My life is becoming a mess and having a sh***y day

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 11:06 am

I an just in such a bad mood today and realizing how much of a mess my life is. I'm failing a subject in school and it's not even the end of the first semester. There's so much to memorize and I can never seem to catch up. My parents never took a University level science course in high school so they can't help me much. My teacher refuses to help me until I memorize it all and I've tried and I can't do it!! ! I have no friends left either. One of my friends is having some sort of problem which she won't talk to us about and shes always depressed and quiet and it's no fun to talk to her anymore. My other friend never sits with us anymore. My best friend has a bf and she never asks me to hang out anymore. She only hangs out with him and I haven't seen her the past 2 weekends and we usually see each other every weekend. We talk in school but all she talks about is him. No one in my other classes talks to me that much and it's depressing cuz I have no one left. I like a guy who isn't allowed to date but we still hang out and it seems hes the only one who cares about me. We're still friends but both our hormones are starting to take over and it's turning into more than friends. Idk who to turn to cuz my parents don't know about him and my friends don't care and neither does my sister. I have no older siblings to talk to either. I'm stuck.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

What specific subject is it that you are failing? The problem may be that the teacher is not teaching in a way that is easy for you to learn. You may need to watch some Youtube videos on the subject with someone else teaching it. That's what I have to do. Memorizing a bunch of stuff is not learning. There is something wrong with our educational system.

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

It's Grade 12 University Biology. So much to memorize and I'm failing. Teacher isn't that good at helping me, my parents don't know any of it and my friends don't talk to me anymore cuz of what I said above but they don't know anything about it either.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2016, 6:34 pm

Hi Anna,

I know that memorizing a lot of information can be difficult. Some of the strategies that have helped me over the years are 1) try to break the information into smaller relatable groupings. 2) making a song out of the facts can help too. (doesn't have to be a Top 40 hit...just has to stick in your memory ) Or turn the information into a script with funny voices. 3) I have also recorded 5-10 minute audio files on my phone of me reading over the information. Then I can play it back in my car, listen to it at home, or even just on my phone when I have a few minutes. 4) I have found that 15 minutes of focused attention to the subject matter a few times a day works out a lot better than once a day for an hour. 5) If you know you have to memorize a lot of information, be kind to yourself and start the process early. 6) Research shows that reading it, writing it, and hearing it, will help you internalize the information better.

If this is a University level science class that you are taking in High School...you must be doing something right in order to be able to take this class!! Does the school afford you any accommodations? If you are putting your best effort into the class and your teacher is still not helping you, it might be time to speak with someone above him/her that can help you.

Sorry I don't have any advice for the other aspects of your post. Hang in there. Your mood will change, I'm sure. Kind Regards Shark

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:11 pm

Use 3x5 index cards and make flash cards out of them. On one side, you type or write a question and on the other side, the answer. The advantage of this is you can go through the cards any time you have just a short break, you can start and stop any time you like, and you also have something to help review for the final. The cards that you know really well can be temporarily removed from the pack, so that you can focus on those you don't.

Anyway, it worked for me. Also, your parents could help you drill, even if they don't understand the concepts, because you would be the one making the cards.

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

I use index cards, writing out a chapter by hand, and recording questions and answers and then listening to them.

I recommend online videos. Search free online courses if that appeals to you. Like Khan or Use my. I have used Khan and I love it. Also, sometimes there are free online homework help websites. I haven't used those so I don't know any to point you to.

Don't ever give up on yourself!