Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 7:33 am

My cat is elderly and she has been diagnosed with severe kidney failure and the vet said she's not got long to live. She's not in pain and she's still eating, so we still have her at home but the moment she looks like she's suffering she will be put to sleep, as we don't want her to die in agony.

We all knew this day would come, but it's still so very sad. She's a unique cat, she's always been very sociable for a cat; always around humans and you could touch her paws and feet and she would never scratch or bite. In fact she has never once scratched or bitten anybody in her whole life, and she's very vocal. She is part of the family and I've always called her my little sister.

When she passes away when I go to see my mum and dad it will feel very quiet without her. It's very heartbreaking, but my mum says she won't get another pet because of the expense. I can't get a cat because my boyfriend is allergic to cats, unfortunately.

This is so heartbreaking and my chest physically hurts from it. I wish cats lived 150 years like tortoises.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:02 am

Yeah...I know.

I wish they lived longer, too.

The best thing you can do is what you're going to do.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:28 am

Sorry to hear that. Cats can be quite sociable. Mine like to jump in my lap when I'm surfing the web.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:29 am

My cat is 10 years old. It is a very affectionate cat. About 5 years ago, it almost died. Its eyes glossed over and it staggered as it walked. It no longer could jump to get to its food. It looked so bad and evil dangerous. I thought it might have contracted rabies. Anyways I took thick gloves and took it to the Vet. He said my cat had contracted a virus and most cats will never recover from it. He could give the cat medicine but there was only a 10 percent chance that it would ever recover. He said the virus affects it ears. The cat cannot walk properly because its sense of balance in its inner ear was destroyed and that is why the cat appears to walk like a drunk and can no longer jump. The cat also lost its hearing completely because of the virus. Anyways I paid for the medicine and over time the lack of balance was corrected and the cat is closer to normal. It still cannot hear which can become a problem because it will not come when called. But the cat is still very affectionate.

When my cat dies, I will replace it with a kitten as I have done many, many times before. Cats are generally not very expensive to keep. The cost is primarily the cost of cat food and a large bag of dried cat food can last for a couple months. They are significantly less expensive than the cost of keeping a dog.

You said "I can't get a cat because my boyfriend is allergic to cats". Maybe there is a work around for that problem. There are many different breeds of cats. Some breeds are hypoallergenic. These breeds are Sphynx, Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Oriental, Russian Blue, Balinese, Siberian and Bengal.

Hypoallergenic Cat Breeds

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 12:18 pm

I'm going to look into getting a hypoallergenic cat. I'd love to have a cat of my very own. I work evenings so I'll be there all day with the cat, and my boyfriend comes home before I go to work, so the cat will never be alone. I know I'm capable of taking care of a cat, because I love cats. My life just won't be the same without having a cat. My boyfriend likes cats too and is often ashamed about his allergy, so compromising for a hypoallergenic cat is the best bet. It's the only way I'll accept my family cat when she's gone. I know she's old, she's 20 years old! So she's had a long, happy life. But I can't imagine her dead. It's heartbreaking. :cry:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 5:43 pm

I'm sorry about you cat.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 9:32 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 12:42 am

Joe90 wrote:
My cat is elderly and she has been diagnosed with severe kidney failure and the vet said she's not got long to live. She's not in pain and she's still eating, so we still have her at home but the moment she looks like she's suffering she will be put to sleep, as we don't want her to die in agony.

We all knew this day would come, but it's still so very sad. She's a unique cat, she's always been very sociable for a cat; always around humans and you could touch her paws and feet and she would never scratch or bite. In fact she has never once scratched or bitten anybody in her whole life, and she's very vocal. She is part of the family and I've always called her my little sister.

When she passes away when I go to see my mum and dad it will feel very quiet without her. It's very heartbreaking, but my mum says she won't get another pet because of the expense. I can't get a cat because my boyfriend is allergic to cats, unfortunately.

This is so heartbreaking and my chest physically hurts from it. I wish cats lived 150 years like tortoises.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

<sympathies>

Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:15 am

I am so sorry.Losing a beloved pet hurts so bad.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

23 Jun 2019, 8:31 am

:heart: Don't forget, cats go to Heaven when they die... My grandmother was heartbroken when one of the dogs she had died. She prayed and sshe recieved a picture of Jesus with every single animal she had ever had all in Heaven. It brought such a great comfort to her.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:23 am

My condolences on your upcoming loss of your cat. It will take time to heal from this loss. I still morn the death of my family’s dog and he died over three years ago. He died from congestive heart failure after living ten years with us. I hope you can find a cat that will touch your heart the same way your old one did.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm going to look into getting a hypoallergenic cat. I'd love to have a cat of my very own. I work evenings so I'll be there all day with the cat, and my boyfriend comes home before I go to work, so the cat will never be alone. I know I'm capable of taking care of a cat, because I love cats. My life just won't be the same without having a cat. My boyfriend likes cats too and is often ashamed about his allergy, so compromising for a hypoallergenic cat is the best bet. It's the only way I'll accept my family cat when she's gone. I know she's old, she's 20 years old! So she's had a long, happy life. But I can't imagine her dead. It's heartbreaking. :cry:

Wow! 20 years! It’s heartbreaking to lose something that has been a part of your life for so long. It was really hard when my 19 year old cat died.

I’m very sorry for your loss. Definitely, take care of yourself through the mourning process. Don’t be afraid to take a day or two off work if you need to. Losing a pet is like losing a family member.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 6:35 pm

It's heartbreaking to see her still eating well and going outside to do her business, even though she has all this swelling and fluid build-up around her middle which the vet has confirmed is bad news. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but we all know that this illness she's got is a ticking time bomb. She seems to be hanging on to her life, which is just so hard to make the awful decision of having her put down. We will know if she's in pain because she will express it. I've got to go back home tomorrow and so it could be the last time I'll ever see her, so it's going to be very upsetting to say goodbye. But at least I won't have to see her dead.

My chest is hurting though. I've been crying on and off all day. I was a child when she was born, and she's always been here. I am encouraging my dad to get another cat, and I can tell he wants to. He's literally had cats all his life, so not having a cat to greet him when he comes home from work will be a huge loss.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:49 am

If you get a rescue kitty you will save a life,that will help some with the loss.
If you have a garden spot plant something in memory of your pet.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

For some reason death frightens me, not just about me dying but other people/animals. I'm not sure if cats think they're going to live forever. If she does have to be put to sleep, I hope it won't hurt her. The needle going in might hurt, and I heard it takes a couple of minutes for them to die. I don't like the thought of this. And then you have to bring the dead cat back home to bury. All the other times she's ever been to the vet, she's come back home, and I can tell she's happy when she gets home. When we first took her up the vets a few years ago (which was a long time since she'd last been as a kitten), she was terrified. She was shaking, miawing loudly, and trying to get back into her pet cage. When we finally put her back into her pet cage, she settled down and she was happy when we got her back home. The next few times we took her to the vet, she came to trust us, that we will always bring her back home alive, and so she was no longer afraid of the vet. This time, though, we really are going to take her to the vet to 'kill' her. She's in between that stage where you feel guilty of putting her down (because she's not actually in pain and she seems happy), but you also feel guilty of keeping her alive (because she's got this illness that will eventually shut her body down). It's so heartbreaking. And it's worse when you overthink things like I do.

If she was peeing, pooping and vomiting everywhere and crying in pain and hardly moving, then taking her to the vet to be put down will be a relief because it would mean she would be put out of her misery. But when I see her pooping in dirt in the garden then scrapping it up (in other words, still independent), it's so hard and heartbreaking to make the decision. Dying peacefully in her sleep will be the best way to go, but she seems to be hanging on to her life.