Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 3:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:
Hey, I had a biology lesson today and talked with my teacher about it. They said that it's as safe as other vaccines when it comes to side effects, some people might get side effects due to compromised immune system, and they wouldn't want to make a bad vaccine. They also said that they knew a lot of anti-vax misinformation is going on at the moment. Hope that helps.

That does make me feel better.

Someone on Facebook has announced that they are due to have the vaccine next week, and some people commented frightening things like "it's research, not a vaccine" and "why put poison into your body?" and "people are dying from the vaccine all over the world."

And then they wonder why people are reluctant to have the vaccine. Did they have all this scaremongering during WW2?

Glad I could help.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 3:18 pm

There's very few severe side effects within all vaccines being given at this point.

Anaphylaxis (almost always treatable and cureable through epinephrine) occurs in approximately 1 out of 100,000 vaccine recipients.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 3:44 pm

Had my second vaccine.My arm hurt quite severely for 24 hours, no fever, joints ached, not so bad. Research in Tel Ha Shomer (Sheba) Hospital finds that antibodies elevate to 98% immunity 7days after the second shot. They are anticipating more mutations but so far Pfizer is effective for the British and South African mutations. The British mutation is so highly infectious, it has become the dominant strain, that we are extending our lock down for another 10 days. 10,000 new daily infections in a population of 8 million.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 3:57 pm

Congrats on the second dose!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 4:55 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Had my second vaccine.My arm hurt quite severely for 24 hours, no fever, joints ached, not so bad. Research in Tel Ha Shomer (Sheba) Hospital finds that antibodies elevate to 98% immunity 7days after the second shot. They are anticipating more mutations but so far Pfizer is effective for the British and South African mutations. The British mutation is so highly infectious, it has become the dominant strain, that we are extending our lock down for another 10 days. 10,000 new daily infections in a population of 8 million.

Isn't the UK population about 66 million?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 5:13 pm

If you're in your late twenties, and are reluctant to take the vaccine, in fact flat out refuse to play around with a experimental less than a year worth of preliminary trial data vaccine, does that mean you might be afflicted with mild paranoid peronality disorder or is that a fair risk assessment calculation, given the 1% chance of you dying from it. My body, my choice right?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 5:30 pm

Teach51 wrote:
I should have taken that job in Tel Aviv when I had the chance. :( It may be another month or more before I get my vaccination, and I am 63 years old with two recent heart attacks!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 12:10 am

Teach is from Israel.

The UK population is about 68 million.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2021, 1:19 am

Although I'm a bit dubious of the vaccine, I'm not so concerned about it that I would tell anyone not to have it. I say, if you think you are at risk of Covid, then it's probably worth having the vaccine.

The important thing to do, is to not take seriously anything you read on Facebook. As far as I can tell, Facebook is where people spread crap.

Unfortunately, finding good information can be difficult. The 'mainstream media' have mostly been 'pro-lockdown' and tend to portray the virus as worse than it actually is, while not mentioning the repercussions of the lockdown for everyone else. In contrast, a lot of the 'alternative media' tend to be very anti-vaccine and full of conspiracy theories. My conclusion is that you cannot take anything you read too seriously.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I should have taken that job in Tel Aviv when I had the chance. :( It may be another month or more before I get my vaccination, and I am 63 years old with two recent heart attacks!

I really hope that vaccines will be widely available soon worldwide. The concensus over here though is that the emergence of a vaccine resistant mutation of the virus is inevitable and just a matter of time. A new development: Pregnant women are being encouraged to be vaccinated, 8 pregnant women in their thirties are critically ill with Covid, one had a CSection in her second trimester but unfortunately the baby died.
Israel has agreed to exchange medical records with Pfizer, we have been told anonymously but who knows, we are an ideal demographic for research regarding adverse reactions and statistics of the vaccine and have sophisticated technology and an excellent public health system to create a reliable data base. This will I hope help other countries to be more knowledgable regarding the pros and cons of the vaccination. There are sectors/ ethnicities here which are refusing vaccination and this will ultimately defeat the whole effort to achieve herd immunity.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jan 2021, 3:45 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

I really hope that vaccines will be widely available soon worldwide. The concensus over here though is that the emergence of a vaccine resistant mutation of the virus is inevitable and just a matter of time. A new development: Pregnant women are being encouraged to be vaccinated, 8 pregnant women in their thirties are critically ill with Covid, one had a CSection in her second trimester but unfortunately the baby died.
Israel has agreed to exchange medical records with Pfizer, we have been told anonymously but who knows, we are an ideal demographic for research regarding adverse reactions and statistics of the vaccine and have sophisticated technology and an excellent public health system to create a reliable data base. This will I hope help other countries to be more knowledgable regarding the pros and cons of the vaccination. There are sectors/ ethnicities here which are refusing vaccination and this will ultimately defeat the whole effort to achieve herd immunity.

Good news!
Here, I don't believe we would ever achieve herd immunity. Getting the high-risk and high-risk-of-spreading (medical staff, teachers, police, retail...) groups is I think the most we can hope for with the mess of logistics we have here.
So, while I'm not against getting the shot myself, I calmly sit and wait - a mostly-physically-healthy 35yo with a lifestyle of a hermit is not worth being put before others ;)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 4:10 am

theprisoner wrote:
If you're in your late twenties, and are reluctant to take the vaccine, in fact flat out refuse to play around with a experimental less than a year worth of preliminary trial data vaccine, does that mean you might be afflicted with mild paranoid peronality disorder or is that a fair risk assessment calculation, given the 1% chance of you dying from it. My body, my choice right?

I'd start by checking that 1% figure.

There's a lot of people confusing deaths as a % of total population with deaths as a % of infections. Also bear in mind as the most vulnerable have been shielding, the second figure is being held artificially low.

Then maybe have a think about the shape the infection rate to death rate curve will take if the hospitals get overwhelmed.

Also ponder the degree to which existing know-how has been adapted for the new vaccines. They haven't been created from the ground up, so most of the approvals were already in place. If development in under a year is such a red flag, why is no-one screaming about the flu vaccines which are always developed in under a year?

To my mind we really need to gain control of the situation quickly, before even more serious mutations occur. Any risk from the vaccines seems insignificant in comparison.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 9:54 am

magz wrote:
Here, I don't believe we would ever achieve herd immunity. Getting the high-risk and high-risk-of-spreading (medical staff, teachers, police, retail...) groups is I think the most we can hope for with the mess of logistics we have here.
So, while I'm not against getting the shot myself, I calmly sit and wait - a mostly-physically-healthy 35yo with a lifestyle of a hermit is not worth being put before others ;)

Most pandemics eventually come to an end [generally before everyone in the world dies]. One of the factors that brings it to an end is called herd immunity. Herd immunity is related to the sum of those that were vaccinated combined with those who were infected and survived. In Los Angeles at the moment, I read that approximately one in three individuals living in the city have been infected.

California as a large state but is lagging behind in distributing the vaccines. They are currently at 0.52%. So as a rough approximation, Los Angeles has around a 34% herd immunity. I suspect that actual herd immunity is a little bit higher because COVID-19 is not the first coronavirus humans have encountered. Those that were exposed to SARS and perhaps other coronaviruses may have developed some additional resistance.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jan 2021, 11:00 am

jimmy m wrote:
magz wrote:

Most pandemics eventually come to an end [generally before everyone in the world dies]. One of the factors that brings it to an end is called herd immunity. Herd immunity is related to the sum of those that were vaccinated combined with those who were infected and survived. In Los Angeles at the moment, I read that approximately one in three individuals living in the city have been infected.

California as a large state but is lagging behind in distributing the vaccines. They are currently at 0.52%. So as a rough approximation, Los Angeles has around a 34% herd immunity. I suspect that actual herd immunity is a little bit higher because COVID-19 is not the first coronavirus humans have encountered. Those that were exposed to SARS and perhaps other coronaviruses may have developed some additional resistance.

The open question is: how long the immunity lasts?
There is no herd immunity against common cold because post-infection immunity for common cold lasts only a few weeks or months. However, next infections tend to be milder.
Covid19 certainly won't kill the whole population. The vast majority of infections are mild and re-infections are likely to be even milder. If nothing else, covid is likely to ultimately end up joining the common cold and flu crowd.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 12:08 pm

I don't know about it becoming like the flu or a cold in the future. The long term neurological complications such as chronic fatigue, loss of cognitive capacity, loss of sense of taste and smell are common. We have rehab units for recovered Covid patients, they don't cover that much on the news, but people don't always return to their pre- Covid health status. That is very different from the flu virus.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jan 2021, 12:23 pm

I meant Covid joining the crowd of circulating viruses, people building enough immunity for it to usually have mild forms but never aquiring crowd immunity.