Why life is so disposal?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 4:48 am

Everything I see people what they do and consume. Also everything I experienced in my life is making me to suffer disposal without my fault nor control.

Why people focus on very short time commitment? Like freebies at market days and expos? So much waste and plastic crap to be dumped.

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2018, 7:17 am

I worked with
a Dutch guy
who used to say,

“People jump over
the lowest fence.”

It’s an easy way
to a short term
gain.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 7:30 am

Ecomatt91 wrote:
Everything I see people what they do and consume. Also everything I experienced in my life is making me to suffer disposal without my fault nor control. Why people focus on very short time commitment? Like freebies at market days and expos? So much waste and plastic crap to be dumped.
Disposable packaging makes for food on your table. Imagine a world in which foods -- liquids included -- either had non-disposable package, or no packaging at all!

You would have to either consume everything at the point-of-sale, or carry a huge pile of sealable containers every time you went to the market.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 7:40 am

Disposable packaging helps prevent the spread of disease.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 10:35 am

Ecomatt91 wrote:
Why people focus on very short time commitment? Like freebies at market days and expos? So much waste and plastic crap to be dumped.

Because they can.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 5:20 pm

Short term gain = no long term future = dead planet. Humans never wanted to die because of this, so by doing short term gains is not helping themselves. It like a pile of rubbish not having any benefits from it.

It a same attitude and behaviour when come to relationships and friendships, including business networks. It affects mental health very severely.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 11:13 pm

Well, that's your take on it.

But I think you probably came here to complain about your bad feelings, not plastics and disposable packaging.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 1:26 am

Ecomatt91 wrote:
Everything I see people what they do and consume. Also everything I experienced in my life is making me to suffer disposal without my fault nor control.

When people used to have milk delivered in glass bottles, they also sent the empty bottles back to be refilled, but this leads to more fuel and water consumption because of the weight of the bottles and the fact that they have to be sanitized.

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:18 pm

I am trying to make my point about disposal. War on waste is an example. The point is why people go for super short term gain while long term have pains?

Think like:
- rebound relationships effecting mental state of the person who is not being themselves
- littering on roads and public places where people don't think if everyone going to do this (entire place will become a landfill)
- driving a car to a shop that is only around the corner where they live (come back with one bag of goods)
- low wages on working visa foreign for 6 months contract (many of my friends experienced this, even here in Australia to)

There so many things to add to this list. I just don't have time to write more as I am super busy person about to head off to work.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ecomatt91 wrote:
Everything I see people what they do and consume. Also everything I experienced in my life is making me to suffer disposal without my fault nor control. Why people focus on very short time commitment? Like freebies at market days and expos? So much waste and plastic crap to be dumped.
Disposable packaging makes for food on your table. Imagine a world in which foods -- liquids included -- either had non-disposable package, or no packaging at all!

You would have to either consume everything at the point-of-sale, or carry a huge pile of sealable containers every time you went to the market.

This is not that unreasonable for a lot of foods. We consume a huge amount of vegetables. I have them delivered "loose" in cardboard crates once a week. They take the crates away and use them again the next week. Milk you can get from the farm shop and you get a discount if you bring your own jug. I cook everything from scratch and freeze in glass jars. Some things still involve disposable plastic but lots of times it is possible to find alternatives.

I have my same 4 close friends I have had most of my life. They live very far away and we go for long periods with no communication but when we do communicate it is always meaningful.

I buy all my clothes second hand off eBay. Party because I hate shopping so it is far preferable to have things just arrive without the effort of going to an actual shop.

Ecomatt, I might be misreading you but I feel what you want to ask is why things often appear so replaceable to people? I used to feel that way. Maybe in my teens and twenties. That things, scenarios, places were all replaceable that it was all so random and everything could be entirely different without it mattering much. Now I think quite the opposite. Very many things, places and people are entirely irreplaceable.

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 4:25 am

elsapelsa wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ecomatt91 wrote:

This is not that unreasonable for a lot of foods. We consume a huge amount of vegetables. I have them delivered "loose" in cardboard crates once a week. They take the crates away and use them again the next week. Milk you can get from the farm shop and you get a discount if you bring your own jug. I cook everything from scratch and freeze in glass jars. Some things still involve disposable plastic but lots of times it is possible to find alternatives.

I have my same 4 close friends I have had most of my life. They live very far away and we go for long periods with no communication but when we do communicate it is always meaningful.

I buy all my clothes second hand off eBay. Party because I hate shopping so it is far preferable to have things just arrive without the effort of going to an actual shop.

Ecomatt, I might be misreading you but I feel what you want to ask is why things often appear so replaceable to people? I used to feel that way. Maybe in my teens and twenties. That things, scenarios, places were all replaceable that it was all so random and everything could be entirely different without it mattering much. Now I think quite the opposite. Very many things, places and people are entirely irreplaceable.

Yep you got it now. That how I felt over the years til now I find everything now irreplaceable.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Ecomatt91 wrote:

I can’t recall where in the USA/Canada it is (maybe Seattle) but there’s a new supermarket chain that imagined just that - and then they built it. Everything is bulk with zero packaging and people bring their own reusable packaging like Tupperware or mason jars. MUCH better for the planet.

I’d way rather see absolutely minimal packaging for environmental sustainability reasons.

As for the rest of society, yes, people are all about instant gratification.. zero attention spans or patience, they just want things Now with minimal effort.

I’m both ways, really. Like if I want sex, I simply get it right quick. But other things I’m fine with patience and a slow process, like with rebuilding my health - it didn’t matter that it would take a couple years or so; I put in the daily effort required and now reap the benefits of it. Same with exercise - I’ve done more than a quarter million pushups since I started doing them daily. But most people are all about the Right Now with every aspect of their life they possibly can be, it seems.

LostSoul12241991
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

Ecomatt91 wrote:

Because we live in a time today amongst the stupidest humans who ever lived in the entire history of mankind.

We live in a sick work-consume-die culture that encourages you to consume consume consume until there is no more planet to consume while you work work work your life away for “economic growth” at the expense of a finite planet.

One has to be a complete fool to think that “economic growth” can continue forever on such a limited planet.

There was a time when humans used to live in harmony with nature, in tribes, and they loved each other.

Now humans are overpopulating the planet, they have domesticated themselves, and they live in densely packed cities like a bunch of rats while participating in the stupid rat race to buy a bunch of materialistic BS that they don’t even need in an attempt to impress people that they don’t even like. Meanwhile, resources are disappearing, the human population keeps growing, and inevitably this corrupt house of cards called “civilization” is going to collapse on itself soon. Cities pollute and harm the environment, and they are unsustainable. There is no such thing as “sustainable development”. “Sustainable development” is a contradiction of terms.

Humans have put their health and the planet’s health at risk for convenience, which is why they produce all of this plastic crap everywhere.