How can I be very happy during a crisis ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:45 am

I do struggle to not to overthink during this time especially when the virus is still out there, I have been trying to pre-occupy my mind on doing other things such as writing, reading, watching a funny video, get as much fresh air and sunlight and some exercise everyday (I have been doing press-ups and weight lifting) etc but there seems to always be something there in my brain telling me ''What if this happens ?, What if that happens ?, The news is talking about new variants'' etc and catastrophising and I am finding it very different to rid myself of these thoughts because I feel like fear is quite justified as the disease is still quite deadly to some people and that it picks on random people and gives them different symptoms and its scary when I hear of stories of people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s who were healthy and had no underlying conditions being hospitalised and worse. I seem to think those age groups are suffering more than 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 year olds. I can't understand why it picks on people differently, I mean I've heard the story of Kate Garraway's husband Derek who was 53 being very ill and in a coma for a year whereas my dad who is 59 got it and was bed-ridden between Christmas and New Year and didn't go to hospital and recovered after a week. I do remember on a self-help video that overthinking just weakens your immune system and yet I am trying to eat as many fruit and veg everyday but the battle with my thoughts keeps waging and I am struggling to stop it.

Last edited by chris1989 on 13 May 2021, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:10 am

chris1989 wrote:
fresh air and sunlight and some exercise everyday (I have been doing press-ups and weight lifting) etc

I don't know how hard your workouts are, but resistance training everyday is not good, it increases your protein turnover, if your workouts are even moderately hard it means you need to eat ungodly amounts of protein just to maintain.

I do a short HIIT workout daily and lift twice a week.

I don't give two s**ts about appearance or strength, it's optimal for my mental health.

Quote:
I am trying to eat as many fruit and veg.

I would suggest eating less sugary fruits and make sure to eat more protein of different varieties.

Meditation and just straight up filtering information works wonders for me. Meditation improved my ability to stop stressing about things I have no control over and to act on things when I actually can do something.

I pretty much stopped reading news from news agencies and read only important actionable announcements and press releases from government agencies and organizations.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:17 am

The reason COVID is now attacking young people----is because more older people are vaccinated.

At least you're trying to get fresh air and doing things to try to entertain yourself. That's good.

All you can do is continue to do these things; there's no use not doing these things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:51 am

Even in the worst of times, I don't feel it's morally wrong to seek to make one's self happy----as long as it's not at the expense of other people.