Salad has lost his ability to sleep :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 4:05 pm

I really really am in a terrible bind and dilemma right now that is heavily interfering with my education right now and sabotaging my life so bad right now; it is the issue of sleep and my chronic lack of sleep that got worse after my friend's suicide and has barely improved weeks later. When my friend commit suicide I talked about the night terrors and how much my sleep was impinged greatly, and even weeks later despite improving in many ways since a few weeks ago the process of sleep deprivation that got worse after my friend's suicide (it technically started far before that, but the suicide exacerbated whatever issues with sleep I had) has barely improved and is messing up my education and life right now. I'm currently writing this PM from the University I attend, and right now the sleep problem is making my time at the University a hell; I'm missing classes in my 1st week because I'm too sleepy to even move across campus, I'm skipping homework because im too sleepy to even read my textbook, and even today I've already missed 1 lecture and contemplated missing another, with the one I did attend just a few minutes ago I was barely conscious and barely able to even stay awake - my eyes were literally blinking rapidly in class as if fighting the urge to fall asleep. Because I'm attending a big university it's even more daunting since my classes are all so far away in different parts of the city, and I'm too sleepy and tired to muster the energy to even walk to my classes this week.

While the nightmares and terrors have pretty much stopped and im beginning to heal therapeutically and convalesce the pattern of sleeplessness hasn't disappeared despite hard conscious efforts on my part to sleep the entire night. I've tried taking sleeping pills like Melatonin and Magnesium tablets to sleep, yet still no avail. Luckily my classes drop the lowest homework and quizzes so me skipping my 1st homeworks and quizzes so far hasn't done anything, but I can't keep going on like this at the University just sleep deprived without any energy or mental strength to even keep my eyes open in class. I really wish I can sleep, but as they say old habits die hard and what started as a pattern of repeated sleeplessness for a reason has continued even as the original cause of my sleeplessness has abated to point of healing, the symptom still remains stubbornly. All the classes im taking are super super easy, the type of classes I could have easily got perfects on in 9th grade, yet for me to not be at my A game and do so poorly for such baby level easy classes due to external factors such as lack of sleep is pissing me off. The math that I'm learning now I was easily doing in 9th grade, and I say that not to brag or be arrogant but to show how deleteriously impinging this lack of sleep is on me (it's not the only factor tbh but relevant to this post) where something I was doing intuitively years ago im doing comparatively much more sloppily years later despite being older and expected to be even greater.

Master Oogway

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 7:43 pm

The main cause of your sleep problem is stress overload that has pushed you into a state of trauma.

This is a List of Signs of Trauma:
* Deer in the headlight frozen expression
* Paleness and racing heartbeat
* Terrified speechless
* Disruptive behavior
* Anger, irritability, mood swings, edginess
* Hyperactive
* Poor concentration
* Demonstrating poor impulse control
* Lethargic, lack of energy
* Depressed
* Shock, denial, or disbelief
* Confusion, feeling out of control
* Anxiety and fear
* Night terrors
* Guilt, shame and self-blame
* Withdrawing from others
* Feeling sad and hopeless
* Feeling disconnected or numb, spacey
* Hyper-focus on mortality or death
* Loss of appetite or overeating
* Obsessive-compulsive behavior
* Avoidance behavior

To resolve this problem work on ways of venting stress energy.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 1:06 am

Have you considered taking this semester off? It's early enough to get a refund.

Sunshine, exercise (not just before sleep though), plenty of water throughout the day. Just 20 minutes of sunshine is helpful... I also recently read where pistachio nuts help people sleep.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 10:02 am

Persephone29 wrote:
I also recently read where pistachio nuts help people sleep.

it’s possibly the niacin that helps with staying asleep... a lid of dry roasted peanuts is had before bed, and is usually sufficient to make it to deep sleep before interruption.