Why do people in public cause aspies trouble?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2013, 3:13 pm

Lately I have been feeling this way, public perception of me, an aspie by other people especially when I drive. Take today for example, someone beeps at me for no reason and I did nothing wrong. I most likely think that people are looking for trouble and to piss off innocent people who are just simply driving along getting to where they need to go. I've been having a hard time clearing my mind of this and I don't know what else to think about people in public anymore.

Has anyone else felt this way and how do you cope with public perception?

stitch4518
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

I feel that way most of the time. I cope by complaining a lot. I tend to tire after a while and complain about the next thing that annoys me. It doesn't work very well by I get by that way. Maybe that's why I have few people ask for rides. Lol. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

Sweet Pea hugsImage

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 1:41 am

I wonder about how people perceive me all the time. Often, people can't make sense of my silence or "blank" expression and they openly make fun of me for it. Perhaps they don't think I can hear them (typically happens at my college). And because my mind needs more time to process things, during a conversation I'm often met with the insult of being asked why I am staring at someone "like an idiot" while they wait for a response. On the road people often are disgruntled by the fact that I take longer at lights and stop signs than most. Coping? When being ridiculed, I used to just stay quiet and try to ignore people, now I don't give a damn what they think of me and if angers me enough, I confront them for it.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 2:41 am

I think its more perception is reality. This stuff happens to everyone and normally what we call immature and aggresive behavior is how those people respond to those things and get through them. How'd you deal with it? I know my mom.. and a couple of other people who would've beeped back, or cussed them out or even stepped out of their car to confront them.

Where as--We realize its stupid and avoid such interactions and acknowledge he practicality is that it'd be better off not happening in the first place.

I don't think anyone is specifically targeted, just when the above solutions are tried, people are either intimidated, realize they don't want to escalate the situation, or infact do escalate it.

But yeah, a lot of drivers in general are annoying.