Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 7:40 pm

I want to have the vaccine when it's my turn but I keep hearing scary things about it on Facebook that I don't know are true or not, and it's putting me off. Today someone shared a post saying that people have died in Norway after receiving one of the COVID vaccines (the pfifter, whatever it's called).

I'm hoping that isn't true, or if it is then it's just coincidence that they died from something else unrelated to the vaccine. OR I hope they didn't still die from COVID even after having the vaccine, otherwise this pandemic will go on forever.

A lot of people are doubting that the vaccines are going to end this pandemic. So what am I to think? What do I believe? Why do people have to keep sharing these things on Facebook?

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm

All medicines and vaccines have some level of risk, but it's normally very small. And definitely a lot smaller than the risks from Covid-19.

There's also always going to be a small number of people who don't get to live a long life anyway. There's a temptation for critics to leap on any death post-vaccine as being automatically the fault of the vaccine when it could actually have been sheer, random bad luck. An entirely unrelated issue that just happened to crop up at the same time. That's statistical white noise and needs to be filtered out before we can draw any conclusions about vaccine safety. Most of the negative FB posts I've seen, involving lots of exclamation marks and CAPITAL LETTERS!! !! have been based on news stories where the cause of death is still under investigation. They're clearly hoping to hook people into their message with eye-catching and hysterical commentary, while hoping not too many people read the source information properly.

At the end of the day we're all going to die, the question is when, and by what means?

Heart attack?
Car accident?
Covid-19?
Reaction to Covid-19 vaccine?
Drowning in liquid chocolate?

Some of these are a lot more likely than the others.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
but I keep hearing scary things about it on Facebook

That is because neurotypicals have some kind of perverse fetish about being afraid, they love fear, they will and they do pay a lot of money for things to make them afraid.
And when they don't have something already naturally existing in their life to be afraid of they will put A LOT of effort in to creating something or someone to be afraid of.
And people who have things to sell and causes to promote seize upon that hunger for fear & then use it to manipulate your emotions which then manipulates your thoughts for their profit at your expense.

In short, Facebook is a mining company using and exploiting the resource that is you.

Here is a reference to the concept;

Quote:
This is how your fear and outrage are being sold for profit
By Tobias Rose-Stockwell
July 28, 2017

The world feels more dangerous. Our streets seem less safe. The assault on our values is constant. The threats feel real. The enemy is out there — just check your feed.

https://qz.com/1039910/how-facebooks-ne ... or-profit/

Quote:
... The fear traveled as widely as the stories reporting it. The emotional response — and the media attached to it — generated billions of impressions for the companies reporting on it.

Those billions were parlayed directly into advertising revenue. Before the hysteria had ended, millions of dollars worth of advertising real-estate attached to Ebola-related media had been bought and sold algorithmically to companies.

The terror was far more contagious than the virus itself, and had the perfect network through which to propagate — a digital ecosystem built to spread emotional fear far and wide.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 8:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I want to have the vaccine when it's my turn but I keep hearing scary things about it on Facebook that I don't know are true or not, and it's putting me off. Today someone shared a post saying that people have died in Norway after receiving one of the COVID vaccines (the pfifter, whatever it's called).

I'm hoping that isn't true, or if it is then it's just coincidence that they died from something else unrelated to the vaccine. OR I hope they didn't still die from COVID even after having the vaccine, otherwise this pandemic will go on forever.

A lot of people are doubting that the vaccines are going to end this pandemic. So what am I to think? What do I believe? Why do people have to keep sharing these things on Facebook?

There are a lot of sick people who like to spread lies because they like to make people afraid. I don't understand why but they exist nonetheless. As for your fear about dying from covid if you catch it even after getting the vaccine, I read that if you do catch it after anyway you are a lot less likely to get seriously ill. There have also been a lot of debunked lies when the trials were going on so it iis unfortunately clear that people lie a lot. A funny one was someone saying that it makes you change races but that is on the more ridiculous side.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm

When a person enters a nursing home, many times they are at deaths door. What is happening in Norway at the moment is that they are vaccinating the oldest and frailest individuals and a few are dying. But many of these old and frail individuals are dying even without receiving the vaccine. IMHO, their deaths are likely more related to the fact that they are old and frail rather than related to the vaccine.

Doctors in Norway have been told to conduct more thorough evaluations of very frail elderly patients in line to receive the Pfizer BioNTec vaccine against covid-19, following the deaths of 23 patients shortly after receiving the vaccine.

“It may be a coincidence, but we aren’t sure,” Steinar Madsen, medical director of the Norwegian Medicines Agency (NOMA), told The BMJ. “There is no certain connection between these deaths and the vaccine.”

“Norwegian authorities have prioritised the immunisation of residents in nursing homes, most of whom are very elderly with underlying medical conditions and some of whom are terminally ill. NOMA confirm the number of incidents so far is not alarming, and in line with expectations. All reported deaths will be thoroughly evaluated by NOMA to determine if these incidents are related to the vaccine. The Norwegian government will also consider adjusting their vaccination instructions to take the patients’ health into more consideration.

More than 20 000 doses of the vaccine have been administered over the past few weeks in Norway and around 400 deaths normally occur among care home residents every week.

Source: Covid-19: Norway investigates 23 deaths in frail elderly patients after vaccination

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 10:37 pm

We’ve had very few adverse reactions in the US.....I haven’t heard of any severe adverse reactions for at least the past two weeks.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I want to have the vaccine when it's my turn but I keep hearing scary things about it on Facebook that I don't know are true or not, and it's putting me off.

That's likely just people who are anti-vaccination trying to fearmonger and get people to agree with them. If you really doubt the vaccine, look for actual evidence of side effects.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 2:03 pm

As others have said, there will always be some who have adverse reactions to vaccines and meds. Happens time immemorial. This past week a Florida Doc died after having it. There may well be no direct connection to the vaccine itself, but they’re investigating. No-one can fully predict the outcome for the individual, and many within child-bearing age range are refusing to be vaccinated here in the UK. As kites mentioned, fear is often unwarranted, and yet, it’s practically sought by some. I am very much pro-vaccine, having never been immunised for anything from birth., and having caught anything going.
Article on the Floridian Doctor...
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/covid-vaccine-death.html

Reactions are idiosynchratic and can strike certain individuals without rhyme or reason, possibly based on unknown genetic traits, and there is no way to predict if someone is susceptible.

“If you vaccinate enough people, things will happen,

It’s said to be the most important thing we can do, to prevent against ill health and death pre-covid times ... I feel that now, it’s as important as it ever was.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 2:46 pm

Over here several patients died after receiving the second vaccine but following investigation it turned out that they contracted Covid before being vaccinated. The second vaccine has affected a couple of my friends quite badly, high fever, aching bones, weakness. I have my 2nd shot tomorrow. Mild cases of temporary facial paralysis have been reported. Wishing you all very good health.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 2:52 pm

I know 2 people (care workers) who had the vaccine and experienced aching and tiredness for a couple of days after, but are fine now. Maybe it's just your body building up a sort of immunity to the COVID virus?

As long as the side effects are just that and no long-term illnesses or damage, then I'm fine with it. I heard of some people getting flu symptoms after getting their annual flu vaccine.

I'm still scared about the vaccine damaging my brain, either turning me into a low-functioning autistic, or developing epilepsy or something. I don't know how fragile adult AS brains are.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 3:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We’ve had very few adverse reactions in the US.....I haven’t heard of any severe adverse reactions for at least the past two weeks.

Very few vaccines have been given out in the US. Israel has done the best job. @Teach51 is already getting her 2nd dose whereas I am the same age as she yet I am weeks at best from getting my first. The UK is better off because they already have 3 different vaccines including the Oxford vaccine which the US government refuses to approve.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 3:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I know 2 people (care workers) who had the vaccine and experienced aching and tiredness for a couple of days after, but are fine now. Maybe it's just your body building up a sort of immunity to the COVID virus?

As long as the side effects are just that and no long-term illnesses or damage, then I'm fine with it. I heard of some people getting flu symptoms after getting their annual flu vaccine.

I'm still scared about the vaccine damaging my brain, either turning me into a low-functioning autistic, or developing epilepsy or something. I don't know how fragile adult AS brains are.

@ Joe,
Yes I believe the reaction is the immune system kicking in. I can understand your concerns, time will tell how safe the vaccine is.
I'll report in a few days and let you know if I mutate into Batwoman or something weird.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 2:45 pm

Hey, I had a biology lesson today and talked with my teacher about it. They said that it's as safe as other vaccines when it comes to side effects, some people might get side effects due to compromised immune system, and they wouldn't want to make a bad vaccine. They also said that they knew a lot of anti-vax misinformation is going on at the moment. Hope that helps.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 4:23 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Hey, I had a biology lesson today and talked with my teacher about it. They said that it's as safe as other vaccines when it comes to side effects, some people might get side effects due to compromised immune system, and they wouldn't want to make a bad vaccine. They also said that they knew a lot of anti-vax misinformation is going on at the moment. Hope that helps.

That does make me feel better.

Someone on Facebook has announced that they are due to have the vaccine next week, and some people commented frightening things like "it's research, not a vaccine" and "why put poison into your body?" and "people are dying from the vaccine all over the world."

And then they wonder why people are reluctant to have the vaccine. Did they have all this scaremongering during WW2?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 4:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Did they have all this scaremongering during WW2?

During WW2 there was more than enough to be scared of. No need to make anything up.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 2:14 pm

If you're more afraid of Covid than the vaccine, have the vaccine.
If you're more afraid of the vaccine than Covid, don't volunteer straight away, you won't be under pressure whilst there are people considered to be at more or as much risk.
If you're not afraid of Covid then don't bother yourself with it.