Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,182
Location: England

10 Jan 2017, 4:46 pm

I havent had face to face contact with anyone in a week and im going crazy. I also have exam on friday that im doing really badly at. I feel like im struggling more than ever than in the last few years.

I'm supposed to be doing a project but its so unclear because my supervisor has not explained it clearly and just assumes i know. I'm 2 months behind because he always cancels on me aswell.

I'm just having a s**t time at the moment :cry:



cricketman123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 317
Location: England

10 Jan 2017, 4:51 pm

I know i'm not the one to give the best advice. But try not to worry about the exam, what sort of exam is it may i ask?

I also have a exam tomorrow and next Wednesday, my tutor said to our class that if you don't put anything we won't get anything, so my advice is have a look through the exam on friday, the questions you don't know you could guess because you never know, they might be right.

Also if you have his phone number perhaps phone him, or send him a email?



Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,182
Location: England

10 Jan 2017, 5:09 pm

cricketman123 wrote:
I know i'm not the one to give the best advice. But try not to worry about the exam, what sort of exam is it may i ask?

I also have a exam tomorrow and next Wednesday, my tutor said to our class that if you don't put anything we won't get anything, so my advice is have a look through the exam on friday, the questions you don't know you could guess because you never know, they might be right.

Also if you have his phone number perhaps phone him, or send him a email?


dont be silly i appreciate any advice. I just get so stressed about exams and have done hardly any revision. Its essay questions on immunology and its hard because like IL-2 IL-4 IL-10 are all different things with different functions

I have a meeting with him tommorow but trying to talk about it with him is hard because he like tries to explain but doesnt



Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,192
Location: NZ

10 Jan 2017, 5:15 pm

Well then do revision. The question you should ask yourself is why are you posting here?

Maybe tell him you don't get what he is saying and maybe he will try to articulate himself better.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,863
Location: Sagittarius A

10 Jan 2017, 5:22 pm

Sounds like maybe you should take a moment for yourself and visit someone you feel comfortable being around and do something that relieves some stress, have some fun. Once your head is clear, think about what you're stuck on and formulate some questions that will help your supervisor help you figure out what needs to be done. Best of luck!


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,182
Location: England

10 Jan 2017, 5:22 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Well then do revision. The question you should ask yourself is why are you posting here?

Maybe tell him you don't get what he is saying and maybe he will try to articulate himself better.


I am hahaha im just taking short breaks because I have a short attention span so do quick stints. Its just hard because it was a intense 2 week lecture period and then only 2 weeks for revision.

I just dont want him to think i am not intelligent enough, this guy is like an insane genius



Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,182
Location: England

10 Jan 2017, 5:24 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
Sounds like maybe you should take a moment for yourself and visit someone you feel comfortable being around and do something that relieves some stress, have some fun. Once your head is clear, think about what you're stuck on and formulate some questions that will help your supervisor help you figure out what needs to be done. Best of luck!


I dont know anyone here sadly

would it be weird to take in a list of questions?



Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,192
Location: NZ

10 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Well then do revision. The question you should ask yourself is why are you posting here?

Maybe tell him you don't get what he is saying and maybe he will try to articulate himself better.


I am hahaha im just taking short breaks because I have a short attention span so do quick stints. Its just hard because it was a intense 2 week lecture period and then only 2 weeks for revision.

I just dont want him to think i am not intelligent enough, this guy is like an insane genius
Then make yourself work harder gradually you may start the learn the more time you put into it. If you think you won't be able to help yourself you will end up getting nowhere. Sometimes we got to work even if we are bad at it, I can barely comprehend maths but I did it 6 hours a day regardless because if I had failed, I would have to do it next year.

And who cares if he won't think your smart, if you do the test and fail he will know he overestimated you anyway. The best you can do is be honest upfront and get him to help you.

You should probably get offline right now and do it if you ask me.



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,863
Location: Sagittarius A

10 Jan 2017, 5:34 pm

Alliekit wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
Sounds like maybe you should take a moment for yourself and visit someone you feel comfortable being around and do something that relieves some stress, have some fun. Once your head is clear, think about what you're stuck on and formulate some questions that will help your supervisor help you figure out what needs to be done. Best of luck!


I dont know anyone here sadly

would it be weird to take in a list of questions?


Maybe take a little time for yourself, find something you can enjoy and clear your head. If it's going to help you achieve your goal, it's irrelevant how it's perceived by another at this junction. What matters is you help yourself at this time of need and it's a proactive measure that shows you care about this project.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,863
Location: Sagittarius A

10 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

If I didn't make myself clear, the list of questions is a wonderful idea. Hope he/she can answer them sufficiently.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jan 2017, 8:51 pm

I can relate to the stress and feelings of being overwhelmed with school, I've felt like at times that I'd need to drop everything and that I couldn't finish pretty much every semester but I've grinded thru and got the A's. How good that is for my mental health I don't know but classes will be starting again soon and it's definitely a source of anxiety, I just gotta push myself over that finish line. I'm so terrible with deadlines, I procrastinate until the very last moment and it's a crisis situation. That's just how I work it seems, not a good habit.

It's very hard for me to socialize while in school too, I have a pretty one-track mind when it comes to things and it's very hard for me to transition between school and socializing. Honesltly, it's hard for me even to transition between subjects at school. I feel like I neglect other aspects of myself while in school.



Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,192
Location: NZ

11 Jan 2017, 5:09 am

I do think from your posts you are smart. You just haven't learnt up to the level that the supervisor expected you would I think. You probably need to make up for the lack of study.



Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,182
Location: England

11 Jan 2017, 6:19 am

So I went for a vaccination this morning and when I got there nearly passed out. Ot was so embarasing because it was at our occupational health clinic and all the nurses came into the room to take my pulse and check up on me :oops:

I asked him all my questions and we sorted out and got things clearer.

My main concern was what data we were looking at, what antibodies we were using and the scedueling which has all been answered.

I will continue to revise hard and thank you all for your support!



blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,863
Location: Sagittarius A

11 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

Alliekit wrote:
So I went for a vaccination this morning and when I got there nearly passed out. Ot was so embarasing because it was at our occupational health clinic and all the nurses came into the room to take my pulse and check up on me :oops:

I asked him all my questions and we sorted out and got things clearer.

My main concern was what data we were looking at, what antibodies we were using and the scedueling which has all been answered.

I will continue to revise hard and thank you all for your support!


That doesn't sound good, why did you pass out? I am glad you got things sorted out, we are glad to help. Just remember when things get overwhelming, take some time to sort things out. Sometimes things may seem much more foreboding than they are. When things get hard to handle, find something to relieve some stress.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell