Difficulty with weekends

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2020, 2:41 pm

Hi all.

Does anyone else find it difficult to enjoy/get through weekends? I am trying not to but it seems like every single weekend I end up getting in a fight and getting emotionally dysregulated. I seem to always be anxious and hypersensitive to being criticized or interrogated.

Anyone else?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

Who are you getting into fights with on weekends?

I am neutral about weekends. During the week I can't wait for the weekend, but I don't usually end up doing anything enjoyable, it's just the lack of work stress that I like. What I dislike is when co-workers ask what I did over the weekend, because I never have anything remotely interesting to say.

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2020, 7:55 pm

Not like fistfights, more like arguments. Bickering, really.

I used to love weekends! Now I just feel anxious. I thought it was maybe because of the constant existential threat of potential political collapse, but my weekend-dread started a while ago. It used to only happen on Sundays but it crept into Saturday now too. Wamp wamp.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 8:02 pm

Do your arguments involve people you are forced to interact with (such as people you live with), or people you seek association with (such as friends)?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 8:11 pm

malavois wrote:
Hi all.

Does anyone else find it difficult to enjoy/get through weekends? I am trying not to but it seems like every single weekend I end up getting in a fight and getting emotionally dysregulated. I seem to always be anxious and hypersensitive to being criticized or interrogated.

Anyone else?

Clarification, please:
Who do you fight with on the weekends?
Where is your "battle arena"?

I, myself, have virtual isolation every day of the week.
I rarely argue with myself. :mrgreen:

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2020, 11:35 pm

The arguments are with the person I live with. The “battleground” is my home.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 11:46 pm

malavois wrote:
....Does anyone else find it difficult to enjoy/get through weekends?.....

Anyone else?

Yes. I will be working seven days a week for the foreseeable future and have been for a couple of months now. I'm finishing my graduate degree. It's getting real old and my anxiety is peaking in ways it hasn't since 2015 in the months leading up to when I got booted from college.

Sorry your home environment is combative. I don't think I could handle that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 1:01 am

malavois wrote:
The arguments are with the person I live with. The “battleground” is my home.

I am a co-owner of a house with a sibling.
We don't get on.
I simply keep to myself.
Problem solved. 8)

But having a spouse is completely different, obviously.
Would it cause more problems if you simply avoided each other, for a while?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 9:26 am

I live alone and prefer my hobbies over things that I do on weekdays at work so no, I don't have that problem. But if I had to spend them with someone I don't get along with then I probably would.

Do you think it'd be possible for you to work during weekends and have your days off during the week?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 7:58 pm

Long walks/(drives) in the park with your dog (if you have one)?

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2020, 5:53 pm

Another bad weekend. No dog. Can’t change my work schedule. My emotional problems continue to make things harder.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 5:58 pm

malavois wrote:
Another bad weekend. No dog. Can’t change my work schedule. My emotional problems continue to make things harder.

Have you considered therapy. Or. Couples therapy ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 6:10 pm

Do you have any kind of project or hobby you can bury yourself in on the weekend?

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2020, 6:39 pm

I am in individual therapy and group therapy, the latter of which is specifically designed to help people with emotional dysregulation, which I struggle with. My boyfriend is in individual therapy, and I’ve tried to make couples therapy happen for a long time but it just hasn’t yet. I have hobbies that I like but I also have pretty severe depression and anxiety, for which I am medicated, so the idea of doing something pleasurable doesn’t feel good when I feel like a giant piece of stinking garbage.

I don’t really want to get into the should-I-stay-or-should-I-go aspect of my relationship. It’s not really relevant, since I’ve already been through that and came to my conclusion based on lots of discussion and the context of our pasts, which is far too lengthy to get into. I often get tired of the conflict and think about whether I could live the rest of my life by myself, eschew companionship and support in exchange for never having to be in an argument ever again. But that has not been my choice.

I’m new to this message board and I’m not clear on what I want or what I can expect, and even though I’d hoped to find some kind of like-minded community, I have been making the same social blunders as I’ve always made. I appreciate everyone who has asked questions and offered suggestions. That is very kind.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 7:03 pm

^ It's good that you both are putting the effort in (with the therapy). I hope that if you're able to do couple's therapy it will help :) .

You seem like a nice person and a good addition to WP. I haven't seen any blunders from you, but we all do them so we should try to not feel too badly when it happens :) .

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2020, 7:36 pm

Thank you. I really do appreciate that.