I don't want to be on the horrible autism spectrum any more

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2021, 5:58 pm

There might be some truth in associating mass shooting with autism. My reasoning is as follows:

It's obvious that humans are natural murderers, perfect killing machines. NTs are better at being social, so they prefer to go for genocides instead, since these tend to be more profitable and easier to get away with. USA, Australia, NZ, basically almost every colonial nation shows how profitable this can be. Not fool proof of course, but nothing is.

Aspies on the other hand tend to be not as good at being social, they can't do genocides as easily. So mass shooter route is the only realistic way they can fulfill their human desire for murder?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 7:45 pm

I just already feel insecure and resentful about being on the spectrum, so when news like this comes up it just makes me feel even more insecure and resentful.
But no matter how angry I get I still wouldn't hurt a fly (literally!), so don't go thinking I am capable of murder because of my insecurities.

I don't think all humans have it in us to murder. Maybe physically, but most humans intuitively can't murder. Sometimes I think my pets are so cute that I get an urge to squeeze them to death, but something in my brain subconsciously stops me from doing it. Or if I really hate someone, something in my brain subconsciously stops me from harming or killing them. It is quite normal for humans to imagine hurting someone they really hate but a sane, healthy mind will subconsciously stop you from acting out any of these harmful crimes.

Anyway, back to the topic, I just feel so angry and upset and even saddened that people with autism can commit such awful crimes. It will increase the stigma with autism. It always does. There could be 100 NT murderers in a room, and 10 autistic murderers, and the stigma will still be on autism and not NTs.
Neurotypical brain wiring is the average/standard/majority in humans, so it doesn't matter how many NTs have murdered since humanity began, the NT population will not be stigmatized. Only non-NTs (mostly autistics) like to stigmatize NTs.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It is quite normal for humans to imagine hurting someone they really hate but a sane, healthy mind will subconsciously stop you from acting out any of these harmful crimes.

Umm, you sure it's not fear of consequences that stops humans from doing that? There is a good reason why it's illegal to kill someone. Kind of hard to have functioning civilization when humans are busy raping and murdering each other.

What happens when killing of particular group becomes legal and "socially desirable"? Here is a good example.

So guess you are right, aspies will be stigmatized. Massacres like my above example are normal human thing, very easy to instigate if law doesn't have safeguards against it. But "lone gunman" is not really normal, humans rarely go alone against society. And since aspies are stereotyped to go against society... :3

It's funny, since that "against society" stereotype seems to be false, aspies look like one of the most conservative crowd there is, including usual white power stuff, sexism, racism, incelism, even ableism...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 1:41 am

Quote:
Umm, you sure it's not fear of consequences that stops humans from doing that? There is a good reason why it's illegal to kill someone. Kind of hard to have functioning civilization when humans are busy raping and murdering each other.

Fear of consequences may play a part in it, but a lot of people still wouldn't murder even if they could get away with it, for the sake of other people's wellbeing. Like with the pets example. I could kill my pets and no-one would know. But subconsciously I just can't do it. I could never do such a thing.
I think we all have a fear of consequences when it comes to violence. For example if a screaming baby is making me feel annoyed and anxious in a store, I have to restrain myself from kicking its stroller or yelling at the parents to take it away or whatever. But I subconsciously could never hurt or kill the baby, even if I knew I could get away with it. It's called empathy.

I'm glad someone in this thread admits that autistic guys are more likely to go on these shooting rampages, usually if they have a special interest in guns and killing. So, if any Aspie guys here have an obsession with guns and hate the general population, get help now. Before things get out of hand.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 1:44 am

Iv become afraid of autistic men now too,sorry to say

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 8:00 am

An autistic man, I strongly believe, is less prone to committing violence against somebody than a non-autistic man.

If I encountered a group of autistic men hanging out in the street, I would have no fear. NT men hanging out in the street: it depends on the nature of the group.

The people who are doing the mass murdering don't have autism as their primary condition. Other conditions (most of them psychiatric) are much more prominent.

I'd rather be on the Autistic Spectrum than be, say, on the Bipolar Spectrum.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 8:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'd rather be on the Autistic Spectrum than be, say, on the Bipolar Spectrum.
I'm on both. :(

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2021, 9:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Autism doesn't = Murderer ..

no different than saying if you are a woman you have blonde hair , and if you are a man you have black hair .

everything is individual basis .

These people that go on shooting or knife rampages seem to be autistic. It always seems to be the same story; some young man has an obsession with guns or serial killers, shoots their mother, shoots random innocent people, then finally shoots themselves. Then it's all in the news and the word autism gets mentioned. It's happening too regularly now, enough to make the public become afraid of autistic people. I don't think any autistic women have murdered anyone like this. I suppose they'll start soon. :roll:

don't bank on it . what you might find is , it's harder to sway Autistic people out of set patterns or ways of thinking . so once crosding a threshold it's harder to withdraw from an idea.

could be symptom of frustration over actually having Autism . and as stated by others .. comorbidity could play a large factor

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:52 am

It should be emphasized that the vast majority of people who are Bipolar are not, potentially, dangerous murderers, either.

I stated the view that I'd rather be autistic than Bipolar----because Bipolar folks tend to suffer considerably, not because I find them to be especially violent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

The "ability" to murder someone lies way beyond autism.

It's a severe pathology in a civilized society outside of a war.

I have NO interest in guns-----but even if somebody has an interest in weaponry, it's really stretching it to suggest that a person with that sort of interest will, inevitably, also be interested in murdering someone.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I stated the view that I'd rather be autistic than Bipolar----because Bipolar folks tend to suffer considerably, not because I find them to be especially violent.
oh, I didn't take offense. I just wanted to point out that I had two strikes against me. :)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 5:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
These people that go on shooting or knife rampages seem to be autistic.

The gunman who shot Gabby Gifford and several others at a shopping mall was schizophrenic, and so was the guy who shot up a Colorado movie theater showing that Batman movie.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:18 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
These people that go on shooting or knife rampages seem to be autistic.

The gunman who shot Gabby Gifford and several others at a shopping mall was schizophrenic, and so was the guy who shot up a Colorado movie theater showing that Batman movie.

Well schizophrenics have the same stigma autistics have.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:41 pm

I don't believe being autistic being on the autism spectrum automatically gives you murderous tendencies. I believe just being a human gives you murderous tendencies. Most humans are able to suppress their murderous tendencies, mostly only because they were taught to, but humans are scumbags that are naturally violent, selfish and destructive, and I don't want to be on the horrible human spectrum anymore. Except that being a human isn't a spectrum, you either are human or you're a non-human species, and I can't *not* be a human, and even if I could that would just make humans hate me even more. So I'm doomed to be, until the day I die, part of a species that hates anyone who is even remotely different from them, treats them like garbage for things they can't help being, and blame all of their problems on such people. And thinks it's perfectly okay to do things like use electric shocks or even murder US because we're autistic, but would be horrified if it was done to someone in a wheelchair or had some other disability that they've been taught is slightly more socially acceptable.

Also people with schizophrenia are still very heavily stigmatized and it's still common for uneducated human buffoons to think they're all murderous and ready to murder and kill because "the voices told them to", or they still think, wrongly, that people with schizophrenia gives you multiple personalities.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:56 pm

Most serial killers also turn out to be male and American, so I guess being an American male causes psychopathic behavior as well? I did hear not long ago there are at least a couple of thousand serial killers just walking around freely in the good ol' USA right now.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2021, 7:16 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
So I'm doomed to be, until the day I die

Why not stop associating yourself with humans? Why care about concept of species, which can be quite vague in the first place:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_concept

I found it made life more pleasant whenever I disassociate myself from things that I find gross, humans included. It also confuses humans, which is funny. Free yourself, stop being a human! :3