Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

I have been mildly depressed in the last period, so my point of view on what is happening might be a little skewed by my own emotional turmoils, that's why I'm looking for some objectivity.

Here's what happened:
In december we found out my 10 year old dog was pregnant. It was an accident, the neighbour's dog broke into out garden. She had four puppies and my parents decided not to keep any (I would have liked to keep one). My stepfather decided we all should look for families for the puppies.
One was supposed to be taken by one of my classmates, one by my grandmother, one by the neighbours and the vet found a family for the last one.
Last week, the neighbour's dog killed one of the puppies, and my classmate told me she couldn't take hers anymore.
So now we still have one puppy to give away.
My stepfather has been increasingly mad about this situation, saying we should just give the last puppy to the neighbours (whose dog has killed the other puppy). My mum, my sister and I strongly oppose this, because we were deeply upset by the death of the puppy and by the fact that my stepfather wouldn't let us bring her to the vet in her 8 hours of agony. He has also been mad because he says he doesn't feel like he really is part of the family (even though when he makes a decision there is no way we can oppose it, like when we wanted to bring the puppy to the vet as she was dying).

Today he had a fight with my mum and he's not coming back home. He has done this once before.

Is it right to for me to think that he is being unfair? And that it doesn't make sense that he says he wants us to think of him as our real father but then he can just leave after a fight? Or am I just being irrational and we really should give the puppy to the neighbours who still own the dog who killed the other puppy, and we really shouldn't have brought her to the vet when she was agonizing?

(Excuse me for the lack of coherence but I am pretty upset)

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

My heart goes out to you. It sounds like yourself and most of your family sees the irrationality in sending another puppy to the neighbors. It does not sound like this puppy would be safe given what happened to its sibling. Is there a reason you couldn't keep just 1 puppy? I hope your stepdad calms down and comes around. It sounds like he is trying to manipulate and control the situation by threatening to not come back. That's not a good way to live.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

Your stepdad sounds like a manipulative and controlling jerk. DON'T give the neighbors the other puppy! Look for someone else who can take it. Put an add in the paper or something.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2013, 10:05 am

LizNY wrote:
Is there a reason you couldn't keep just 1 puppy?
I might be moving out next year, and my sister in three years, so my parents don't want the burden of another dog. I get that, what I don't get is why, since they want to give the dog away, I have to find someone to give it to. I have tried but it's not my fault if I can't find anybody else.

Thank you for your replies.