Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 4:37 pm

When is someone ready to move out of their parents' and rent somewhere on their own? What should they consider? What should they know? Discuss.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 9:11 pm

when you earn enough money to pay for your expenses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 9:42 pm

when you have watched your parents pay their monthly utility bills and or rent . Then , if you could figure out ,how to do that and pay attention to your job.. And figure your own transportation out. Then after you get comfortable with doing that stuff.. without help ..then you might have a try...Living on your own might not be all its cracked up to be , but ,Its a real Important step to accomplish. Sometime or the other , you may very well end up on your own...
Sonetimes if you can find "fairly honest adequate roomates" can be a good start for some people . Real good education for being around new people in living situations . And not bad advise, was once given , "People WILL judge you by your friends" .....Safer than sorry, with people.
Fon't firget if you need a credit card or bank account or credit Union account, with a checking account attached .To write checks to pay bills, with the money you try to save in the bank from a job. And make it a very serious thing.
All big steps , to get comfortable with.

where ever you go ,there you are

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:44 am

Quote:
When is someone ready to move out of their parents' and rent somewhere on their own? What should they consider? What should they know? Discuss.

I don't know what to say about how to know if someone is ready to move out on their own or not.
Some things to consider/know:
It's not bad to look for places where monthly rent will be equal to or less than one weeks wages. It's good to have an idea of how much monthly bills will be, the cost of bills might need to be factored in as "monthly rent" in order to figure out whether a place is going to work for you or not. If you can cover regular expenses with about a weeks worth of wages then you should be good as far as that goes.
Take pictures of EVERYTHING when you move in somewhere. Inspect everything. Test outlets, check for leaks. Look for stained carpet and chipped paint, broken windows, etc. Make note of everything. You don't want to end up paying for something you didn't damage. If you don't have proof that x thing was in x condition when you moved in then it might well end up being your problem.
Any agreement made with a landlord should be in writing.
Roommates and housemates can be great or they can be terrible. I lived with roommates for a long time, and in weird crash pads and punk houses. I think it can be a great experience. I really miss living with house mates. It might not be or have been very healthy for me but they were the only regular source of human interaction that I had for most of my life. Having spent the last few years living alone, I think I was better off in pretty much every way when I was in a house with a bunch of other people. Even when it was bad.
I think that moving into someone else's space can be really difficult. Sometimes one roommate or an established group of house mates has everything the way they want it, so it can be hard to adjust to other peoples routines.
Just make sure you clean up after yourself (wash your dishes!).
I can't write anymore right now.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:02 am

Make enough money so you aren't just working for a roof over your head.
Try to have savings.
Otherwise I don't see the point for many people leaving their parents.

Get renter's insurance for your contents.

Try not to have anyone living above you.
You don't want their noise or their water leaks.
Other people's leaks are seldom covered on insurance.

Have a reliable security system.
Investigate crime stats for the area.

Consider having a pet if you work from home.
You'll feel less lonely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:51 am

When is a good time to move out and live on your own?

The IDEAL time is when your weekly net income (what's left after taxes and such) is four times the monthly rent.

So if your weekly net income is $800 (US), you will need to find a place that costs no more than that much per month.

Hmm . . . wage $18 per hour . . . 40 hours . . . $720 gross . . . minus 33% for taxes (etc) . . . $480 weekly net.

Good luck with that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:56 am

Fnord wrote:

The IDEAL time is when your weekly net income (what's left after taxes and such) is four times the monthly rent.

So if your weekly net income is $800 (US), you will need to find a place that costs no more than that much per month.

Hmm . . . wage $18 per hour . . . 40 hours . . . $720 gross . . . minus 33% for taxes (etc) . . . $480 weekly net.

Good luck with that.

It gets tricky. I personally think it's vital to have sufficient left over money to escape renting one day. It's all too common to see people get stuck in a rut.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 3:06 am

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Good luck with that.
It gets tricky. I personally think it's vital to have sufficient left over money to escape renting one day. It's all too common to see people get stuck in a rut.
Yes, that's why the (somewhat arbitrary) 25% Rule.  The remaining 75% should be spent only on necessities, so that any remaining income can be set aside as savings (or maybe even investments).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:09 pm

MIGHT CHECK INTO SUBSIDIZED COUNCIL HOUSING. if that is appropriate for you ..but all the other suggestions made in this thread seem very good ..i think . 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

where ever you go ,there you are