ex's, inlaws and feeling bad

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 4:49 pm

I took my 2 sons (10 months and 2 yrs) to my ex bfs flat to visit with his aunty and mother. It was really horrible.

I was with my ex ( both AS) for 5 years on and off and whilst we both love each other we have an abusive relationship which is horrible for both of us much of the time. We are still close and good friends and sometimes lovers and a lot of time hateful and rowing. I through him out last january for being too violent and he was homeless for several months but now has a flat but weve kept all the bad stuff from his family. I take the boys round his flat 3 times a week and meet up on top of that in the park or to go to town but he doesnt come to my house as its hard to get him out if he turns nasty.

During this visit with my ex's mum and aunty, they were so inappropriate and upsetting. My ex is a very private man who likes his things left alone and dislikes noseyness and intrusion but his mum and aunty have no respect for this. They insisted on going through all his things and cleaning his kitchen, replacing things of his that they dont like, moving his furniture around, going through his cupboards, drawers, letters. They dont listen and just dismiss protestations that they stop and its so stressful. They make horrible grilling conversations and make one reveal too much and judge on what one has said. They made my 2 year old cry twice by doing horrible discipline/bantering and be really disapproving about everything. After all previous visits they have phoned my ex and grilled him on whether Im stealing money, food, belongings from him and even phoned his social worker once to warn him I was demanding money off him (I wasnt and have not).

I hate them so much, I dont want to see them again, Ive binged really badly on food as Im so upset and feel like crap, I want to die, they make me so self loathing and stressed.

but I dont want to be unfair to my ex or our boys. I want to support my ex and not let him down, its bad enough for him dealing with them, I dont want to make him feel worse about it. I dont want to make him feel torn between us or feel Im getting at him too.

also I dont want to leave my boys alone at their visit as I worry about the inlaws making them sad and my ex not coping looking after the boys whilst being bullied by his family (multitasking!).

whats the right thing to do?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 4:48 am

Ugh, damn in-laws with zero respect for boundaries, I don?t have children, but i wouldn?t leave them alone with your in laws until they are older and can respond with awareness. If you set boundaries I doubt (based on their respect for your ex?s personal boundaries) they would respect yours either. Can you introduce a different location? A neutral one? Not all the time, just as a break, walk to the nearest park/alternative for some family time... alone. The in laws are a permanent fixture, minimise contact through valid, mum, dad and kids time.
I don't know what the right thing is to do, my input should come with a disclaimer.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

I've got a fairly intrusive mother-in-law myself.

The best (lowest conflict and lowest stress) solution I have been able to come up with is to accommodate, accommodate, accommodate.

Do it their way, do what they say, just go along with it all (unless you can get multiple professional opinions or a court order instructing you to do otherwise).

You can do things differently when they're not around (unfortunately for me MIL lives with us half the year), and you can tell the kids that what they are doing is wrong and should be ignored/not emulated, but you will never succeed in getting them to stop the behavior. Which leaves you with distance, conflict, or compliance.

Out of those three, I recommend either distance or compliance. All conflict does is increase your stress level and their pleasure in tormenting you.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 4:38 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I've got a fairly intrusive mother-in-law myself.

The best (lowest conflict and lowest stress) solution I have been able to come up with is to accommodate, accommodate, accommodate.

Do it their way, do what they say, just go along with it all (unless you can get multiple professional opinions or a court order instructing you to do otherwise).

You can do things differently when they're not around (unfortunately for me MIL lives with us half the year), and you can tell the kids that what they are doing is wrong and should be ignored/not emulated, but you will never succeed in getting them to stop the behavior. Which leaves you with distance, conflict, or compliance.

Out of those three, I recommend either distance or compliance. All conflict does is increase your stress level and their pleasure in tormenting you.

Im definitely done with accommodating them, Ive 'bent over backwards' for them the last 5 years and its got me no where, I wish I had always just put myself first as they could not think worse of me.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 5:01 pm

I keep trying to think up of a worthwhile reply, but I can't.

Does Tom really need them in his life?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

Amity wrote:
Ugh, damn in-laws with zero respect for boundaries, I don?t have children, but i wouldn?t leave them alone with your in laws until they are older and can respond with awareness. If you set boundaries I doubt (based on their respect for your ex?s personal boundaries) they would respect yours either. Can you introduce a different location? A neutral one? Not all the time, just as a break, walk to the nearest park/alternative for some family time... alone. The in laws are a permanent fixture, minimise contact through valid, mum, dad and kids time.
I don't know what the right thing is to do, my input should come with a disclaimer.

when my ex lived with me we mostly met them at a cafe but now my ex has his own place his family feel they can intrude whenever and however they like. I saw my ex today and he said he was in a really bad way last night after I left (half way through the inlaw visit) and they got much more intrusive and he was upset all evening and we were both still upset all day today still. So Im hoping he will put them off coming when they ask next, claim sickness or something. He agreed to me not seeing them again anyway which is something. They make me feel so bad, his aunty curls her lip at me everytime I say anything, makes me feel so bad.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 5:22 pm

smudge wrote:
I keep trying to think up of a worthwhile reply, but I can't.

Does Tom really need them in his life?

He says he wants them to love him. He said he doesnt want them in the flat again though as they drove him so mad, he was really really upset by it. They wouldnt even let him have his own mobile phone on his table wtf! He went to the loo and they moved his sofa to the other wall 8O

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 5:26 pm

That's very intrusive. He had every right to tell them to leave right there and then. I wouldn't have anything to do with them if I was him (or you).

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

smudge wrote:
That's very intrusive. He had every right to tell them to leave right there and then. I wouldn't have anything to do with them if I was him (or you).

Yeah Im going to just have to be firm about not seeing them again as I still felt bad/ill about it today and I dont want to feel this bad again. I think I will try not having the boys visit with them the next time they come, to see if it makes them be nicer to Tom and then leave the boys with Tom for the visit after that.