please pray for WPer ASS-P!

Page 7 of 14 [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 7:19 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Until you say otherwise, auntblabby, I will continue to simply send him $ for food on a small scale - what I can afford. After money for food he sorely needs legal help arranged for him, and a safe place to call home. Would he take care of his foot and other medical problems if he had these other necessities taken care of? Sorry this is so difficult - it is ridiculous and heartless that this is happening to people, that it is so hard to simply help someone in need.

he has told me that [and it seems obvious to me] that if he had a steady place to call home [and a health services "home" also] then his food would finally have a chance to heal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 7:21 pm

Keni wrote:
There are a lot of things to consider with a lasting solution - we certainly need input from more US people on legalese.
-Even if a very cheap property is purchased, I am guessing the government could snatch it for fines if it was in his name.
- There don't seem to be any cheap properties in his area- would he want to move? Is there a law against him moving because of the fines?
- Many cheaper places are away from transport and facilities.
- Would it be possible to buy a small very basic caravan and find someone willing to offer cheap rent on their land?

I suggested to him that he move the hell outta California but he has no transportation and no $$$ for transportation. also his mail drop-off place is there, and he'd have to get that changed over to where he would be moving which I believe might be beyond his ken right now. for better or worse, the dribs and drabs of $$ we are sending him piecemeal, are the best we can do for now unless somebody with legal talent steps up.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

Isn't the owner of this site from LA? What better cause to draw attention to than this one?

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2013, 7:35 pm

Yes, I was thinking of a small land or yard space being found in his local area,
then minimal rent paid for him to put a basic van there (you call them RVs I think?)

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2013, 7:43 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Isn't the owner of this site from LA? What better cause to draw attention to than this one?

That would be good, but you might get people saying that it's favouritism, or unfair to others in need.
Also, for many publicised media "causes" mainstream people like to have someone photogenic, coherent and looking suitably deserving.
Sad but true.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 7:49 pm

Well, I've just sent him a message, since he's in California and an activist maybe he can offer advice on what avenues would be available. I still have a hard time believing that people in tough situation should just be left to die in some gutter. I'm sure some kind of help must exist, I just don't have any idea of the laws and resources in the area...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:18 pm

Keni wrote:
That would be good, but you might get people saying that it's favouritism, or unfair to others in need.
Also, for many publicised media "causes" mainstream people like to have someone photogenic, coherent and looking suitably deserving.
Sad but true.

One day, a little girl was walking along the beach when she came upon a starfish that was dying in the sun. She picked it up, threw it back into the ocean, and continued her stroll along the seashore.
She came upon another starfish, and another, and she continued to throw them back into the ocean until she realized that the entire shore was covered with washed-up starfish.
A little boy encountered the girl, who one-by-one was throwing each starfish back into the ocean, and asked "Why are you wasting your time saving these starfish? You will never be able to save them all.” The little girl replied, "Well, I may not be able to save them all, but I can save this one."
And with that she threw another starfish back into the ocean. The boy, at first confused by the girl’s relentless motivation to save the starfish, then decided to join the little girl by throwing each fish back into the ocean. Then many children decided to join in and help, and soon there were boys and girls scattered all along the shore, saving the lives of the washed-up starfish.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm

Auntblabby, I completely agree :)
I would love to see this publicised.
I meant don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen "officially" on this site because of policies etc.

I tend to have a handful of assorted starfish regularly!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm

^^^
:wtg:

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 2:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
vagrancy laws prohibit homelessness, not to put too fine a point on it. he is being fined simply for occupying space when the powers-that-be would rather that he just disappear.

If the system works anything like the one in the UK it goes like this.
Once fines are against your name and no arrangements are made to pay them off, penalty charges and additional fines are added due to nonpayment, interest can also charged on the amount 'owed'.

Last night I was reading that Santa Cruz is notable for it's criminalising of homelessness through Sit-lie ordinances (in a public place) and laws against loitering.

Keep up the good work guys, you are doing well. This could turn into a life changing event for many.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 2:28 am

the system is designed to make sure the homeless stay homeless.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 2:44 am

Around 30% of US cities have these kind of laws, although it seems some have been challenged in Florida.

It's ironic that Santa Cruz projects an image of progressive ideals but does not want it's clean streets tainted with vagrancy.
'It's not okay to be homeless, but if you are homeless, then you had better be homeless somewhere else.'

Keep on keeping on, as soon as I get some work and money I'll get the address from you AuntB.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 3:59 am

From reading all these informative posts, the social system has grievously failed ASS-P, which is a bureaucratic downward spiral and seemingly no where to turn. Just so sorry for all these complications when he really needs basic medical care, nutrition and a place. Like all have posted, there's just got to be a better way. I guess 'how' is the question. I'm sure right now ASS-P needs a big dose of encouragement and caring to bolster his confidence to face this multiple-fold battle.

From these posts, maybe an influential person (e.g. social worker, legal advocate) can intervene and make a plan soon. So worried for him in the meantime. Maybe drawing attention to the matter will make the difference.

I wonder if residential housing would work. Even nursing homes can sometimes provide care (and not just to old people!) who are at risk, just till there's a better place found. Maybe the Salvation Army. I do not know if ASS-P belongs to any religious group (does not really matter), but sometimes churches have good access to social resources that elude government agencies. Even for emergency shelter.

Sigh.....well, we need a girl on the beach to collect our starfish.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2013, 4:52 am

LabPet wrote:
Sigh.....well, we need a girl on the beach to collect our starfish.

and less bureaucrats making things worse

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 8:12 am

i forgot on tuesday (when i was at the bank) to deal with the process of buying $100 USD to mail to him, and i have been too busy since then to go back to the bank. i will deal with the matter on monday, shortly after lunch.

but a life support system of continuous donations is not the answer.

i wonder how many normal americans would feel serious compassion for him if his plight was honestly broadcast by the media?

i can not imagine that there would be many who agree with the vagrancy fines imposed on him and the interest they accrue. what type of insectival society could accept that a person should be fined for living on the earth without paying for that "right".

the fines should be rescinded. it is not through malpractice that he incurred the fines. it was due to incompetence.

incompetence to secure a job to fund his domiciliary requirements, and therefore helplessness with respect to being homeless. people should not be punished for things that are outside of their control.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jul 2013, 3:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the system is designed to make sure the homeless stay homeless.
'''

Auntblabby, I don't understand the US system. In California there are people in movies and entertainment who have more money than most of us will see in a lifetime, and live in palatial mansions in Beverly Hills, the size of shopping malls. Yet poor people are fined for vagrancy/homelessless which is somehow a crime in "land of the free" America? Something is seriously wrong with the picture and with society as a whole, and this is a good example of how unfair the system is. I wish I could offer material help but our exchange rate against the dollar makes it impracticable.

Thank you to all the WPers who have helped. I was concerned as I hadn't seen any threads by Ass-P for a while, and only noticed your thread this evening while browsing here.

Let's show solidarity and persistence. That's the way positive change is achieved.

Keep up the good work.