Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Valhalla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2007, 7:55 pm

We all know people with AS tend to suffer from depression more and I was wondering if there are any statistics about people with AS and a suicide rate?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 May 2007, 9:52 pm

It wasn't accepted as a condition in the DSM-IV until 1994, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of statistics, I think. And I hope any statistics would take into account the differences between a life led as a weirdo and a life led as a special kid.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 11:37 pm

Shoot, I'm a weirdo and was a special kid. Now I'm just a weirdo. I suppose I wouldn't count :-)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 1:45 am

Valhalla wrote:
We all know people with AS tend to suffer from depression more and I was wondering if there are any statistics about people with AS and a suicide rate?

I'm thinking anything that might be tried now would be way whacked. Look at all the newer older folks that are just finding out they've had it forever. How many didn't know and took there lives. With Bipolar you can look it up and it isn't good when compared to an averge per "normal". But manic /depressibe (BP) has been known about for longer. maybe in a longer period of time one might get a more accurate grip on a rate.

Another thing to consider, is those little friends that come along some times. In my case PTSD, which can be a killer on it's own.

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2007, 3:06 am

I don't think you could find any accurate statistics now - maybe in ten years or more. Too many Aspies are undiagnosed, or have co-morbidities, and/or could commit suicide due to things that happen to us as a result of having Asperger's (bullying, for instance), as opposed to due to the Asperger's itself. I think this is more complex than with some of the other mental illnesses, and I say that as someone who has a great deal of familiarity with them, with family & friends.