Dealing with a parent who pressure and overwhelm you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I made this thread because I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, if not downright depressed and bitter, because of my mother getting angry at me over mistakes I make when attempting to perform and complete a new task, and I feel like I have no one else to turn to.

I do admit that those mistakes I've made were my fault because of my incompetence, and I understand that she was doing her best to help me become a lot more responsible, such as paying my own rent, making payments to my credit card, cleaning my bedroom, speaking with customer support through the telephone, and paying bills on time. I just can no longer put up with her making a fuss about it when it is my first time attempting them.

One incident is when my mother had me fill out a deposit slip for a check to be deposited in my checking account in the bank, and I didn't realize I had to fill in the numbers of the date next to each other in the same box instead of slashes and dashes as usual.

Another incident, which happened today, she blew up at me for losing thirty six dollars worth of items in Wal-Mart, such as cleaning utensils, a chain for my bike, and hygiene products. I was pretty sure we had those items in my sister's car, but realized it was too late by the time we were back home the items we despite efforts into searching my sister's car, having her to look for the items in her apartment if she had them, and looking for them all over the household.

I just can't help but to feel sad and dejected because I failed to complete those new tasks despite efforts of listening, hearing, being instructed on how to do them by the person who I'm close to and love so much.

I neither made this thread just so you guys can feel sorry for me nor I am blaming my mom for my own faults and shortcomings.

Have any of you ladies and gentlemen have or had parents who get angry and blow up at you for making repeated mistakes when trying out new tasks? How do you handle and cope with them? What advice would you give me and people who experience similar situations?

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:35 am

Did you go back to the store? They will keep stuff at customer service if you left stuff in the store that you paid for at the register. Also, if you left it in the parking lot, someone may have turned it in to customer service.

The best you can do in these situations is to apologize and do what you can to correct or make better on the mistake, for instance, in this case going to the store to look for the items. Remember it falls to the offended person (I mean the person the mistake adversely impacts) to forgive you or to let you off the hook, so don't guilt yourself beyond what you are capable of fixing and don't take the responsibility of their forgiveness on yourself. What I mean is, don't think or act like you've done something monumentally harmful because you haven't. It was inconvenient, nothing more. You can feel bad about it and guilty about it, but don't let it depress you to the point you feel defeated. Don't let disappointment feed any perseverative thoughts or emotions about your competency. Try not to make the same mistake next time.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:38 am

My parents are like that too sometimes I wish they weren't the people taking care of me
They nag too much, they don't want me to practice my special intrests saying its stupid and that I should grow up and get serious, they also say I'm not normal they always bring down my confidence when they do that, they are very serious and I don't like that and they don't like it when I don't spend time with them lol well they depress me so I can't even force myself to sit with them, they never helped me through my hard times or something and as a child I was very distant from them, they are so serious and cold I can't talk to them and wouldn't want to. Even though I'm with them at home it feels like I'm all alone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:57 am

LOL....why do you think I left my mother's house at age 20?

I went through quite similar things with my mother. It's an inevitable part of growing up. Adults tend to be tough on kids because they think it's "tough love."