It's like banging my head on the wall...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 11:22 am

Do you ever feel like talking to someone is like banging your head on the wall, painful and useless, yet you keep doing it anyway?

I do this a lot, although lately I've learned to control myself a bit better. It's just that when I hear someone say something that goes against my morals or something similiar, I try to get them to understand why it's not okay 'cause I feel like it would make the world a little better place... but these people tend to not listen, just repeating same things over and over again, usually illogical but sometimes also completely off topic. I know it's highly unlikely that someone would get through to people like that, yet I often end up trying... anyone else have the same problem?

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2019, 5:12 pm

Yeah, I have this problem with my mother and I feel like an absolute idiot for it because I swear I've had the same conversations with her over and over again for years. She doesn't understand and yet I keep trying to make her understand.
It's like you say - you feel like you're doing good in the moment, like you're making the world a better place; I feel that too, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's very wise of us. Because you're right - we are just banging our heads against a wall :/ everyone is different, some people will never understand us and I think we have to just learn to accept that and let go, even though it's not so easy. Having said that, I know I'll still probably end up trying to get through to my mum because it's just a bad habit at this point -_-

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:21 pm

Are there Finnish rednecks?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:29 pm

There’s redneck type people everywhere.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 11:01 pm

Marknis wrote:

Kraftie's right, but to be honest the person that triggered me to post this was American (internet stuff; I don't know him in real life.)

But yeah, I do have this problem with some fellow Finns too of course, worst being my half sister. More on the internet though since IRL most are restricted from giving strong opinions because that's not socially acceptable unless you're family or otherwise "close" in society's eyes.

SoloSailor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2019, 8:12 am

Quote: