Better with machines than people :(

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 3:44 pm

we often are different irl, but ur writing is fascinating)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 11:48 pm

:oops: :oops: I keep thinking my vernacular is part of this metaphysical surface layer between me & other people's base reality. 8O

It more or less only just occurred to me how much I rely on fancy pants advanced English every day, or else I'd have code my hands into dust.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 11:54 pm

I'm better able to figure out and fix vintage televisions than interact with people. I also understand the complex networking of the Bell System during the 1970s better than I can network with other people.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:39 am

I wrote this post on a Chinese phone with a custom OS & just spent 3 hours drinking at a software release party. :jester:

Strangely enough I'm more or less just fine with what you might call networking socially. I suppose my rambling thread is more about the concept of connecting my real world (& online) friends with my technological rabbit hole.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 4:54 am

i see ur mood is improving, this is great) connecting, well, u mean somebody to physically be there and enjoy ur stuff with u? to appriciate ur machinery and ur aptitude with it? if so well, i totally can relate the desire to share ur hyperfocus theme. mostly my friends give me slack and listen when i start rambling about my huperfocus stuff xd okay, vihja is on a go, that will take a while, good thing she can do most of the talking, i just need to nod at right times so that she feels connected to me xD sometimes they invest in conversation and that feels just godly. i totally dont like anybody near my pc, though (unless 1 very specific person, nvm who and why). to let somebody in a tech nook, u need that person to know how to behave there, m? has to be another cybergeek, that way)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 10:46 pm

Honestly what I'm really trying to do is impart enough knowledge on good friends to actually be more helpful to them.

My usual machine these days is less than a kilogram & I've dropped it on a tile floor without major consequences. While it would be really nice to get a new machine, I've learned to like this one because it's not a big deal handing a Linux laptop to most people, it usually requires skill to break my install.

My work machines are also tough although those are workstations. I don't let anybody but coworkers on those but I take them wherever.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2018, 12:06 am

cberg wrote:
Just explaining what I work on stands a good chance of completely exhausting others. I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with better ways to keep it interesting.

There are people who would find it interesting even if you'd be concerned it would be exhausting or too complicated. Trying to stay interesting is great, but if you try to be interesting being anything other than yourself it generally doesn't end well. People will be interested or not, that's really on them more than you.

cberg wrote:
I keep thinking my vernacular is part of this metaphysical surface layer between me & other people's base reality.

I found this sentence immensely pleasing in part because of the ampersand.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 1:59 am

I'm more concerned with how much I can be of help than how interesting I am at face value.

I'm somewhat afraid of failing to give friends a realistic picture of the future.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 3:13 am

there is one thing, cberg. bringing the illumination of knowledge is a noble goal, and whenever somebody wants it, give it. but there be people, who might not, for different reasons, starting with them being focused into different area (and having simply no spare processing power to learn urs as well). people refusing what u offer does not diminish the value of it, u, or ur sentiment of sharing knowledge. so rather than "teach ur friends", "teach whoever needs it". why dont u part-time as a professor in some tech education facility? u'd be so very ideal in the role! and ur need for transferring knowledge would be fulfilled...

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2018, 3:17 am

cberg wrote:
I'm more concerned with how much I can be of help than how interesting I am at face value.

I'm somewhat afraid of failing to give friends a realistic picture of the future.

Have you considered that maybe people are less concerned with how helpful you can be and more concerned with who you are?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 3:37 am

Well I've thought about teaching but I'm entirely self taught unless you count school robotics clubs. I guess I'm saying I feel weird when they're no way to let people into my life as much as they do for me.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 3:44 am

jolly good point puzzledoll, but i guess in this case this is one and the same) "i've got some knowledge, i have come just to teach the young". i can so very relate)))
there are people, who dont care for knowledge. there are people, who hoard it. and there are people, who need to share. (same goes for all the different things, btw). this itch needs proper scrabbing))) (why do u think i keep ranting all around the haven xD)
and cberg, self taught professionals, who also have ample command of a language to transfer that knowledge, are golden goose for any decent education facility. ya, there will somewhere be "where is ur diploma" and other brands of intellectual elitists, but im sure there are installations where they will look at ur vast practical skills, desire and ability to share. friends are well, more about relating to u on a deeper level, and they can have a different interest in life. so need pups of ur own breed to teach to hunt ^^

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 4:02 am

puzzledoll wrote:
cberg wrote:

Have you considered that maybe people are less concerned with how helpful you can be and more concerned with who you are?

I'm not sure I ever exactly compartmentalized those things in my head.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 12:08 am

serpentari wrote:
jolly good point puzzledoll, but i guess in this case this is one and the same) "i've got some knowledge, i have come just to teach the young". i can so very relate)))
there are people, who dont care for knowledge. there are people, who hoard it. and there are people, who need to share. (same goes for all the different things, btw). this itch needs proper scrabbing))) (why do u think i keep ranting all around the haven xD)
and cberg, self taught professionals, who also have ample command of a language to transfer that knowledge, are golden goose for any decent education facility. ya, there will somewhere be "where is ur diploma" and other brands of intellectual elitists, but im sure there are installations where they will look at ur vast practical skills, desire and ability to share. friends are well, more about relating to u on a deeper level, and they can have a different interest in life. so need pups of ur own breed to teach to hunt ^^

Maybe another way of saying all this is that intellectual elitism pretty much applies to any of those groups; it could be that my actual goal is to get rid of all our ridiculous standards so everyone can learn from me & others like me without feeling like they've alienated themselves as I have. If this knowledge can alienate me, it probably works both ways, which I suppose is part of why there's probably more interest in me as a person, even though my habits & studies are somewhat depersonalizing.

Some of my know-how I need to share simply because it's practical stuff I don't want friends to go without.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:34 am

no, its not knowledge that is alienating, if something is. and its not depersonalizing u either, u are a very elaborate person as far as i can see. alienation is about having suffered rejection, which happens NOT because of ur intellectual profile or something, it happens because some ppl are prone to push anything they dont understand. aka xenophobia. being autistic, this comes with the territory. here u and me, talking about it for 4 pages now, and we still suffer miscommunications, both trying to deliver points the other person doesnt receive in full. we are both autistic, but different at that. we are trying, m? many ppl dont try. dont bother. pref to go for an easier target. and tbh, we are better off without those, i've spent enough of my time and soul trying to connect with those. it doesnt work. then, i have friends, different ones, and many of them dont care for my skills and hyperfocus. wrong phrasing, they do care in terms "this makes her feel better, so thats good", but they dont want to delve. i just discuss things of mutual interest with them, and that mutual interest is different with each person. somebody also cant stand somebody else. i let them steer clear of each other, accepting the fact that they dont have to be friends with each other, to be friends with me. point im trying to make, u need to FIND ppl who want what u know, if u need to share. however useful skills those are, its normal to have non-tech mind at all, or just different focus, or something. its about accepting another person as they are, not as u wish them to be (like wanting to learn to hack for example). accepting their lack of such desire, to start with))) first rule in my dischord nook, everybody wants to be accepted, so we have to accept each other. with all our differences and rough edges. that is how friendship works.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 3:19 pm

You're right about the majority of all those tech disciplines & a lot of the less accessible things I know. There's stuff in my head that's basically impossible to convey without years of practice already behind whomever I'm talking to.

Considering I actually know anyone in real life at all, I want to work on better ways to help them feel accepted as they have for me. Another way of saying all this is that I want to share my general sense of how I navigate this absurdly complex & technical world, to help everyone form their own concepts of tech they may encounter. I'm not trying to convey my passionate opinions on software architecture or free operating systems. I'm all about thinking in new ways.