I almost can't believe it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 6:07 pm

My cousin was attacked at school. To the point where he ended up in hospital. I'm still in shock. To think that he's only nine and went through this...I...well, I'm almost lost for words. He's OK now. But the hardest thing about this situation is that I know that this event is probably going to stay with him for the rest of his life.

Going back to school must be terrifying after this. But even when it's over, he's probably going to think about it during late nights now and then. I can only go from experience, but it took me a long time to undo some of the damage my primary school caused me and even now it occasionally still rears its ugly head. However, I was never hospitalised. I can't even fully imagine what he must be going through right now.

:(

At least he's back to full health again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 6:57 pm

I’m sorry this happened to him. It was a terrible thing to do to him

People are just depraved sometimes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 7:01 pm

Hugs and prayers for him, you and your entire family. I hope he is getting counselling as he returns to class or possibly transfers somewhere new. My nephew and his best friend were stabbed in October and although they are young adults, they're both still in trauma therapy. Allow your cousin to talk through his feelings at every step of his recovery, and show him lots of love. There are good people in the world and we don't want your cousin to forget.

:heart:

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 7:20 pm

When I hear stories like this I'm worried if this is more than a one-off incident.

What I want to say is, was he getting bullied before in school? Does he have social problems? If it's not apparent, did it maybe simply go unnoticed?

A kid getting beat up on it's own is definitely enough to be worried, but it can be a signal to something even more serious.

This is close to my heart because my early life was terrible and nobody noticed.
I think this is what happens to many more kids than we know, they have problems but others can't see it or turn a blind eye and the kids aren't able to ask for the help they need.
Better to find out early, because it adds up over time and usually leaves lasting emotional scars.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 7:30 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 8:13 pm

(((lostdragon & cousin)))

That's really scary!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 8:16 pm

I'm really sorry. Please tell him many people have expressed concern.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
He's OK now. But the hardest thing about this situation is that I know that this event is probably going to stay with him for the rest of his life.

That's terrible news but not everyone lets events like this shape them , he could be lucky and after the initial horror just get on like it never happened - fingers crossed for him , kids can be resilient and surprise us.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm

lets say this. i did end up in hospital from school. as a tween. twice. one was an accident. i recovered. i understand that kid could have had it worse. i dont mean to diminish. and i offer condolences too. things like that just should not happen, yet they do. but ptsd developement from 1 epizode is not so likely. just what Isabella here said. im sorry, im kinda with my brain switched off rn. they say time heals all wounds. i say, it doesnt. but love does.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Mar 2019, 11:44 pm

Sorry to hear about this. Just be there for him. He just needs to know he has many more supporters than detractors and that they are rooting for him.

I honestly don't know what goes on in the minds of bullies. I actually had quite a good primary school experience for the most part but became victimized at high school.

Some kids can be really cruel but many of them can still change as they mature, while others stay violent and become worse.

Keep us posted.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 12:13 am

no!

HUGS!

also hope he knows there are those who have expressed concern.
with any luck he will not let this define him.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 3:04 am

Who attacked him? Another student? A teacher? Another student's parent? An outsider? No matter who it was, surely it's been made police business if he ended up in a hospital... right? Or is that not how things are done where you're from?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 6:29 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Who attacked him? Another student? A teacher? Another student's parent? An outsider?

He was attacked by seven boys from his class.

Earthling wrote:
When I hear stories like this I'm worried if this is more than a one-off incident.

What I want to say is, was he getting bullied before in school?

I hope not, but it's possible. We don't see each other very often, only on the occasional holiday. So I'm fairly out of the loop for the most part. I only find out such things if another family member reaches out about it.

Earthling wrote:
Does he have social problems? If it's not apparent, did it maybe simply go unnoticed?

A kid getting beat up on it's own is definitely enough to be worried, but it can be a signal to something even more serious.

He seems to have better social skills than I did at his age. My cousin is well-spoken, generally comes across as outgoing, and can explain his emotions most of the time. Although, he did show a lot of concern with being tough at one point and looking back on that I have to wonder if perhaps bullying was going on back then.

Plus, I will say that I don't know what he's like with people his own age. I know that back when most kids only knew a few words, he was speaking in long sentences and having full-length conversations with his teachers. When we talk, he comes across as surprisingly witty and he occasionally uses sarcasm.

He’s doing well academically. There are a few theories as to why the attack happened.

1) Apparently he was talking to a girl about doing well in a test before the boys approached him. It’s possible they overheard, and didn’t like the fact he was bragging (if he was).

2) Maybe he was trying to impress this girl, and the others didn’t like it.

3) All of this was just an excuse for the boys to attack him, when the underlying reason is due to race. My cousin is half-Filipino, and lives in an area that I grew up in. The area isn’t that diverse or open-minded, so unfortunately this is a possibility. Especially if the parents of these boys are instilling backwards beliefs into them.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:14 am

I hope a police report will be filed. This is assault! (Don't call it bullying - it goes beyond that.)

Don't count on the school to do anything about it.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 8:39 am

ya, bea is right, it should be taken to police, if it wasnt. it wouldnt help recovery BUT it could prevent the kid scum to feel unpunished and thus, indulged to do that, and more, again. crime should be cut in the birth...

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 11:33 am

Update: I saw my cousin today. Despite the incident, he came across as happy and energetic as usual. However, one of his eyes is still a little bruised up. It should heal in time though, and if not then it would only leave a faint scar. But it's more likely that it'll just heal.

Surprisingly, he still goes to that school and enjoys it. The boys involved were punished for their behaviour, although one got a lighter punishment than the others. Even though he was the one who did the most damage. Apparently his mother was there at the time, and did nothing. So she saw her son attacking my cousin, but didn't intervene. :| :x

On a less agitating note, my cousin is still getting good grades and doing well in extra-curricular activities. Even has a circle of friends (I hope they truly are his friends, and aren't like the people I use to call friends at that age).

He actually likes school...which is definitely a foreign concept to me. The school has threatened to expel the pupils that were involved if they try anything again, so he thinks that it is unlikely that they will. I certainly hope that nothing happens again. He enjoys it so much there, despite it all.