My roomie & I lost our jobs :(

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:45 pm

We're both serial workaholics who worked pretty much all the way through 2020, I don't normally post in here any more but damn, I've been using work as a productive means of distracting myself from a great many bleak realities that are sinking in again. Turns out merely being all but universally handy with geospatial 3D software is no guarantee of employment, I'll work towards getting hired back since I like the company, but the fact that my life will soon entirely consist of pressure again is getting to me.

Back to living on my wits alone I guess. This is laptop is dead, so is my income until I can get on unemployment or just magically figure something out. It's not like I didn't apply again...

I just worked 2.3 years without any extra vacation. I can't even wrap my brain around that.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 10:50 pm

Oh dear! Sure hope something to reduce or relieve the pressure comes y'all's way, and soon.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 11:52 pm

That sucks :( . It sounds like you have some valuable skills & experience. I hope you can find a replacement (with even better pay and conditions) soon.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 12:45 am

Better pay is not a problem, better conditions are since I'm in an autism group with the company. I'll still be talking to them regularly & I'm eligible for unemployment benefits, but constantly applying all over the place will be rough.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 1:45 am

Aw man. :(

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 6:42 am

So sorry.....!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Dec 2020, 9:01 am

Sorry to hear about that, and hoping you'll find another autism friendly position in the near future.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 10:16 am

Sorry to hear.
Hopefully something much better will come along that will be ideally suited to your needs.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 10:43 am

My condolences on the loss of your job. I hope you find a better job that does not work you to death like this one. Good luck in your job hunt.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 3:38 pm

Sorry to hear! Don't give up! Don't stop looking for a new job and start to realize some ideas on your own. Be sure it will pay off!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 7:01 pm

It's hard to say how I really think I should feel on the matter since it's been a brutal internship process, but all indications are that I survived the thing & may be looked at by my company later on. I'm just wrapping up the process of deleting my work life in a few minutes & then basically praying that I get something harder to do again next year.

I don't actually want to work anywhere else, when I don't challenge my engineering brain I lose my mind. I mean I know it's not easy on me but work is my escape from my social ineptitude. I avoid interactions I think I would screw up by studying or otherwise trying to do something productive. Work was a place I could reasonably hide from a social life that doesn't take me anywhere these days. Sure, I always need to become a better & better coder. I have to learn more surveying, civil engineering, robotics, et cetera BUT NONE OF THOSE THINGS BRING ME ANY CLOSER TO PEOPLE.

I know it's not healthy to just want to become an industrial IT guru overnight on top of brick & mortar engineering practice, all instead of being around people who know me. I am way too used to being alone, trying to break that habit has never been easy for me.

Ultimately I guess I have pretty good focus, but overusing it because somebody decided autistic brains can help them release better software is still a matter of being taken advantage of. What do I know anyway? :?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 8:05 pm

Sorry to hear of your and and your roommate's situation.
Things have certainly been in upheaval this year, and for the last few years in my case at least.
Swimming upstream is a b***h but it helps to build up your muscles.
No sinking allowed. :ninja:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 9:10 pm

That's certainly how I planned on getting by quite some time ago anyway. #1 rule don't f**k up. :|

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2020, 1:09 pm

I dunno if you can earn any money while on unemployment insurance or not, but there’s always the option of doing some remote work project online.

My friend contracts some work sometimes to programmers via upwork.com - the pay is Not high because you’d be competing globally with Indian programmers that work for less, so it tends to work out to ~$15/hr.

But, if you Can earn some money And keep benefits it may be an option.. or for in between benefits and a new job. Pays better than zero, is 100% remote with zero human interactions (autism and covid friendly!) & you Might be able to find a challenging project to occupy your engineering noodle for a while.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 3:14 am

And if you just need a passion project to keep you occupied I have ideas.. :D

Seriously though, I do have website/app ideas that Could be real things. But I am Not a web developer or programmer of any sort (I can build spreadsheets I suppose) & I dunno if your particular skill set would apply to anything I’ve dreamt up, But, just saying.. if you need something to occupy your time, and have the skills to create certain things, you never know - mmmaybe we Could Actually collaborate on a project. I have some commercial ideas as well as at least one that I’d envision as a non-profit; but even non-profits can generate revenue & incomes.

Blah blah blah - you’ll at least never be without Something to do. Just better if it can pay you, duh. :)

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 9:23 pm

I'm so sorry! That sucks :(