Spectrum friendly regions

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2022, 8:08 am

Do you think there are some cities or locations that are more friendly to those on the spectrum than others or is it pretty much the same wherever you go?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:21 am

In Worcester, UK there is a house used as a meeting space for aspies called...aspie

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 9:54 am

Sailon wrote:
Do you think there are some cities or locations that are more friendly to those on the spectrum than others or is it pretty much the same wherever you go?

Austin, Texas.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:02 am

South Wales valleys. It's such a crude place nobody seems to care all that much about being a little weird.

A warning though .....everyone will probably mention their home towns.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:04 am

klanka wrote:
In Worcester, UK there is a house used as a meeting space for aspies called...aspie

A fellow South Wales dweller I see. What has been your experience of South Wales?

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:07 am

I have lived two places in the USA that were much more spectrum friendly. They were both areas around a major university. Both had MANY graduate students from around the world, and in both the majority demographic was a different race than mine (which is white). There was no expectation of homogenous behavior there. You don't stand out for being different in a place that's already so diverse. If you're at all "nerdy," a graduate student crowd offers lots of potential friendships, too.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:08 am

Carpeta wrote:
I have lived two places in the USA that were much more spectrum friendly. They were both areas around a major university. Both had MANY graduate students from around the world, and in both the majority demographic was a different race than mine (which is white). There was no expectation of homogenous behavior there. You don't stand out for being different in a place that's already so diverse. If you're at all "nerdy," a graduate student crowd offers lots of potential friendships, too.

One of the most interesting and straight to the point posts I've read in a while.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:12 am

I think it depends a little from what one counts as "spectrum friendly." Based on my experience, places in the countryside tend to be better when it comes to severe sensory issues, unless you can't handle the smells of animal waste spread out on the fields, but when it comes to social issues, cities are better due to the anonymity one can get in them and people minding their own business. Plus, the chance of finding other like minded people is higher than in the countryside simply due to there being more people in the first place.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:17 am

Nades wrote:
klanka wrote:

A fellow South Wales dweller I see. What has been your experience of South Wales?

Maybe a tiny bit friendlier than England but mostly similar.

I grew up in England and moved here 2 years ago-ish.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:24 am

klanka wrote:
Nades wrote:
klanka wrote:

Maybe a tiny bit friendlier than England but mostly similar.

I grew up in England and moved here 2 years ago-ish.

Interesting. Can I PM you?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 10:27 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I think it depends a little from what one counts as "spectrum friendly." Based on my experience, places in the countryside tend to be better when it comes to severe sensory issues, unless you can't handle the smells of animal waste spread out on the fields,

Living in the woods might be better than living on a farm, in the latter case -- if one wants to live in a rural area for sensory reasons.

Fireblossom wrote:
but when it comes to social issues, cities are better due to the anonymity one can get in them and people minding their own business. Plus, the chance of finding other like minded people is higher than in the countryside simply due to there being more people in the first place.

Agreed. Also, if one wants to live in a city for social reasons, I strongly recommend living in a highly multicultural neighborhood, with immigrants from all over the world and no one dominant ethnic group. That's a good way to minimize social conformist pressures -- and perhaps also find a partner if you have difficulty finding one within your own culture.