Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 6:53 am

I don't feel very well at all. My mental health has hit rock bottom. I can't face doing anything, I can't face going to work, all the housework is being neglected partly because I keep forgetting and also because I just can't get myself motivated. All I do when I'm not at work or eating is lay in bed. All I want to do is shut myself away from society. It's such a mental effort to turn up for work.

But it's difficult for me to do things like therapy or see the doctor because I work during the week and it will mean I'll have to wake myself up early and I need my sleep as I find it difficult getting to sleep at night, and therapy sessions and doctor surgeries are closed at the weekends.

So I'm just stuck with this depression. I don't even feel sad or angry, just numb and extremely lazy, like self-neglect. I suppose there are no answers.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 7:39 am

Samaritans: Tel: 116123

Open 24/7

Or:

Via email

Emailing us on [email protected] is free.

Good luck!

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2023, 10:07 am

5HTP

These have pulled me out of a slump twice . I stopped taking them for period .

2 a day , and you will feel the difference by day 3 . I promise

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jan 2023, 10:27 am

Note that this should not be taken with SSRIs such as Sertraline (aka Zoloft).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 12:11 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Note that this should not be taken with SSRIs such as Sertraline (aka Zoloft).

Does this mean I'll have to come off Sertraline while taking this, or just take it at least two hours apart from each other?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jan 2023, 12:27 pm

"Taken with" in this context usually means "in conjunction with", so it's not down to timing or pacing dosages.

The effects of Sertraline also don't stop and start at regular intervals so the fact that you're taking it at all should mean that taking 5HTP is to be avoided.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2023, 12:55 pm

Sertraline I hear and have experienced not so good . It made me have a mild feeling of sickness .. so I guess it works in a way that made me focus on the sickly feeling over being depressed . I lasted about 1 month on those .

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 1:45 pm

I've been on Sertraline for over 8 years and I haven't had an angry outburst since I went on them (I have my moments of course but I can control them). Sertraline has never really helped my anxiety or depression, and I have reason to be depressed too (which I won't go into right now). So I'm scared to come off Sertraline in case I might start losing control of my anger again. This is why I hate myself, because of the way I can't even control my own emotions even though I'm the one feeling them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

Sorry you are feeling so poorly.

I don’t know that product that was recommended but I used to take Sertraline, from 25 mg up to 200 which made me a flatlined zombie, and back to 25. I’ve tried other SSRI too but Sertraline was one of the better ones for me, only if taken at a very low dose.

Combining any other serotonin with it could cause you to have serotonin syndrome so speak to your doctor first or take one instead of the other. If you stay on Sertraline maybe you would benefit from a dosage adjustment up or down just a little.

if you can’t find therapy at night / on weekends you might want to consider missing a half day of work per week for appointments to get you through this rough time. Sometimes just a few sessions can help.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 7:51 pm

Many ways to treat depression w/o therapists or doctors visits.

Sunshine, exercise/cardio, healthy, food, water, sleep, psilocybin etc.

Ofc it's a challenge to do anything when you lack motivation to do anything.. but if you can Force yourself to go for a walk & prepare a healthy meal whether soup or salad or whatever you'll be doing yourself some healing and over time should begin to feel better vs. worse.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 11:41 am

I’m sorry.I’ve been there .Perhaps you might want to see a doctor.Some types of SSRIs quit being effective after time.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ ... poops-out/

I’ve been on 20 mg Lexapro for years.
Works very well for me with no side effects.

Last edited by Misslizard on 09 Jan 2023, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 12:27 pm

I know this will sound corny but another thing that makes a big difference for my anxiety / depression and mental clarity is vitamins and supplements.

I thought it was all hype and wouldn’t make a difference at all but I honestly notice my mood and abilities are better when I take:

Omega 3 ultra strength fish oil soft gels
900 mg
Its the one that says “no fishy aftertaste”
I keep them in the fridge for even less taste when they’re cool
They’re very good for brain function but also cholesterol and heart health

Also

Methylated B Complex Vitamins — not the normal ones. Some people can’t metabolise the synthetic ones. They’re very good for the nervous system and anxiety overall plus my hair and nails have grown like wildfire. It’s a multi-B vitamin which is “bio-active”.

NAC is good for the brain too and it will help you sleep.

I’m not a paid advertisement but they really do make a noticeable difference for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 6:17 pm

I'm feeling OK at the moment. I think it's issues I'm having with a co-worker that is causing me to be depressed. I'll be OK.