Frightened and miserable

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

suuntavaisto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2019, 5:53 pm

Last night the police unexpectedly showed up at my house.

It really did scare me, because they are essentially strangers, in a position of great power, who demand to be let into your house and ask you all kinds of invasive questions. It doesn't help that I'm really scared of police and authority in general, which is odd as I'm generally a good guy and law-abiding citizen. The police officers even told me they could see me visibly shaking when they showed up, I was really terrified. Long story short, they only wanted to ask me a few questions, I didn't do anything wrong, and they went away, and they won't be back.

But since then, I've been on edge, anxious and miserable. I had originally planned to do lots of productive things today, but I ended up achieving nothing. Like I said, I feel like my personal space was invaded, and I feel kind of violated. I can't stop thinking about it, and I'm incredibly anxious and paranoid about them coming back. I know these fears are completely ridiculous and unjustified, but I've always been the type to have ridiculous fears.

Sensory things became even more difficult to deal with, so it took me hours to be able to eat and take a shower, which I usually manage without a problem. It was hard to get out of bed and move around, and I was constantly anxious that the doorbell might ring and they might come back and demand to be let in again. I got a real scare when a letter came through the letterbox, because the noise startled me and I thought it might be the police again. Even watching TV didn't help to calm me down.

Have any of you experienced anything similar after being frightened like that? How did you deal with the situation, did you manage to cheer up? Right now I'm feeling a little better, but still not my usual self. I hope I cheer up soon.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 7:12 pm

Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

What I might have done.

Special interest hobby activity. Something that either requires a lot of concentration or puzzles solving, maybe even putting together a complicated puzzle. Alternately, something really repetitive. Last on the list, that sometimes works, is to clean up around the house.

Hope you feel better soon.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

My home is my safe space and any intrusion is traumatic. I also find law officers scary even though I've never had a bad experience with law enforcement and even have had some positive experiences. I've been very lucky the past decade to not have any truly traumatizing events occur. But when I did, back in the good old days, I couldn't eat, sleep, or do anything productive.

Getting out of it, for me, is rest, patience, music, meditation, walk in the woods, slip a canoe into the water.

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 6:05 am

guess i'd be silently going nuts for as long as i can afford, and then blast some game the f**k apart for another as long as i can afford. sorry this happened to u.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:42 pm

When you have a time of upset, don't increase the dysfunction by chiding yourself for getting nothing done. Sometimes, you just need a little time to recover. I do best with strong negative emotions by giving in to them, and then slowly regaining equilibrium.

Sorry you had this upsetting experience. I'm curious, if you feel able to answer - what did the police say they were there about?