How to go on when your soul is destroyed and there's no hope

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SummerAndSmoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 2:07 pm

I honestly haven't been doing too well over the past couple years, but in the last 6 weeks I've really gone on a downward spiral. I was rejected by this guy who I really really really liked for a long time, and since then it's been just so difficult to get through every day. It takes every ounce of willpower to even get myself out of bed in the morning.
I feel so worthless and unloved, the only thing that's keeping me from going and swallowing a bottle of tylenol is the vague possibility that I might become a great actor someday. But it's very hard. It's like my whole world shutting down and I can't see any way out of it. I finally started seeing a therapist, but I'm not finding it to be very useful. When I tell her how much I'm hurting, she just sits there and says nothing.

I don't have any friends or anyone that cares about me. I can't think of any realistic reason why that's going to change. Everyone in every single social situation has rejected me my entire life. I expect that this is probably where someone is going to trot out the banal "go join a club of people who share your interests!" advice, but believe me, I've done all that and more. You can't force people to choose you... either they care about you or they don't, at the end of the day, it's really out of your hands.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

If you have beaten depression before then there is hope, right?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 3:16 pm

One of the root causes of depression is unceasing stress. There is a form of therapy that can help. I suggest you read the book by Peter A. Levine, called In An Unspoken Voice.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:46 pm

I'm very sorry you're feeling this way. I know having internet friends isn't the same as face to face, but I hope it helps you to know that people here care about you and your troubles.

What does your therapist suggest to remedy your situation? Anything? Do you think you have depression and if so, have you tried medication?

You've never had a friendship or relationship ever in your entire life at any point?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:06 pm

Can you get back with the guy you have rejected? Surely you must have had some kind of relationship with a person in the past. Im pretty lonely now to. I cant see anyone wanting to be my boyfriend. I dont know how to strike up conversations with people so that doesnt help. I would like to have a friend or lover I can trust.

I hope you become an actor!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

=(

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2018, 6:38 pm

SummerAndSmoke wrote:
I honestly haven't been doing too well over the past couple years, but in the last 6 weeks I've really gone on a downward spiral. I was rejected by this guy who I really really really liked for a long time, and since then it's been just so difficult to get through every day. It takes every ounce of willpower to even get myself out of bed in the morning.
I feel so worthless and unloved, the only thing that's keeping me from going and swallowing a bottle of tylenol is the vague possibility that I might become a great actor someday. But it's very hard. It's like my whole world shutting down and I can't see any way out of it. I finally started seeing a therapist, but I'm not finding it to be very useful. When I tell her how much I'm hurting, she just sits there and says nothing.

I don't have any friends or anyone that cares about me. I can't think of any realistic reason why that's going to change. Everyone in every single social situation has rejected me my entire life. I expect that this is probably where someone is going to trot out the banal "go join a club of people who share your interests!" advice, but believe me, I've done all that and more. You can't force people to choose you... either they care about you or they don't, at the end of the day, it's really out of your hands.

Oh my god...Oh my god...You're back! I can't believe you've back! I'm so happy you're back!! Oh my god!! !

I've been wanting to talk to you since I got on this site, but I came just a few days too late. I just missed you. Oh. There's so many things I wanted to talk to you about, I don't know where to start... I don't know wh...

(Runs up to you and tries to embrace you!)

Thank you for coming back, even if it's just for a little while.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:44 pm

SummerAndSmoke wrote:
How to go on when your soul is destroyed and there's no hope?
Please forgive my delivery, as I mean no harm.

During similar times, I buried myself in my studies and my work to the exclusion of all unnecessary human contact. It took a long time (more than two years), but I began to notice people again as something other than threats to avoid and obstacles to maneuver around. Then I started going back to church. That is where I met my wife. We've been together for over 20 years.

It can get better, but you have to give yourself time to recover.

That's all I can say.

SummerAndSmoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

Quote:
What does your therapist suggest to remedy your situation? Anything? Do you think you have depression and if so, have you tried medication?

Apart from seeing a psychiatrist to get an antidepressant, she honestly hasn't made any suggestions. She just sits while I blab away. I don't think that medication is a good idea for me at all.... I am hypersensitive to drugs of all kinds and the potential side effects just aren't something I want to risk.

Quote:
You've never had a friendship or relationship ever in your entire life at any point?

Not really, no. No relationships apart from teachers and therapists. There have been times where I thought a friendship might be on the horizon, but it was all wishful thinking and one-sidedness on my part.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2018, 12:04 am

SummerAndSmoke wrote:

Okay. Listen. We aspies. Are sensitive creatures. You sent a guy a text saying you like him. Okay. He said he was flattered. Good!

As an Aspie guy, if I got a text like that, I wouldn’t know what to do with it. I wouldn’t think badly of it. In the beginning stages of a relationship, a text like that is too serious.

Just because you suck at texting, does not make you a bad person! People have different love languages - some respond better to words, others to other things.

As a woman.. all you should do is work on your looks. That’s the #1 thing guys care about.

You failed to charm him with one short unexpected text message that did not have a foundation in the context of the situation.

Don’t text him again. It won’t change his response it will only make you look bad.

Next guy you like, send a message talking about something light like “how are you?” “How is your day?” “Do you wanna see a movie?”

This way you don’t shock peopl with being all heavy and serious when they re unprepared. Live and learn!

Also it sounds like you are trying to date a guy who has more social value than you - given how charming he is, he probably won’t date someone who has less social value unless the girl is highly attractive. So it may be that you are climbing the wrong tree so to speak.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 5:18 am

SummerAndSmoke wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Not really, no. No relationships apart from teachers and therapists. There have been times where I thought a friendship might be on the horizon, but it was all wishful thinking and one-sidedness on my part.

For what it's worth you have friends here.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:26 am

please forgive me if i will sound rude and inconsiderate. but soul destroyed over 1 guy not feeling like to start a relationship? my 8-years-old marriage had ended in a mutual meltdown one night. our year-old child crying in my arms while we had a shouting match. for hells' sake. sorry but if someone had politely just refused to start, ist not end of the world, or end of u. it happens to people all the time. i had gone through cancer, through losing a whole life i had, through goddamnit whatevertherewaselse, losing people i loved in different ways. u just had a turn-down. speaking from the other end of abyss u only saw a faint glimpse of there. u might feel bad, u might feel sad. it might have triggered some previous trauma so common in aspergerians. but it can happen to allistic person of any gender, it happens to allistic persons of any gender, any day, every day. please try to see a perspective and realise how ur life only did not GAIN what u wanted. didnt lose anything, right? im trying to be careful, because well, u might not have experienced anything harder than this turn-down, but just.get.urself.togather please. get medication if u need to. aspergerian nerves are thin, yes. but the pain will pass if u dont hold onto it. get up, get going. u are alive and whole, more than u think. guardian demon has spoken.

SummerAndSmoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2018, 10:13 am

Quote:
Also it sounds like you are trying to date a guy who has more social value than you

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's pretty hard to want to live when literally nobody has ever valued me in my entire life.

Quote:
had gone through cancer, through losing a whole life i had, through goddamnit whatevertherewaselse, losing people i loved in different ways.

Millions of people also go through cancer and marriage problems every day. That doesn't make you special or uniquely qualified for anything. Look, we're not in a my-problems-are-worse-than-yours competition here. I'm really having trouble making it to the end of every day because I feel so unloved. I do not know anyone in my life who gives a rat's ass about what happens to me..... how do you keep going on when you know that if you died tomorrow, there is not a single person who would notice or be affected by it? And I'm 100% serious about that. If I dropped dead in my apartment, I would decompose there for months. It would take a very long time for anyone to even realize that I was missing.

Quote:
u are alive and whole

I am barely alive right now and certainly far from whole. I don't think I've ever been whole.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:25 am

i am not competing here. nope. i dont go in those. but u gotta place ur problems in a correct bracket. which is why i am bringing examples.

also because i know far too well, when feeling that sh***y, u need to be pissed off to get up. so i am pissing u off. i am ur guardian demon, and i do what it takes.
now, u get ready. give it a bust.
read this.
viewtopic.php?t=368657

then use it. or make something of ur own. get up. u can.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:26 am

Sometimes, "banal" advice is good advice.

You're an actor. You can play characters. I'm jealous of that...because I'm not an actor and I can't play characters.

What roles have you played? Shakespeare?

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

and ya just to explain. soul destroyed, is when u have traumatic amnesia. and no idea u have it. when half of u is locked off. when simple 2 letters in a sequence can send u in a tear fit. when u cant even catch urself before u start raging, lashing out at people u care for. when u cant remember what did u do at some point. when u are living for months in multiple layers of flashbacks. lost. degraded. unable to even put ur finger on whats happening to u. when u look at ur own old posts somewhere and cant remember thinking it, feeling it, let alone writing it. when an innocent thing, like some sound, like special shade of color, can call the abformentioned flashbacks and u wont be able to get out on ur own. when even if u remember something full of joy, u cant think about it. when u hate urself so intencely, that (stopping right here).
u dont hate urself, i presume. u have a memory integrity. u feel like death, but its simple depression. it can be defeated. and sometimes without as much as pills. ur life is still urs. ur hopes are there, even in depression, even muted by depression, but they are existent. and the feeling that nobody cares, is a lie. ur own lie to urself, the one we all do, when we are depressed. nobody cares. nobody wants to see. when i cracked up, i couldnt believe how many people would care, but would just not know how much i need help. because i didnt let them know. if u come asking for help, it allready means ur soul is whole. broken people dont ask. i didnt believe i deserve help, i didnt believe anybody would care. i was proven wrong. u dont need proving. but well, i do care, which is why i am being a jerk here. get angry, get up, get going. easier that way. rage is one hell of anesthetic.