Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

A couple days after Christmas, my dog Spike had reached his limit with his old age and we had him put to sleep. Not too long ago, my youngest cat fell into depression probably noticing Spike is no longer with us. She doesn't eat, she doesn't clean herself, and I don't know what to do. She's getting lighter and weaker and I fear she may be losing the will to live or something. I don't want to lose another pet this soon. What do I do?


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,237
Location: Indiana

11 Jan 2020, 12:09 pm

It is a little hard to say.

You might try Catnip!
When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors. ... Cats may rub against and chew on catnip to bruise the leaves and stems, which then release more nepetalactone. Catnip is safe for cats.

You cat may have contracted an illness. In that case you might take the cat to the vet.



Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 877

11 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

Failing that, could you adopt another cat or dog? Maybe kitty is just lonely.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 12:21 pm

jimmy m wrote:
It is a little hard to say.

You might try Catnip!
When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors. ... Cats may rub against and chew on catnip to bruise the leaves and stems, which then release more nepetalactone. Catnip is safe for cats.

You cat may have contracted an illness. In that case you might take the cat to the vet.

I'm trying catnip right now and she's not feeling it even though I'm rubbing it in her face.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 12:22 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Failing that, could you adopt another cat or dog? Maybe kitty is just lonely.

I have another dog, Ringo, but she's used to him.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,657
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

11 Jan 2020, 12:25 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It is a little hard to say.

You might try Catnip!
When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors. ... Cats may rub against and chew on catnip to bruise the leaves and stems, which then release more nepetalactone. Catnip is safe for cats.

You cat may have contracted an illness. In that case you might take the cat to the vet.

I'm trying catnip right now and she's not feeling it even though I'm rubbing it in her face.


May need to take the cat to the vet in that case.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It is a little hard to say.

You might try Catnip!
When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors. ... Cats may rub against and chew on catnip to bruise the leaves and stems, which then release more nepetalactone. Catnip is safe for cats.

You cat may have contracted an illness. In that case you might take the cat to the vet.

I'm trying catnip right now and she's not feeling it even though I'm rubbing it in her face.


May need to take the cat to the vet in that case.

I'll have to wait til Monday. I don't think she'll make it by then.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,972
Location: London

11 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

My dog fell into a depression too when her sister died. She became very passive and friendly, vulnerable, and extremely down. She developed Cushing's disease too. After about a year she perked up again, but she was never the same. It was one of those rare occasions when my sister hugged me, because we both really didn't want our dog to die. The dog lasted a lot longer than we thought she would, a few years in fact. :)

I would let your cat cuddle with you as often as possible, and be friendlier, softer and gentler with her.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 1:45 pm

smudge wrote:
My dog fell into a depression too when her sister died. She became very passive and friendly, vulnerable, and extremely down. She developed Cushing's disease too. After about a year she perked up again, but she was never the same. It was one of those rare occasions when my sister hugged me, because we both really didn't want our dog to die. The dog lasted a lot longer than we thought she would, a few years in fact. :)

I would let your cat cuddle with you as often as possible, and be friendlier, softer and gentler with her.

Ever since we brought her in, she was never into cuddling. She does not like to be babied at all. You'd sit in an armchair, she'd rest on the arm of the armchair, never in your lap and that was about as close to bonding as you could get. I think she liked to be treated as equals.
Looking up Cushing's disease, I also came across Addison Disease. This sounds a lot like what she's going through. "loss of appetite, lethargy, dehydration, and a gradual loss of body condition."


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,972
Location: London

11 Jan 2020, 1:59 pm

It was so long ago, I can't remember if we put her on medication or not.

Apparently both diseases are "two sides of the same coin", and both affect the adrenal glands (from what I Googled) so what you said would make sense. Our dogs were Chihuahuas.

Hmm, maybe just do/give her more of her favourite thing then. I don't get cats, doesn't mean I don't appreciate that some people love them. One tried to use me as a shield the other day, walking beside me and only walked when I walked. I didn't even know the cat. It followed me for ages.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 2:06 pm

smudge wrote:
It was so long ago, I can't remember if we put her on medication or not.

Apparently both diseases are "two sides of the same coin", and both affect the adrenal glands (from what I Googled) so what you said would make sense. Our dogs were Chihuahuas.

Hmm, maybe just do/give her more of her favourite thing then. I don't get cats, doesn't mean I don't appreciate that some people love them. One tried to use me as a shield the other day, walking beside me and only walked when I walked. I didn't even know the cat. It followed me for ages.

I'll try to ease her pain.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm

Her cries are loud. We can't get her to do much and my younger brother has started to cry. All I can ask is why.
Why are Vet office hours so short on Saturdays? Why is everything closed on a Sunday? Why did my parents think this weekend was perfect to have a short getaway? Why did my father think it was a good idea to wait and see regarding my cat's condition? We kept telling him something might be wrong. He kept telling us, she just misses Spike and she'll get over it. Well look what's becoming of her now! She responds to everything with lethargy. Earlier today, she could drag herself under the armchair to hide. Now she reminds me of Spike during his last day. Can't get up and walk anymore, can't eat, can't drink, etc. We might have a funeral tomorrow before mom and dad even come home.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,398
Location: United States of America

11 Jan 2020, 10:21 pm

Just several minutes ago, she died. Honey, my youngest cat, died and I'm filled with so much anger right now. We're scrambling around trying to figure out what to do with the body at this hour of night and my parents, wherever they are, still haven't texted me back.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 877

11 Jan 2020, 11:07 pm

Oh no, that's awful! :(

For the sake of your other cat(s) and your dog, call the vet Monday and tell them what has happened. You may want to have the other pets checked in case something contagious is going round.

Sorry to hear that Honey died, especially so soon after Spike, and hope that you & your little brother can work through this all right. Losing a pet is no fun at all.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,237
Location: Indiana

12 Jan 2020, 8:08 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Just several minutes ago, she died. Honey, my youngest cat, died and I'm filled with so much anger right now. We're scrambling around trying to figure out what to do with the body at this hour of night and my parents, wherever they are, still haven't texted me back.


I am sorry to hear about the loss of you cat. I have lost many cats and dogs over the years. I live in the country. Normally when a pet dies, I bury it. I dig a hole deep enough that other animals will not dig it up and bury the animal.