My health further down the line!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 6:53 pm

At the moment I go out twice a week Friday and Saturday. What really frightens me is that when I start drinking beer I get a buzz which causes me to crave more alcohol leading to a vicious cycle.

I am really concerned how drinking to many beers or shots will effect my health down the line because the last thing I want to get is cancer or problems with kidneys etc….

Do you think there’s a good chance I will get medical problems at some stage?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:04 pm

Quote:
ELLIE•VATED
This is a very personal story and near and dear to me.
I haven't drank a drop of alcohol since June 1st, 2007.
15 years ago, at 15 years old, I decided to never drink again. Here's why.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:14 pm

Well I have been drinking alcohol since 2007.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

If you stop now, there’s a better chance you won’t have health problems.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don’t know about that. I fear the damage to my body has already been done.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:28 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Ahh yes, that old thing when the city street department says, "The road already has potholes, it will always get more, therefore there is no point in filling the existing potholes."

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:33 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Ahh yes, that old thing when the city street department says, "The road already has potholes, it will always get more, therefore there is no point in filling the existing potholes."

The lady in the YouTube video was sensible she quite drinking only after a few months. For me drinking has been an issue for 15 years.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:45 pm

Jamesy wrote:
At the moment I go out twice a week Friday and Saturday. What really frightens me is that when I start drinking beer I get a buzz which causes me to crave more alcohol leading to a vicious cycle.

I am really concerned how drinking to many beers or shots will effect my health down the line because the last thing I want to get is cancer or problems with kidneys etc….

You might if you don't change up your routine. I am not saying you should never drink again but you should put a limit on it. Your age says 32, so that means you are the same age as me and I have noticed I cannot drink like I did in my 20's without worse hang overs and just feeling like crap...so I have to limit my drinking more nowdays.

Also, do you go out for walks? because also beer can have a lot of calories so it can help a bit to make sure and get some exercise, like even going for a walk outside is better than nothing. And also I don't know how your diet is but incorporating some healthier eating can help as well. But also less drinking is not a bad thing....you're not 20 you don't have to prove how strong your gut is it is ok if you can't handle as much liquor as you used to. But yeah i'd say try to limit your drinking more and find some activities you can enjoy without drinking.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

You might if you don't change up your routine. I am not saying you should never drink again but you should put a limit on it. Your age says 32, so that means you are the same age as me and I have noticed I cannot drink like I did in my 20's without worse hang overs and just feeling like crap...so I have to limit my drinking more nowdays.

Also, do you go out for walks? because also beer can have a lot of calories so it can help a bit to make sure and get some exercise, like even going for a walk outside is better than nothing. And also I don't know how your diet is but incorporating some healthier eating can help as well. But also less drinking is not a bad thing....you're not 20 you don't have to prove how strong your gut is it is ok if you can't handle as much liquor as you used to. But yeah i'd say try to limit your drinking more and find some activities you can enjoy without drinking.

Thanks for advice sweetleaf. I mainly drink a beer called bud light which in the UK is 3.5 percent alcohol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Realistically you may have caused some damage, but it is never too late to start a healthier lifestyle. Like I used to smoke cigarettes and haven't had one in a year I am not totally over the nicotine addiction so I do vape, but that is better than smoking...though ideally I will also quit vaping someday. It is possible my lungs have some damage from the years of smoking but doesn't mean I should just throw in the towel and take up cigarettes again.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 8:02 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Thanks for advice sweetleaf. I mainly drink a beer called bud light which in the UK is 3.5 percent alcohol.

Hmm bud light is considered a pretty weak flavored beer in the U.S, but a lot of people drink it because of that...like it is easy to drink. So idk maybe you could try having like stronger flavored beer that is harder to gulp down as fast to slow down when you are drinking. LIke an IPA(india pale ale), but not sure how common that is in the U.K though, it initially came from there but may be more popular in the U.S. But yeah IPA's have a strong hoppy flavor so kind of slows down the drinking of it.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 8:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Realistically you may have caused some damage, but it is never too late to start a healthier lifestyle. Like I used to smoke cigarettes and haven't had one in a year I am not totally over the nicotine addiction so I do vape, but that is better than smoking...though ideally I will also quit vaping someday. It is possible my lungs have some damage from the years of smoking but doesn't mean I should just throw in the towel and take up cigarettes again.

I know your not a qualified doctor but what damage could I have done? I know long term alcohol use can cause brain damage.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I know your not a qualified doctor but what damage could I have done? I know long term alcohol use can cause brain damage.

I don't know specifically, I just that too much drinking isn't good for your liver and yeah can effect your brain. But yeah I suppose I just figure some of my unhealthy habits and drinking far too much in the past probably has not been great for my body so I figure the same would be true for most people who indulge in unhealthy habits or drinking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 12:15 am

Maybe some damage. Maybe not much damage at all.

Go see a GP. Get a checkup. Make sure it’s thorough.

It’s not definite that you did too much damage to yourself. It’s probably not too late for you.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 7:56 am

I do wonder how different my life would have been if I never touched alcohol.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

You would need to drink an awful lot of Bud Light to do serious damage, that’s pretty weak for beer.The average is around 5%.When indulging you could alternate beers with a sparkling water, keeping hydrated is important and always have a bite to eat to slow down the alcohol absorbing.Alcohol flushes out the B vitamins ,so take supplements and Milk Thistle herbal supplement helps to repair the liver.