Emotionally abusive family

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm starting to realise that my closest family is, and has always been, very damaging to my mental health. Especially one of my parents treats me badly. Along the way, I've taken their behaviour as normal because it was all I knew and kind of denied it. Though I did start to notice it a few years back and have tried to talk to them about it several times, but that only reinforces their bad behaviour and they go all crazy on me. Not physically, except for occational times where they appear in a threatening way towards me, where I without thinking about it, cross my arms in a protecting way while straying away. These situations scare me. I'm tired of being critisised, made to feel hopeless and yelled at for no reason. I struggle with depression and find it really hard to recover when I'm around such negativity. I've even developed thinking that everything is my fault, because they always blame me for everything. Things I can't control. If they complain about something (which is often because they're very pessimistic), I have the habit of automatically saying "it's not my fault" to everything. I know they love me, at least I think so, but they for sure can't control their behaviour. They are too proud to realise what they're doing is wrong. They are very egocentric and unempathetic.

I don't know what to do about this. I've talked to another family member about this but she doesn't take me seriously. I think they might be afraid of said parent. What sucks is that I spend most of my time with my family, I don't have any close friends anymore. I can't escape this hell, excuse my french. For the record, I'm 19 and still can't move out on my own.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 3:45 pm

And what about the other parent. How do they treat you?

Does the parent in question only treat you like this when you are alone with them or do they behave like this in front of people?

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2017, 3:57 pm

babybird wrote:
And what about the other parent. How do they treat you?

Does the parent in question only treat you like this when you are alone with them or do they behave like this in front of people?

They are extremely passive. While knowing what my other parent is doing might be wrong, they do not do anything about it. This parent has been a bad influence in the past too by noticeably treating my sibling as the favorite child, making me feel like I was a bad person.

Both. My sibling usually engages.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 4:09 pm

Have you ever stood up to them?

Sorry if that sounds ridiculous but because you said you can't leave, I really don't know how to help.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm

babybird wrote:
Have you ever stood up to them?

Sorry if that sounds ridiculous but because you said you can't leave, I really don't know how to help.

It doesn't sound ridiculous, I appreciate the effort. I have but it doesn't help

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 10:27 pm

Sometimes moving away is the only practical solution. It may not be practical now, but perhaps it is something you could work toward doing in the future. Perhaps by slowly gaining the skills you need to do that.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2017, 10:41 pm

lazyflower wrote:
I'm starting to realise that my closest family is, and has always been, very damaging to my mental health. Especially one of my parents treats me badly. Along the way, I've taken their behaviour as normal because it was all I knew and kind of denied it. Though I did start to notice it a few years back and have tried to talk to them about it several times, but that only reinforces their bad behaviour and they go all crazy on me. Not physically, except for occational times where they appear in a threatening way towards me, where I without thinking about it, cross my arms in a protecting way while straying away. These situations scare me. I'm tired of being critisised, made to feel hopeless and yelled at for no reason. I struggle with depression and find it really hard to recover when I'm around such negativity. I've even developed thinking that everything is my fault, because they always blame me for everything. Things I can't control. If they complain about something (which is often because they're very pessimistic), I have the habit of automatically saying "it's not my fault" to everything. I know they love me, at least I think so, but they for sure can't control their behaviour. They are too proud to realise what they're doing is wrong. They are very egocentric and unempathetic.

I don't know what to do about this. I've talked to another family member about this but she doesn't take me seriously. I think they might be afraid of said parent. What sucks is that I spend most of my time with my family, I don't have any close friends anymore. I can't escape this hell, excuse my french. For the record, I'm 19 and still can't move out on my own.

Are you working? At uni? I agree with you that you will not get better around negative ppl. Asides from hiding at the local library I'm not sure what else u can do except get a job (if you don't have one already) and move out it sounds like its time.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:44 am

BTDT wrote:
Sometimes moving away is the only practical solution. It may not be practical now, but perhaps it is something you could work toward doing in the future. Perhaps by slowly gaining the skills you need to do that.

Agreed. I'm in a similar position with relatives - just that I'm older than you, and thus can actually try to gain independence.
Is there a reason you can't work on moving out? Don't you have adult rights at 18? Can you segue into it slowly, even if you cannot outright move out? Such as move as much of your life as you can under your own control, and gradually have less and less to do with your relatives? The added bonus of such a stealthy approach is by the time you are ready to leave and not have them in your life so much, they're already accustomed to it so there's less drama.
To me it seems the linchpin is income. If you are financially independent, you can then afford your own accommodation and don't have to live with them, you can afford to cover your own needs and thus don't have to placate them because you still need financial help, etc.
If you're not dependent, it's easier to have leverage with people like this. You can then call out the behaviour and stipulate that if they don't cut this out and stop behaving this way toward you, you won't tolerate it and won't see them anymore. If you're dependent, emotionally abusive people seem to believe you are powerless, you're "stuck" with them and therefore, they can do whatever they like and there will be no consequences. Being more independent takes the power out of their position and makes you better able to set your own terms, in my opinion.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2017, 2:14 am

C2V wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Agreed. I'm in a similar position with relatives - just that I'm older than you, and thus can actually try to gain independence.
Is there a reason you can't work on moving out? Don't you have adult rights at 18? Can you segue into it slowly, even if you cannot outright move out? Such as move as much of your life as you can under your own control, and gradually have less and less to do with your relatives? The added bonus of such a stealthy approach is by the time you are ready to leave and not have them in your life so much, they're already accustomed to it so there's less drama.
To me it seems the linchpin is income. If you are financially independent, you can then afford your own accommodation and don't have to live with them, you can afford to cover your own needs and thus don't have to placate them because you still need financial help, etc.
If you're not dependent, it's easier to have leverage with people like this. You can then call out the behaviour and stipulate that if they don't cut this out and stop behaving this way toward you, you won't tolerate it and won't see them anymore. If you're dependent, emotionally abusive people seem to believe you are powerless, you're "stuck" with them and therefore, they can do whatever they like and there will be no consequences. Being more independent takes the power out of their position and makes you better able to set your own terms, in my opinion.

I really think u shld avoid ‘getting into it with them’ if u have to live with them things can spiral out of control very quickly which isn’t good for anyone it’s highly unlikely they will view u as an adult u will probably always be a child in their eyes. A good option might be trying to move across the country so ur not tempted to run home when things get bad... they might even help u with the rent if ur lucky and make it clear ur not coming back..

Maybe if u wanted to tell ppl what country u were from they might have better info? I can suggest moving to Canberra if u happen to be from Sydney it worked for me around ur age

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:37 am

BTDT wrote:

This is very true. My family also likes to live in a little dysfunctional bubble. Like the OP, other relatives were not especially helpful to me. If the family isn't willing to hear and accept how you feel, even if they disagree, then you end up having to create independence or stay in that bubble and conform to it. I never moved away too far, but just living in my own town, which had no connection to family history, was very helpful in seeing that I had my own life.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2017, 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies! Independence does seem to be the best thing for me to focus on right now. I am still very dependent on them financially and can't afford to live on my own yet. Hopefully it'll all get better in time.

angela8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

My mother never intervened, and my father emotionally abused my sibling and me all our lives. I moved out at 25 which was late. I had a therapist but I was likely too scared to move out earlier. I always felt inferior and like everything was my fault. That's normal from what I've heard. Please talk to a counselor of some kind. The abuse is damaging. You need someone to guide you, if your family is unable to help you with this parent. I suffer from depression and anxiety, too. I really feel for you. Can you get disability payments in order to get an apartment and other necessities?

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 1:53 pm

I’ve found regular attendance @ support groups helpful. Right now I’m in the middle of reading a book called Healing the Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw & learning more about dysfunctional family systems. I’m also pursuing a more spiritual outlook on life by meditating every day. I was independent for 20 years & never thought I’d be living with my parents again, but s**t happens. There are pros & cons to every situation & we’re all on our own journeys. Good luck to you.