Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

I know back during the cold war people lived with the fear of nuclear bombs. I guess I thought that was over, that my generation's 'big fear' would be the climate catastrophe. But it turns out we get that plus nuclear war as a sudden-death bonus. Thanks Putin.

I don't spend much time thinking about it consciously, but I've had three dreams now that have featured nuclear bombs being detonated.

They're not particularly gruesome dreams. I've not been near the explosion. There's just a massive white light in the sky and I'm aware that London or somewhere nearish has been nuked and I need to get to my family and get safe before the radioactive fallout comes.

Anyone else dreaming of nuclear war?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 3:11 pm

Interesting.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm

I was crapping myself when the Ukraine war started as it looked like Putin might go a bit mad. Now I'm not bothered tbh. Putin knows using nukes would backfire on him.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:41 pm

I had dreams like that a few years ago. At one point I even considered digging a hiding hole under the house (no basement).

A physics professor who is a friend of the family said if you survive the initial blast it's important to stay in hiding for the first 2 days of fallout, and he said basements of a house are good enough, it's not so bad afterward... Beyond that he said he's got a planned escape route to Mexico.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:45 pm

But does Putin actually care. Think he is all about making a mark in history . But really do hope I am wrong.
Wish he would get hospitalized in Russia , not sure if many Russian politicians survive that . :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:56 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I had dreams like that a few years ago. At one point I even considered digging a hiding hole under the house (no basement).

A physics professor who is a friend of the family said if you survive the initial blast it's important to stay in hiding for the first 2 days of fallout, and he said basements of a house are good enough, it's not so bad afterward... Beyond that he said he's got a planned escape route to Mexico.

It is always good to have a plan. The initial blast is the worst part. Survive that and one has a chance. Did you know that the two dropped on the Japanese cities... One kid was at the centre of the blast and was thrown inbetween two low walls and the blast went over him so he was ok. He survived into his 90's. He was saying that the main longer lasting issues were birth defects caused from the initial shock of the blast when babies are growing in the womb of mothers (Which also takes place if any explosive weapon on a large scale and pregnant mothers are in the midst of it), and of course if one is caught in the middle of a blast which ones survival chances would be slim.

I have walked through a radioactive cloud after Chinobyl. Had to as were told we had to go to school even though we were all told to "Stay indoors". Had to walk home between the bus drop off point and the house. Cloud was being followed by seven UN seaking helicopters. Five in front and two behind the cloud, and the cloud was yellow as it had these yellow dust-like things floating in it. I had to breathe as no way could I make the house without breathing as had tried to hold my breath. Felt unwell for a couple of weeks (Still had to go to school. No doctors help. Government withdrew all kelp tablets from the pharmacy shelves "Incase the military needed it" as someone on the news mentioned getting kelp. Kelp was banned. Not sure why?)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:04 pm

Kelp has iodine in it.Lots of seaweed does.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Kelp has iodine in it.Lots of seaweed does.

Yes. Iodine. Was mentioned before. Does something?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:09 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have walked through a radioactive cloud after Chinobyl.

Yeah, I know the radioactive clouds were blown to the west outside of USSR. Where was this?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:15 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Yeah, I know the radioactive clouds were blown to the west outside of USSR. Where was this?

Live on the top of a low mountain in Wales. Heard about ten years ago that Welsh sheep farmers were still recieving payments and were not allowed to sell their sheep, and that was some 25 years after Chynobyl happened. Very selective. One farm has payments and does well. Farm next door to first farm has no payments and has no ban and meat goes into the food chain even today. No consistency in some areas of Wales which indicates that nuclear is not an issue as if it was, all farmers in those areas would have payments and not be growing sheep or cattle for meat or dairy.
They officially denied the cloud came to where we were. When asked why they dyed it they said it was pollen from the trees. When asked why thw United Nations sent seven helicopters to follow a cloud of pollen they had no answer.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 25 Oct 2022, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:21 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Live on the top of a low mountain in Wales. Heard about ten years ago that Welsh sheep farmers were still recieving payments and were not allowed to sell their sheep, and that was some 25 years after Chynobyl happened. Very selective. One farm has payments and does well. Farm next door to first farm has no payments and has no ban and meat goes into the food chain even today. No consistency in some areas of Wales which indicates that nuclear is not an issue as if it was, all farmers in those areas would have payments and not be growing sheep or cattle for meat or dairy.

Wow, that's very far from Chernobyl.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 25 Oct 2022, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:26 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Wow, that's very far from Chernobyl.

Yes. But UK is not that far from places like Holland etc. France is only 21 miles away across the sea.

Was told van drivers could drive from Wales to Germany and back twice in 48 hours as some did 48 hour shifts to do that. (Van drivers do not have to carry tacographs like lorry drivers do so companies took advantage).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:28 pm

So my understanding is that Chernobyl is more like a dirty bomb and the stuff in the cloud are particles of unreacted fission fuel (fuel blown out by steam pressure out of the reactor and carried up with smoke from the fire), and are pretty large, meaning they will remain radioactive for quite a long time regardless of the half life.

Modern fusion weapons (I don't believe anyone kept any fission weapons) don't really leave behind fuel particles as they tend to fully react, leaving behind only small product particles that quickly break down, so there's much less lingering fallout. That's how I understand it anyway.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:47 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
So my understanding is that Chernobyl is more like a dirty bomb and the stuff in the cloud are particles of unreacted fission fuel, and are pretty large, meaning they will remain radioactive for quite a long time regardless of the half life.

Modern fusion weapons (I don't believe anyone kept any fission weapons) don't really leave behind fuel particles as they tend to fully react, leaving behind only small product particles that quickly break down, so there's much less lingering fallout. That's how I understand it anyway.

I heard that the nuclear industry workers used to bathe in the cooling pools and the man saying this was interviewed 30 years later and he had bathed in them.
He said they were puzzled when several years later they were told they had to wear bio-hazard suits and were not allowed to bathe etc.

I do not know if this is true or not but he seemed very sincere and had no reason to hide this. He said radiation is heat. (Actually remember this from physics lessons).

All I do know is that I survived walking through that cloud and it was not the only event we saw a cloud like that as a few years later we had another cloud that no one anywhere knows what the event that caused it was, but the ground, cars, house roof etc were all covered with the yellow particles which are a bit like very light silly-string-like bits that float in the air that are yellow which were "Supposed" to be radioactive.
Around the late 1990's or early 2000's a man we knew used to go out early on the local beach near here and his hobby was metal detecting. When he went one early morning, he saw people metal detecting so as he was a chatty guy who was keen to share his interests, he went out to meet them. They had geiger counters and were checking the beach. The beach is one of Europes top ten beaches (I think fifth in the list of top beaches?)
The people were from the weapons testing area nearby on the other beach but the end of this beach is classed as a similar area and has a target range for military planes to practice on. Also an unofficial neudist area inbetween the military danger area and the public area and have cycled near there and seen them on chilly days turning purple! Haha! Silly men! Don't mind people down there if they want to strip as beach is 9 miles long and only the last mile or so is danger area, but they need to do it in the sunshine so they don't freeze! Haha! We only cycled down that far on the hard sand out of curiosity when I was younger.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

Hmmm…. My friend living in Japan , in good health, ended up withy kidney cancer 2yrs after Fukushima,He lived 200 miles south of that reactor. ………?coincidence? :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
All I do know is that I survived walking through that cloud

That cloud was very bad because you were breathing in particles that have stuck to the inside of your body and are breaking down there, irradiating you from the inside and causing tissue damage.