Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

abhma13
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2013, 9:36 am

I'm just really fed up and frustrated to the point where my head is going to explode about school.
For years I've been treated like a pile of s**t at school with bullying, harassment, taunting, exclusion from everything, and then there comes up the high school graduation.
With high school graduation coming around the corner, I really don't want to go to school graduation because I don't want to stand in front of a school community that has broken me forever.

Should I go or not go?
If not, please give a reason.
If I should go, please give a reason.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 9:54 am

I have mixed feelings. If attending is optional you can exercise your preference to not attend something with these abusive people. Or you can go in spite of their abuse and hold your head high to show they have not broken your spirit.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

It really boils down to how you feel about attending the ceremony, leaving the people attending out of it. If you think you'll regret not attending later in life, then do it. If you don't need the ceremony to punctuate your achievement of making it through high school, then don't. I attended my graduation to make my family happy, but I'm not big on them personally.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

I felt similarly. After all of those years of abuse in our public school system, I didn't feel there was anything to celebrate when I graduated. My parents and grandparents insisted that I go, and it wasn't so bad for me anyways. But I definitely could hav done without it. Do you think you would regret not going? if it's important to you, then I wouldn't let those awful people keep you from going. But I also wuldnt feel obligated to go either.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

I would go just to show them you aren't going to let them get you down but I agree that I couldn't understand what there was to celebrate about high school graduation? It's like celebrating being released from a 3 year prison term after being wrongfully convicted. Relief? Yes. Celebration? No $@%#@ way!

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I would go just to show them you aren't going to let them get you down but I agree that I couldn't understand what there was to celebrate about high school graduation? It's like celebrating being released from a 3 year prison term after being wrongfully convicted. Relief? Yes. Celebration? No $@%#@ way!

Yes! Exactly!

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm

Go if you have any positive social connections at school or if you think you will like the pictures. I went to my high school one but not college. I really just liked having my degree (the framed paper one from college) and have yet to miss having walked the stage.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 12:35 am

I planned to miss both my elementry and high school grads and was forced to go by misunderstanding demanding parents/grandparents. It was nothing special, the extra awords given basicly became a popularity contest. I just sat there zoned out all night. I got my paper and walked out and turned in my gown with out getting any photos and demanded to go home right away. I don't regret the lack of photos, when I got called up in HS grad I herd people whisper my name like they thought I would fail and that hurt. It was all I could do to keep myself together, head down to walk across the stage and I beleave I even tripped on the stairs. I only have 2 of my yearbooks and I don't regret it either. If you don't have any reason to go and don't care for the school or anyone there feel free to stay home.

The only reason I relented on the hour before was becouse grandma has a bad heart and got very very upset at me and I did not want to kill her. I had earlier promesed on the last day of HS to never step foot on that dump again in my life. In short the whole night was an uneeded reminder that I did not and never belonged there.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2013, 1:21 am

GO!! !! !! !! You only have one high school graduation. If you don't attend the closure of your high school career, you can never truly have closure over the things, both good and bad, that happened there. I also considered not attending mine, for the same reasons as you have stated... but I went anyway, for the reasons I have just stated. Result: I am a completely different person than I was in high school. I am much more outgoing, sociable, and overall successful than I was in high school. Why? BECAUSE I PUT THAT BS BEHIND ME. I still talk to all of one person from my high school. Seriously... it's a whole new world after high school. But you will only experience it if you can CLOSE your high school career properly.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:18 am

I skipped the graduation ceremony when I got my MS. My parents were rather upset.

They were in Alaska, but came back to Texas for the graduation. But since they were in Alaska I didn't think they would make it back in time and so I signed the form to skip it.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:13 am

Unless it means something to your family, give it a miss. It's just another case of school celebrating itself; why should you reinforce their stupidity and self-congratulation. There's nothing in it for you.
I suggest spending graduation night doing something you would enjoy.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

I'll add, when I left high school I worked on my frame of mind before hand and was prepared to leave, I made sure to say a final goodbye to all all the teachers I felt some sort of friendship, I had no student friends nor did I know many by name. When I walked out the door in late June closure and healing begin, forceing me to return in october 2 1/2 months later was just picking at a healing scar for me. I think it was closure for my family, that and they love attending this kind of stuff, however it did nothing positive for me at all.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

From my personal experiences and social failures
i would suggest dont go
ignore all this
makes no sense in going and standing like a tree