Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:09 pm

^^^^what is your professional goal?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:14 pm

....?

well, i like speech therapy now (being a speech therapist) ask me again in 5 minutes and i could say linguist (my current major)

i don't have the same clarity of ambition that many of my peers do, i never have.
i talk to people who are pursuing their goals that they've had since....childhood. teenagers. they made a decision early on and everything they've done since then was a step in that direction.

I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT. HOW DO YOU KNOW SO EAELY ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?

i think i just have a defective brain.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:24 pm

like it or not, you have a similar type of brain as my own. I never had the life focus either. my genes have condemned me to be a general wanderer. may your brain spare you this fate.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:27 pm

it is increasingly clear to me now that i have already been given that fate.

and it wouldn't be so bad if i weren't the loneliest i have ever been in my
whole life right now (no exaggeration)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:35 pm

when you get to be of a certain age, you may find as I did, that the people with the focus generally bore you.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 12:58 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
....?

well, i like speech therapy now (being a speech therapist) ask me again in 5 minutes and i could say linguist (my current major)

i don't have the same clarity of ambition that many of my peers do, i never have.
i talk to people who are pursuing their goals that they've had since....childhood. teenagers. they made a decision early on and everything they've done since then was a step in that direction.

I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT. HOW DO YOU KNOW SO EAELY ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?

i think i just have a defective brain.

This was me.

I went to business school right out of high school, thought I wanted to go more the industrial engineering/manufacturing management route - and I could have, but found dealing with people overwhelming and opted to just work various jobs instead. (I was 19, so that was a factor. And undiagnosed unaware aspie.)

I’ve done a ton of different jobs. Thought I might just do random lowish paying stuff forever. Currently apprenticing a construction trade that pays okay in the long run, but have decided what I want to go back to University for so now I’m working towards that goal. Fiiiinally have a real direction to head in much like those people back half my life ago who Knew what they wanted to do.

So, you never know, life experience could end up sending you in some specific direction at some point & then you’ll know what you were meant to do.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 1:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
okay. i will continue to miserably and lonesomely trudge through 2-10 years of school.

Good! You have made the right decision. Trudge away.

There Are Four Lights!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 8:08 am

There is no "right" or wrong decision

Nobody else knows your situation

Nobody else thinks your thoughts or feels your emotions

Every situation is different

Plenty of cashier's, baristas, data entry clerk, et, work for minimum wage

Plenty of Bachelor degree holders are unemployed or underemployed

You do not need anyone to understand you

Not even your family

:heart: :jester: :ninja: :mrgreen: there is something wrong with everything :skull: :nerdy: :heart: :jester: :ninja: :mrgreen:

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:01 am

Stick with the speech therapy. Trust me, any degree even remotely related to the medical field is a great return on investment, and you will never have any problem finding a job.

The speech therapists where I live are booking out six months in advance to see clients. That's how valuable they are.

Those people who were young and had their life decisions decided? Try not to focus too much on them. The fact is they're young, and things change a lot by the time you turn 30 or 40. That's why there are a lot of people going back to school at later ages. What they think is the right thing at age 18 turns out to be completely wrong at age 38.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:15 am

I say stick with it. You would hate yourself if you dropped out so close to the finish and it would be a pain to have to pick up where you left off. Continue to pursue your passion as you work on finishing your program.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:20 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT. HOW DO YOU KNOW SO EARLY ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?

Speaking for myself, it just happens that way. I just always knew that I would likely go into either a physical science or medical career. Since I will not take the Hippocratic Oath required of medical doctors (I will not save bullies), that left me with chemistry/physics to go into. So that is the route that I went. Sometimes that decision is directed by your life experiences.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
I think i just have a defective brain.

No, that is not the case. Many people struggle at your age trying to find their way in life, be it a career choice, relationships, or other decisions. That is a natural process of life. I see it all the time when I am teaching at the university. One thing that I tell my students: Never sell yourself short. You have to decide on what your life goals are, no one else can do that for you. Sometimes it may look like you will never reach them, but that is often just an illusion. It is ok to take short breaks along the path of life, but always keep your eyes on the prize. When I was an undergrad, I took a semester off from college to help my father with his gas station. Doing that, it helped motivate me to the next level when I went back to school. Just remember not to rest too long or the route gets harder to do as things pile up (marriage, kids, bills, health issues, etc.).

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm

I knew very well in my childhood what I wanted to do; I just didn't have the courage to acknowledge it or act on my desire. Being constantly scolded because my interests were too theoretical probably helped, as did my appalling ignorance about how the outside world worked, so I had no way to know which ideas about how to make a living were even the tiniest bit realistic.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.