Feeling hopeless (trigger warning - suicide)

Page 45 of 47 [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:43 pm

Gardening is an excellent pastime for a person with depression.

Many people here feel gardening is an excellent solace.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 7:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I've thought I might like to try really gardening. Most of the experience I have is just pulling/cutting down weeds, I'd like to actually grow something. I guess if I get our garden areas in plantable shape, I could argue that at least some of the plants should be mine since I did all the work. It would be really cool, too, if I could grow some of my own food, or maybe even enough to sell.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 9:52 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I've thought I might like to try really gardening. Most of the experience I have is just pulling/cutting down weeds, I'd like to actually grow something. I guess if I get our garden areas in plantable shape, I could argue that at least some of the plants should be mine since I did all the work. It would be really cool, too, if I could grow some of my own food, or maybe even enough to sell.

Gardening can work wonders for the mind.

When I am able to do some weeding I find it very therapeutic.

Once the area is clear and I can plant some lovely plants and watch them grow as I tend to them, it makes me feel such a sense of wellbeing because there is so much to gain from such a pleasant task.

It is mostly preparation and weeding but what a difference it makes.

I found raspberries easy to grow and beans/peas to start off with.

Gardening is an art and science - you have the ability to make a great gardener Dragons :heart:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 10:04 am

Cannot recommend gardening enough.
I think that is what has mostly kept me sane throughout the years.
It's very grounding, and absolutely absorbing.
Love to get down and dirty in the soil and watch my babies grow.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

I also think gardening is a good idea for you. Getting outside & getting some fresh air can really benefit your mind, and it may also distract you from your depression & your other problems. One thing that is important to remember is that gardening takes patience, and some plants & flowers take longer to grow than others. I also know that the weather has to be good & sunny for the plants & flowers to grow. I hope you try it, and that is works well for you.

How are Merlin & Arthur doing? Do you still have fun with them, and do they still like to rough house together? Do you ever call Arthur "King Arthur?" I think it may make a good nickname.

I still want to help you & make you feel better, and I will still be here for you. 300 big dragon hugs.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 6:26 pm

Since everyone seems to agree that gardening is a very good idea, I'm definitely going to try it. My mom said she was actually planning to just use some weed/plant killer on one side of the garden, pull out the weeds when they're all dead, and then put some containers over it, to try to keep the weeds manageable and start with fresh soil, instead of the stuff the weeds have probably mostly drained of nutrients by now. That means I only have about half as much weeding work to do for now. If I want to get a plant or a few plants that need enough root space that they won't do well in a container, I can put them in the other side of the garden. I also have a kit to grow several species of carnivorous plants, that we just need to get some plant food for before I get them started (in the earlier stages of growth, before they develop the parts that catch insects, they need to get nutrients from the soil - and if I remember correctly (it's been a few months since I read the instructions that came with the kit), you can keep giving them plant food instead of insects if you want, which will be convenient so we don't have to keep running over to the pet store to get insects for them to eat).

Also, I had a job interview today, and an hour or so afterward, I got a call officially offering me the position. It's a cleaning job that looks a lot like the job I had previously - they were delighted that I had previous experience. They said they'd send me more information about when and where to attend an orientation on Monday by email either today or tomorrow, and that I'd be starting the job on Tuesday (they mentioned that they urgently need employees for this position, so I was expecting something like that).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 6:51 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Since everyone seems to agree that gardening is a very good idea, I'm definitely going to try it. My mom said she was actually planning to just use some weed/plant killer on one side of the garden, pull out the weeds when they're all dead, and then put some containers over it, to try to keep the weeds manageable and start with fresh soil, instead of the stuff the weeds have probably mostly drained of nutrients by now. That means I only have about half as much weeding work to do for now. If I want to get a plant or a few plants that need enough root space that they won't do well in a container, I can put them in the other side of the garden. I also have a kit to grow several species of carnivorous plants, that we just need to get some plant food for before I get them started (in the earlier stages of growth, before they develop the parts that catch insects, they need to get nutrients from the soil - and if I remember correctly (it's been a few months since I read the instructions that came with the kit), you can keep giving them plant food instead of insects if you want, which will be convenient so we don't have to keep running over to the pet store to get insects for them to eat).

Also, I had a job interview today, and an hour or so afterward, I got a call officially offering me the position. It's a cleaning job that looks a lot like the job I had previously - they were delighted that I had previous experience. They said they'd send me more information about when and where to attend an orientation on Monday by email either today or tomorrow, and that I'd be starting the job on Tuesday (they mentioned that they urgently need employees for this position, so I was expecting something like that).

I have already said congratulations but I have to say it again - congratulations!

This is just what the doctor ordered, and added to the gardening I am sure things will start to improve for you.

How does it feel now you have a job?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 7:00 pm

Congratulations on the job!

So you see.....it's not all hopeless!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 7:35 pm

Temeraire wrote:
I have already said congratulations but I have to say it again - congratulations!

This is just what the doctor ordered, and added to the gardening I am sure things will start to improve for you.

How does it feel now you have a job?

Honestly, it doesn't really feel any different yet. And I'm a bit worried that I'll be expected to know a lot more than I do, and that it will be too much work for me to get done in the time I'm allowed. I guess I'm still more nervous than happy, and will probably keep being so until after the orientation.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 8:45 pm

Wow! I am very happy to hear that you finally got a job! Is it a full-time or a part-time position? I hope that when you start the new job that you will still have time for gardening. I was always confident that you would eventually find a new job; it just took time & patience. I also hope that your new employment will help you with your depression. I guess your next goals will be to start driving & find your own place to live.

300 big hugs.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 7:03 pm

Congratulations on getting the job Dragons, I knew you could do it! I hope this new job will help towards your goal for independence.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm

300series wrote:
Wow! I am very happy to hear that you finally got a job! Is it a full-time or a part-time position? I hope that when you start the new job that you will still have time for gardening. I was always confident that you would eventually find a new job; it just took time & patience. I also hope that your new employment will help you with your depression. I guess your next goals will be to start driving & find your own place to live.

300 big hugs.

It's a part-time position, three hours a day Monday through Friday. The good news is that I should still have plenty of free time. The bad news is that I don't think I can support myself on this job alone, and the time (noon to 3 PM) would make it hard to get a second job in addition to it. But at least I'll be doing something, and be able to contribute something monetarily to my family, something akin to paying rent (which is what my parents had planned to do with me, but of course it wasn't possible when I had no source of income whatsoever). So maybe it will help me not feel like quite so much of a burden, at least.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:14 pm

fairly vigorous yardwork seems to have something magical about it in terms of mood.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:00 am

You are correct that your new part-time job is better than nothing, and I hope you like the job. Back in 2009, when I got my job at the San Diego Public Library, I started with only 3 hours per day, 2 days per week, which was not very much, but better than nothing. Later that year, I got more hours at my job. I hope the same thing will happen with you. If you save some of your money, then maybe you could find your own place to live & move out.

Have you started your gardening projects yet? It is now Spring time, so it is a good time to start, although I am not sure what the weather is like in the Midwest, where you are located. I think it feels good to get outside & get some fresh air in gardens.

Good luck with the job & your gardening. 300 big dragon hugs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:05 am

Have you started the job yet?

I would think of this job as a "start"---an excellent start.

Three hours of cleaning would make the time go fast.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

300series wrote:
You are correct that your new part-time job is better than nothing, and I hope you like the job. Back in 2009, when I got my job at the San Diego Public Library, I started with only 3 hours per day, 2 days per week, which was not very much, but better than nothing. Later that year, I got more hours at my job. I hope the same thing will happen with you. If you save some of your money, then maybe you could find your own place to live & move out.

Have you started your gardening projects yet? It is now Spring time, so it is a good time to start, although I am not sure what the weather is like in the Midwest, where you are located. I think it feels good to get outside & get some fresh air in gardens.

Good luck with the job & your gardening. 300 big dragon hugs.

Yep, having this job does at least give me somewhere to start, hopefully. I'll have to look up the cost of apartments around here and figure out how much I'd need for other costs of living to see whether I could possibly move out after saving some money. I don't want to do it if I'm not going to be making enough per month to cover rent and stuff like groceries - even if I'd saved a good bit of money, I'd be afraid of running out otherwise, considering how long it took me to even get this job. But I will be making more per hour at this job than I did at my other one.

I haven't done anything in the garden yet. I was going to start weeding today, but we got some snow yesterday (after a week or so of warmer weather). I'm probably going to have to wait until tomorrow at least for it to have melted. Probably in a couple weeks to a month the temperature will be consistently high enough not to kill any plants, which should work out well since there's a decent amount of work to do before we'll be ready for planting. I also have no idea what kind of things I'd like to plant.