Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 7:30 am

... I've been grieving my life, the life I thought I had. The friends, the aspirations, the possibility of find a circle of people where I was welcome, not just tolerated.

Sure, the Dx has explained a lot of things, but it has also pretty much destroyed my self confidence & positive outlook. Things are not going to get better.

The one person I thought was a very good friend, just turned out to be one of those 'nice' people that are being 'kind' & then their patience runs out & they slam you.

So, though ostensibly my life is good in a lot of ways, it's not satisfying. It's empty, gone, pointless. Kind of a big cosmic joke, a karmic dead end.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 8:16 am

Hello DonkeyBuster,

What you say about you and your life is no so different from the way I feel about myself. I am fortunate (very fortunate) to have one very close friend she makes me happy but we lives 100's of miles apart so only get to meet on holidays.

I assume here that Dx is short for diagnosis? I've received an initial diagnosis and have asked for further tests because I want the reassurance that brings. In the United Kingdom we have legislation exclusively in place to ensure ASD people get the help they need and I shall use this to my best advantage.

I wish I could provide words of comfort or hope - perhaps I have a bit? I feel that WP is about the best place to get advice and support and hope someone else here can offer you further words of encouragement.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 4:52 pm

I had a similar experience upon my diagnosis, it was a letdown that I'll forever have to put in extra effort when talking to people and so on, but I was also happy to know myself better, so I can also work on my strengths.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 5:11 pm

Amajanshi wrote:
I had a similar experience upon my diagnosis, it was a letdown that I'll forever have to put in extra effort when talking to people and so on, but I was also happy to know myself better, so I can also work on my strengths.

Hello Amajanshi,
How old be you when diagnosed, and are you totally open with people about having AS ( trust you don't mind me asking)?

I have come to the conclusion to tell the director at my work place - I think she studied psychology so one would hope she's not prejudiced in this respect.

I'd welcome you view, if any about being open with colleagues at work.

Tassie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jun 2010, 2:57 am

When I was diagnosed last year it felt like a bunch of stormtroopers had invaded my life and taken me away to be put in a camp with the 'abnormal' people, and told me there was no way I could ever get back. Now it's like standing behind a pane of glass, watching everyone else living normal, interactive lives and knowing that I'll never be able to be part of it.

I'll never have kids or a partner, and I'm grieving over that - I always assumed it would happen eventually, but now I have to accept that it won't.

Although I've occasionally had friends, they always see me as someone to be fixed, or someone who would be normal if only I'd just try harder.

I am lucky in some ways; I have a job that pays the mortgage, a nice house and I don't have to worry about the bills, but the loneliness is utterly overwhaelming at times. I've done all the right things over my life - joined clubs, made the effort to be friendly and interested in other people, but Aspergers is like a bad smell - people recognise it, even if only subconsciously, and it drives them away.

My family are only interested in me on the most superficial level - there is a wall at my mother's house covered in about 50 'family photographs' and not one of them is of me. I think of it as the Wall of Truth. If I ry to talk to her about anything, she always twists the conversation to how I 'done her wrong' by not being grateful enough for being housed/fed/clothed.

Female Aspies are even more 'wrong', it seems, than male Aspies; lots of the Aspie guys I know found partners without any problem, but men just aren't willing to enter a relationship that requires them to make any effort over the average. Sometimes I feel almost hysterical with fear at the way my life is going to be - I don't want to be alone, but I have no choice. I suppose I could find someone if I was willing to sacrifice the need to have a partner who actually cares about me, but I know that would be stupid and far worse in the end.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2010, 4:41 am

Tassie wrote:
I'll never have kids or a partner, and I'm grieving over that - I always assumed it would happen eventually, but now I have to accept that it won't.

Female Aspies are even more 'wrong', it seems, than male Aspies; lots of the Aspie guys I know found partners without any problem, but men just aren't willing to enter a relationship that requires them to make any effort over the average. Sometimes I feel almost hysterical with fear at the way my life is going to be - I don't want to be alone, but I have no choice. I suppose I could find someone if I was willing to sacrifice the need to have a partner who actually cares about me, but I know that would be stupid and far worse in the end

Tassie:

I am 47y/o and it wasn't till about 18 months ago that I met my girlfriend Ann. Ann and I have a wonderful, open and fulfilling relationship. But before Ann I had no relationship of any significance (including being 'distant' from my own family). Like you I grieve over the fact that I will not be able to have children with Ann, but I feel so lucky that after giving up hope I found someone.

I have read how things are different for Aspie girls and have watched Hale_Bopp's YouTube videos. Have you seen thsese too? Hale_Bopp is WP member and is also on Facebook.

If you are on Facebook and would like to chat some more please let me know and I will give you more details (send a PM here, if you wish)

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 6:53 am

Tassie wrote:
When I was diagnosed last year it felt like a bunch of stormtroopers had invaded my life and taken me away to be put in a camp with the 'abnormal' people, and told me there was no way I could ever get back. Now it's like standing behind a pane of glass, watching everyone else living normal, interactive lives and knowing that I'll never be able to be part of it.

Although I've occasionally had friends, they always see me as someone to be fixed, or someone who would be normal if only I'd just try harder.

I am lucky in some ways; I have a job that pays the mortgage, a nice house and I don't have to worry about the bills, but the loneliness is utterly overwhaelming at times. I've done all the right things over my life - joined clubs, made the effort to be friendly and interested in other people, but Aspergers is like a bad smell - people recognise it, even if only subconsciously, and it drives them away.

My family are only interested in me on the most superficial level - there is a wall at my mother's house covered in about 50 'family photographs' and not one of them is of me. I think of it as the Wall of Truth. If I ry to talk to her about anything, she always twists the conversation to how I 'done her wrong' by not being grateful enough for being housed/fed/clothed.

Female Aspies are even more 'wrong', it seems, than male Aspies; lots of the Aspie guys I know found partners without any problem, but men just aren't willing to enter a relationship that requires them to make any effort over the average. Sometimes I feel almost hysterical with fear at the way my life is going to be - I don't want to be alone, but I have no choice. I suppose I could find someone if I was willing to sacrifice the need to have a partner who actually cares about me, but I know that would be stupid and far worse in the end.

I can almost totally relate... I have a partner, but the rest is my life. I've never thought about an Aspie woman's difficulty in finding a male partner, but I can really see your point. Very few males are nurturing. Most the best they can do is 'bring home the bacon'. I'm a lesbian & so my partner is another woman.

I, too, have done all the right things, & still find myself uninvited to group get-togethers, overlooked, isolated, and avoided. I can really relate to the 'glass wall' feeling... every interaction has become a performance, a show. I wonder if I'll ever be able to just relax & be who I am around others.

Yeah, definitely PM me if you like... it'd be nice to just have a pen pal that gets this experience & isn't always trying to gloss over it or fix me.

Tassie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2010, 3:45 am

Sorry - just reread that and realised that it does come across as one long whine...I do get very down at times.

My brother, whom I'm pretty sure is an undiagnosed Aspie, is getting married next year, which is wonderful. Although we live in different countries, I'm hoping to be allowed to be an auntie. I would like to talk to him about the Aspie stuff, but his fiancee comes from a very close, NT family, and she's desperate for kids - I'm not sure what her reaction would be if she realised that there was a possibility the Aspie thing was genetic. (I'm fairly sure my father was Aspie, also my half-brother and several cousins on the paternal side. Can't be certain, though, as my extended family cut me off when I was 16, so I'm going on childhood memories here.)

There still seems to be a bit of panic among NTs that exposure to someone autistic will somehow damage kids, and that we're not safe to be around. I think, on balance, that it's better not to say anything to him.

About the loneliness thing - it's my own fault, in many ways, as there is a guy at work (almost certainly Aspie) who I think would go out with me, but although we get on well and probably understand each other better than most of those around us, he seems to have this barely controlled fury that scares me. I grew up with one angry, violent parent who was replaced by an angry, emotionally abusive step-parent, and the thought of being around someone who gets angry on a regular basis makes me shake. He has many good qualities, too, and I don't think he would ever be violent or anything like that, but I just can't get past this fear.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2010, 4:27 am

Hi Tassie,

I wish I could say something positive to show I care and I'd like to help if I could.

I thought that the genetic link was still rather doubtful so it's not conductive to a proper understanding of AS if people remain so entrenched in their views. Surely, the more understanding people are, the easier we can all live happily together? I am not sure how near to a normal life you lead, but all I need is to be left alone. I'll go a long way to void the triggers that make me ill, but I can't hide or run forever.

I am not very good at guessing how men think of women (I find that I can't bond with men when it comes to their typical view of relationships). But for me, I just want to be with someone who I can trust and have some fun with. It's taken 46 years, but Ann (my girlfriend) was worth the wait.

I hope what I've said here has some relevance; I hope Ive understood your feelings correctly

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:52 am

clovismackintosh wrote:
Hello Amajanshi,
How old be you when diagnosed, and are you totally open with people about having AS ( trust you don't mind me asking)?

I have come to the conclusion to tell the director at my work place - I think she studied psychology so one would hope she's not prejudiced in this respect.

I'd welcome you view, if any about being open with colleagues at work.

Hi Clovis,

sorry I didn't notice your post.

I got diagnosed at 21 this year, and I'm not totally open with people about having AS.

I told a few of my friends from high school, and I told my supervisors at the hospital I'm working at right now, but nobody else. One of my colleague knows I have it, but that's coz my supervisor was talking about my AS to me in front of her!

I know that most people already see me as weird. I wanna withhold the info from them until a lot later, seeing that they won't really care about me even if I did tell them. I have a feeling that in the teens and young adult years, people are quite superficial and cruel. I don't have to tell everyone, I only tell people on a "need to know" basis. If they were insightful and knowledgeable about ASDs and asked me if I had it, I'll say yes.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

OMG necrothread, sorry