Scared of Learning to Drive

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

EverViolet116
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm

I can barely handle crossing the street and using crosswalks, I don't know how I'll manage driving. I'm always worried about breaking the rules accidentally and getting in the way of everyone else (not afraid of being hit just of doing the wrong thing). Weird fear, but I've actually changed my route walking home whenever there are cars waiting at the intersections or I just wait out of sight until the car(s) are gone or other people are walking so I know it's ok.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 4:15 pm

I would recommend practice driving as much as possible in very low traffic areas with an experienced driver. Slow reaction times, poor depth perception, challenges with being able to quickly identify potentially dangerous situations, predict what might happen, decide what to do and execute evasive maneuvers if necessary (IPDE) are limitations some people have. If a person has such limitations than they shouldn't drive. You may not have any such limitations. My point is simply that not everyone is capable of or should be driving.

EverViolet116
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if I have any of those limitations but it is one of my worries. I start drivers ed in a few months so hopefully during that time I'll be able to figure out if driving is something I'll be capable of doing, but I also plan to talk to my family about it beforehand and see what they think I should do. Thanks again for the reply.