How can I not be so bothered by this?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 12:01 pm

Yeah.... anyway, back on topic, I find it hard to just come off Facebook, as it does serve some purpose like keeping in touch with different people and I enjoy looking through those funny meme pages and sharing them. It's not always easy to just quit, especially after 9 years of being on Facebook. I have considered coming off Facebook a a few times because of being secretly jealous of my peers on there but I was too weak-willed and came back. I know that if you deactivate your account the 30-day thing is helpful if a hacker got in and deactivated your account because it gives you enough time to be able to sort it out - but I also think that another reason for the 30-day thing is to keep people addicted, knowing that when deactivating your account you have a whole month to turn back. A month is a long time to keep yourself from checking the site.

SecretOpossumCabal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2020, 8:09 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yeah.... anyway, back on topic, I find it hard to just come off Facebook, as it does serve some purpose like keeping in touch with different people and I enjoy looking through those funny meme pages and sharing them. It's not always easy to just quit, especially after 9 years of being on Facebook. I have considered coming off Facebook a a few times because of being secretly jealous of my peers on there but I was too weak-willed and came back. I know that if you deactivate your account the 30-day thing is helpful if a hacker got in and deactivated your account because it gives you enough time to be able to sort it out - but I also think that another reason for the 30-day thing is to keep people addicted, knowing that when deactivating your account you have a whole month to turn back. A month is a long time to keep yourself from checking the site.

Yes like anything else that is addicting you take babysteps to overcome it. You can still keep in touch with people via email, but social media tends to emphasize a wrong way of keeping in touch (looking at peoples achievements which is very detrimental to our spirit). Humans have a NASTY evil eye. So much so, that in the bible you have stories of people who were destroyed merely by looking at a thing, and you see this theme repeat in a lot of Christian literature. You know the saying, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil? or the three wise monkeys? They're emphasizing that.

If you put nasty things in your mouth, and become overweight, reason would tell you that you're overweight because you're eating poorly. The same thing can be said with your eyes, when you put nasty things there, and they go straight to your heart, and if you feel bad because of it, then reason would suggest that you're putting nasty things into your eyes (and ears). But the mouth tends to confirm that a person keeps planting evil thoughts in their heart, so filthy language betrays filthy eyes and ears.

Back in time when our whole world was just our family/village, if someone in the village has a breakthrough with success, you'd be genuinely happy for them because it doesn't happen often, but social media makes it appear as it's the norm for humans to have nothing but success, which then gives us the impression that we're failures. Which isn't true.

Hence why in early modern folk music you often see city women being compared with country women. Often praising the simplicity, devotion, and strength of country women who aren't distracted by the bustling of the city. Nothing has really changed.

Here's an early-modern folk song describing the complexcity of city women vs. the simplicity of the country girl.

I care not for these ladies,
That must be wooed and prayed:
Give me kind Amaryllis,
The wanton country maid.
Nature art disdaineth,
Her beauty is her own.
Her when we court and kiss,
She cries, “Forsooth, let go!”
But when we come where comfort is,
She never will say no.

If I love Amaryllis,
She gives me fruit and flowers:
But if we love these ladies,
We must give golden showers.
Give them gold, that sell love,
Give me the nut-brown lass,
Who, when we court and kiss,
She never will say no.

These ladies must have pillows,
And beds by strangers wrought;
Give me a bower of willows,
Of moss and leaves unbought,
And fresh Amaryllis,
With milk and honey fed;
Who, when we court and kiss,
She never will say no.

City living will often make a lady a prude because of her covetous eyes. In this song, the country lady being compared to the flower amaryllis has beauty that's 'her own' because she's not comparing her beauty to other women, and therefor she gets the confidence in keeping it, for the country brought out her natural beauty and simplicity. Country living isolated her and made her content in the simple things in life. Which makes her happier, more beautiful, and more youthful, and more devoted.

So like a flower you need to mind your delicate nature, for like a flower you might then get to keep a beautiful nature and thereby feel beautiful as a result.