Extreme Fear of Finding a Job

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2018, 5:43 pm

Hello everyone!

I’m 22, going on 23, and unemployed. I’m still living with my parents, though I’ve graduated from college this year. I have been doing volunteer work for almost two years, and I have also been a camp counselor this summer. The other job I used to do was tutoring elementary school children, but I used to get my clients from an institute that has stopped calling me many months ago without even telling me why.

My parents now insist that I must get a job, because they can’t keep supporting me all my life and they’re not going to live forever. However, every time I think about getting a job that is related to my major I get really anxious and en up curled up in my bed, crying. I just think I’m not good enough, and anybody with a high school degree could do any job better than me. I was always an average student, and I made many mistakes in some exams, so I think I’m not qualified for working. The prospect of being paid is a lot more pressure than I can bear, because I feel I need to do everything perfect if I get a job.

I’m also considering teaching, but I’ve already failed with tutoring and I don’t know why. And that was with only one student at a time. How could I manage a regular class with over twenty students?

Doing something unrelated to my course of studies is my only other choice, but the options are just too unappealing and they would have to be non qualified work. I’m not organized and I’m really slow and clumsy, and even doing housework is hard for me. I feel I could not even work sweeping a MacDonald’s floors.

Now every time my parents ask me whether I’ve applied for a new job or they tell me they know somebody who might get me one I just want to cry. I even have suicidal thoughts related to this: I fantasize with the idea of killing myself to escape my life, my obligation to find a job and the truth that I’m hopelessly useless and unqualified for anything.

Am I the only person here who has ever felt an extreme fear of getting a job?

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 6:49 pm

Yeah Im scared of work. I had jobs in the past and I was very slow. Wasnt very good at them. I actually went through a period of psychosis because I was afraid of working. They gave me disability for it. I dont get very much from the goverment but I get by.

I wish I had some advice to give. Face your fears maybe. Maybe with practice you will get good at work. Theres always disability if your anxiety is to high to work.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm

Are you seeing a counselor or psychiatrist OP :?: Having those suicidal thoughts is very serious & counseling &/or meds might help with your anxiety.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 10:56 pm

Sofisol612 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I’m 22, going on 23, and unemployed. I’m still living with my parents, though I’ve graduated from college this year. I have been doing volunteer work for almost two years, and I have also been a camp counselor this summer. The other job I used to do was tutoring elementary school children, but I used to get my clients from an institute that has stopped calling me many months ago without even telling me why.

My parents now insist that I must get a job, because they can’t keep supporting me all my life and they’re not going to live forever. However, every time I think about getting a job that is related to my major I get really anxious and en up curled up in my bed, crying. I just think I’m not good enough, and anybody with a high school degree could do any job better than me. I was always an average student, and I made many mistakes in some exams, so I think I’m not qualified for working. The prospect of being paid is a lot more pressure than I can bear, because I feel I need to do everything perfect if I get a job.

I’m also considering teaching, but I’ve already failed with tutoring and I don’t know why. And that was with only one student at a time. How could I manage a regular class with over twenty students?

Doing something unrelated to my course of studies is my only other choice, but the options are just too unappealing and they would have to be non qualified work. I’m not organized and I’m really slow and clumsy, and even doing housework is hard for me. I feel I could not even work sweeping a MacDonald’s floors.

Now every time my parents ask me whether I’ve applied for a new job or they tell me they know somebody who might get me one I just want to cry. I even have suicidal thoughts related to this: I fantasize with the idea of killing myself to escape my life, my obligation to find a job and the truth that I’m hopelessly useless and unqualified for anything.

My philosophy is, make money until you are fired. What I mean by that is, get a job and start generating an income. If you get fired or have to quit eventually, at least you will have made some money.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2018, 5:07 am

nick007 wrote:
Are you seeing a counselor or psychiatrist OP :?: Having those suicidal thoughts is very serious & counseling &/or meds might help with your anxiety.

I’ve seeing my current psychologist for almost two years now. Before that I had another therapist, who treated me since I was a teenager and I stopped seeing her when I was twenty. I don’t consider my suicidal thoughts to be very serious, though, because I’ve had them many times now (the first time I had them was at the age of 12, when I was bullied at school and had no friends) and I never made any serious attempt to kill myself. I only consider them a symptom of possible anxiety and depression, but not a real threat to my life. The problem is, I’m not sure therapy works for me. I’ve done it for many years now and whatever progress I make seems more related to what’s happening in my life at the moment than with the therapeutic process, and as soon as I have to face a problem again I go back to feeling anxious and depressed.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
Yeah Im scared of work. I had jobs in the past and I was very slow. Wasnt very good at them. I actually went through a period of psychosis because I was afraid of working. They gave me disability for it. I dont get very much from the goverment but I get by.

I wish I had some advice to give. Face your fears maybe. Maybe with practice you will get good at work. Theres always disability if your anxiety is to high to work.

I hope things do get better with time and practice. I have overcome other fears before, so I know it’s possible. But for some reason, working seems to be too much pressure to even think about it.

Disability is not a real option for me because in my country it’s really hard to get it: you have to prove you are disabled to a sort of jury of interdisciplinary professionals who decide whether to sign your certificate of disability, and only if your “percentage of disability” exceeds a certain number you can begin the paperwork to get disability money. I don’t think a young adult with a college degree who required no accommodations in her further education would qualify for disability in my country.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2018, 12:36 pm

Chronos wrote:
Sofisol612 wrote:
Hello everyone!

My philosophy is, make money until you are fired. What I mean by that is, get a job and start generating an income. If you get fired or have to quit eventually, at least you will have made some money.

I wish I could see it in a practical way like you do. Unfortunately, I’m too idealistic to seek a job I don’t want and don’t know how to do. The mere thought depresses me.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2018, 12:46 pm

I know you feel your not able to go for jobs that your either overqualified for or dont know how to do, but believe me its easy if you just accept that you need to facilitate your way to independance. Ive worked in all the scales of employment from dirt floor cleaner up to post grad professional. None of them hurt me, and Im glad of the experience I got from them all.

I never stopped trying different things and I got jobs and left by dinnertime if I didnt think I could do them, or didnt like them but I still went onto try something else. The more you think you cant, you cant. Start thinking you can, and you will.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 1:56 pm

The anticipation of something is usually much worse than actually doing it.

I would suggest you find a job that limits your time around other people. I'm NT but I'm terrible with people so I mostly work on files and on a computer and a very small group of coworkers. I prefer it that way and I don't have to worry about my social anxiety. You might find that helps you a bit.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:58 pm

I don't have a "fear", but job hunting is definitely incredibly depressing for me. Putting in all of this time and effort, just to get rejected on even the simplest of jobs. Not to mention, if there's actually an interview, that's not going to go well at all.

Having a job (the right job) is no problem at all. Meeting all of the new people is awkward at first, but you get over it.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2018, 1:05 pm

Babi dwr wrote:
I know you feel your not able to go for jobs that your either overqualified for or dont know how to do, but believe me its easy if you just accept that you need to facilitate your way to independance. Ive worked in all the scales of employment from dirt floor cleaner up to post grad professional. None of them hurt me, and Im glad of the experience I got from them all.

I never stopped trying different things and I got jobs and left by dinnertime if I didnt think I could do them, or didnt like them but I still went onto try something else. The more you think you cant, you cant. Start thinking you can, and you will.

I know that sooner or later I will have to work, but I just can’t imagine myself doing any job. The nearest thing to thinking “I can” that I’m able to do is to stop thinking. I can either do nothing to get a job, or apply for one without thinking about it. I’ve already done that before (that’s how I got my old tutoring job). That way I can ignore all the reasons why I shouldn’t apply during the interview, and then I beat myself up afterwards for all my potential mistakes in the interview and for having applied for a job where I’m likely to be a failure.

Still, that must be better than nothing.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2018, 1:12 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
The anticipation of something is usually much worse than actually doing it.

I would suggest you find a job that limits your time around other people. I'm NT but I'm terrible with people so I mostly work on files and on a computer and a very small group of coworkers. I prefer it that way and I don't have to worry about my social anxiety. You might find that helps you a bit.

Yeah, I know, anticipation is terrible! My parents say I should be a freelance translator because it’s a job that requires almost no socializing and because I’be got a major on translation. The problem is partly that I don’t know how to get freelance work, and partly that in my last year of college I realized I don’t really like translating, so I’m not at all thrilled about starting to work. That’s why I started thinking about alternatives, but the ones that crossed my mind aren’t any better, so I might end up translating anyway.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 1:14 pm

Translate while you look for something else.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm

Do you live in a town or city that has a decent sized business district? If so, I would highly recommend that you apply for work with a temp agency. There are many great advantages to getting your feet wet doing temp work and include, in no particular order:

- You work for the temp agency and not for the business you're assigned to do short term work for.

- Most jobs are short term. Perhaps a few days or a few weeks. This takes the pressure off you. You don't have to think/worry about whether you think you can handle job "X" for a long time, career, etc.

- There is a good amount of variety since the jobs tend to be short term giving you an opportunity to see what you might like or not like, what you're capable of doing, or not.

- YOU dictate the kind of jobs you want or don't want and the temp agency offers you work accordingly. You can, for example, say you want clerical work, filing, sorting, etc but you do not want physical labor or whatever your desire is in that regard.

- If it simply doesn't work out, who cares? If one of the businesses you temp for doesn't have any more work for you or for whatever reason they decide they no longer need/want your services, you're not being fired.

- There is no reason at all that you would need to disclose anything about your autism. Nobody's business but yours.

- As a college grad, you would almost certainly be offered temp jobs for YOU to choose from.

Decades ago I moved to a large city and someone suggested I get set up with a temp agency. It was excellent advice. I'm very glad I did that. It also boosts your confidence if you work as hard and as diligently as you possibly can. My temp jobs reported back to the temp agency that I did a great job for them and they were very pleased. The temp agency relayed the positive feedback to me which gave me confidence enough to apply for work on my own directly with businesses.

Believe me, I know that fear can be crippling so I understand where you're coming from with that. Given that you're so young, if there is also any part of you aside from the fear where "you don't feel like" working, you do have to push yourself. I believe unless a person is physically or mentally unable to work, we as humans are obligated to do so. Trying your best to "earn your keep". Is it fair? We can try to blame Adam and Eve for getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden, but that won't do any good.....

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:12 pm

nick007 wrote:

:ninja:

A licensed clinical social worker had the nerve to tell me "counseling can help"

Someone told me "counselors, what do they know?"

You have to be specific

Which counselor "helps" which client, at what time, in what way, what amount

Counselors and SSRI can "help", "hurt" , or have zero impact

:mrgreen:

Anyways I have gone to 35 counselors

Ten professional

The rest volunteers with 170 hour training

A lot of counselors tend to be dramatic. They twist my statements in ways that are not factually incorrect, but exaggeration and grossly misleading

But then everyone does that

"Actions speak louder than words"

"If you can't beat them, join them"

:jester:

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2018, 2:56 pm

Magna wrote:
Do you live in a town or city that has a decent sized business district? If so, I would highly recommend that you apply for work with a temp agency. There are many great advantages to getting your feet wet doing temp work and include, in no particular order:

- You work for the temp agency and not for the business you're assigned to do short term work for.

- Most jobs are short term. Perhaps a few days or a few weeks. This takes the pressure off you. You don't have to think/worry about whether you think you can handle job "X" for a long time, career, etc.

- There is a good amount of variety since the jobs tend to be short term giving you an opportunity to see what you might like or not like, what you're capable of doing, or not.

- YOU dictate the kind of jobs you want or don't want and the temp agency offers you work accordingly. You can, for example, say you want clerical work, filing, sorting, etc but you do not want physical labor or whatever your desire is in that regard.

- If it simply doesn't work out, who cares? If one of the businesses you temp for doesn't have any more work for you or for whatever reason they decide they no longer need/want your services, you're not being fired.

- There is no reason at all that you would need to disclose anything about your autism. Nobody's business but yours.

- As a college grad, you would almost certainly be offered temp jobs for YOU to choose from.

Decades ago I moved to a large city and someone suggested I get set up with a temp agency. It was excellent advice. I'm very glad I did that. It also boosts your confidence if you work as hard and as diligently as you possibly can. My temp jobs reported back to the temp agency that I did a great job for them and they were very pleased. The temp agency relayed the positive feedback to me which gave me confidence enough to apply for work on my own directly with businesses.

Believe me, I know that fear can be crippling so I understand where you're coming from with that. Given that you're so young, if there is also any part of you aside from the fear where "you don't feel like" working, you do have to push yourself. I believe unless a person is physically or mentally unable to work, we as humans are obligated to do so. Trying your best to "earn your keep". Is it fair? We can try to blame Adam and Eve for getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden, but that won't do any good.....

I live in a big city (it’s the biggest and most populated city in my country) but, as far as I know, we don’t have any temp agencies. Maybe we do, but I have never heard about them before.

The best job I’ve had was being a camp counselor. I had some setbacks the first few weeks, but things got better as I got used to the job and I got very positive feedback at the end of the summer. I felt really happy and almost confident, but then I returned to my home and the pressure of getting a new, serious, real and long term job killed all the confidence I had.

I know I have to work, but I just can’t imagine myself doing anything that people pay for and I honestly think I’m useless. I’ve spent half of my day crying on my bed because my mother forced me to write a cv (which I did, but as writing my cv involved thinking about getting jobs, I got really anxious and couldn’t stop crying).