Opportunity Costs - military

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2014, 9:55 pm

I am in a strange predicament. I am in the military, with a technology- MOS I truely don't want to do, but it's only for 3 years (eternity but it's do-able).... I had to be reclass from my dream MOS to one I don't like. I figured I'll do it, and once I am out I'll never do this kind of work again and just go right into college for something I truely want to do; medical (nursing or medical school) with my GI bill. I am not sure if I want to do this during college or not.... I really just find the whole job boring and dull. But it's an okay "day-job"... I can do it, which is all that matters to me.

Now, I am in training, and my mos is offering "free" certifications, but that material is a lot more complicated than being JUST qualify to do my job, so I have to put an ungodly amount of time and energy to just prepare for that.... the material is worth months of training down to just a few weeks. ..... If I don't get the certificates here, then I'll have to pay for them out of my pocket "2-3k" worth for all of them. I can hardly manage just getting MOS qualify.

But I am not sure if it's worth going for the certs.... I also want to focus on my PT, my sleep, and become a ranger... to be qualify for ranger school; extra $400 a month once a ranger. And maybe get my certificates at later date when I know what I am really doing with experience, just in case I want to fall back on this job after my contract is over. I could spend 2-3k three years from now easily if I know that I'll pass with ease, and the experience alone makes this MOS worth it.... I could easily get a job that pays 45k-55k then.

I can't say I am lazy.... I just don't have the time because it's condense so much, unless I want to trade the 6-7 hours of sleep that I need.... which impairs me a lot. Formations, military training, socializing, PT... there's no time. (The only ones who get the CERTS are those who already have experience in this field or really anti-social/no real life at all.... school already last from 8 till 6 p.m.).

----
I don't want to close the Ranger school door for Certifications I could later in the future. What do you guys think??? I need at least 2-3 hours of exercise a day to get ready for that.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

What is the Technology and how long is the school?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 11:29 pm

Don't wait until you are out of the military to start your college. Do it now, while you are still on active duty.