If I can have my reading back I'll be grateful forever

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 11:51 am

Ever since I suffered a terrible injury and near death experience from a brutal traumatic beating, I have lost my mind literally and myself in a myriad of ways, but the worst thing I've suffered throughout all of this is losing my giftedness, intelligence and ability to properly read and think as sharply and fluidly as I used to. I haven't finished more than 3 books all year, I've plateaued intellectually and have had my learning capped at my pre-injury levels, as in almost all the learning and knowledge acquired was from before my injury and thus my intellectual growth stunted massively, and goals and ambitions I once had feel so far off it feels like life has lost all meaning.

I don't believe in a God, for how could I believe in a tyrant that destroys the lives of billions for cruel sadistic torture, but in my desperation to get better and be able to read again normally I have been on my knees every day praying and begging for help, begging to have my abilities restored, begging for everything I worked my life strenuously to achieve, all without any relent. I have asked doctors for help and no luck, tried retraining my brain to read properly with barely any progress, and have recharged my diet to take every possible supplement and vitamin to help to no avail, and now all I'm left with is prayer.

In my heart of hearts if God can grant me my abilities back I promise to become a believer for the rest of my life and never ever forsake the Truth. If I regain my ability to learn, read and succeed academically, mentally and spiritually I will be grateful in ways I can't express.

Master Oogway

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

My daughter has had combination of autism and TBI. This is a very serious issue. It's a very slow course, but she has had some improvement in reading by starting with simple children's books. You need to advocate for yourself for additional therapy for the loss of reading/learning ability. I don't know if this would be classed as occupational therapy, or what - it's neuropsychological rehabilitation really, but I don't know how that translates into services. Doctors do doctoring well, like assessing and prescribing meds and such, but you're going to have to really strongly advocate for yourself. Try getting a referral to neurology and then explain to them what you are struggling with.

Most likely, you will learn new ways to use your brain, including possibly some work-arounds. But don't give up! That's the important thing. Good luck.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm

I was also going to suggest OT and neuropsych. I had an Acquired Brain Injury from my stroke in 2015. I had difficulty reading because of diplopia (double vision) but also cognitive deficits and mental brain drain. I worked with OT but also Speech-Language Pathology. I was amazed how much SLP providers cover in their work. They worked on receptive language (reading / listening / critical thinking), expressive language (speaking / writing), and also executive function (putting ideas into sequence, making priorities, identifying key ideas). I would recommend that you reach out to your Neurologist who treated the injury, and ask about support services pertinent to your deficits. They should be able to test you and see exactly which impairments are causing your difficulty.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 11:15 pm

salad wrote:
In my heart of hearts if God can grant me my abilities back ...

If that were to happen what would be the specific thing which confirms to you that it was God doing that?
:?:
Personally, I think it would be quite a thing if you were to get a Bible and make a deliberate effort to read it and your reading and understanding and analyzing abilities came back while you were reading it but went away when you tried to read anything else and came back again when you went to read it again.
And that cycle continued.
But, that's just my thinking, God will do his own thing his own way.

EDIT: But if this were to be a thing & you were to do that, I would say,
read the first chapter of John then read the first chapter of Proverbs, then continue that cycle with chapter 2 and the following chapters of each.

That could be an actual thing or I could have an overactive imagination, I suppose time will tell.