I don't know how to deal with my grandma

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2022, 5:14 pm

A month ago, my grandma fell down the stairs and she broke her femur. She had to go to the hospital and get surgery. Ever since the surgery, she has been behaving differently. She is not her usual self and still has trouble walking. My grandma doesn't sleep at night because she worries about her condition. She doesn't know how to differentiate between fact and emotion. It pisses me off. Today, my mom took her blood pressure and it was high. We explained that it was because she was worrying too much and forgetting to take her meds. We also called her out for that. Then she started to cry after that. Plus she was playing the victim. I don't have a good feeling about this because I know this is a common manipulation tactic. I wonder if she became manipulative because of the accident. I am trying to be careful around her since her outburst. I don't want to spend time with her because I'm scared she may try to manipulate me. How am I supposed to deal with her?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm

My moral support to you. What happened is very sad. I'm sorry I cannot offer any practical advice.

Was she a nice person prior to the incident/accident? Were you close to her before it? When someone's personality changes like that, it's as if they were a completely different person. It sometimes happens when an old person falls. The same happened to my grandfather's friend.

Was she a manipulator even before the incident? If you were never close to her even before the incident, then maybe you just stay away from her as much as possible.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 9:19 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2022, 9:56 pm

temp1234 wrote:
My moral support to you. What happened is very sad. I'm sorry I cannot offer any practical advice.

Was she a nice person prior to the incident/accident? Were you close to her before it? When someone's personality changes like that, it's as if they were a completely different person. It sometimes happens when an old person falls. The same happened to my grandfather's friend.

Was she a manipulator even before the incident? If you were never close to her even before the incident, then maybe you just stay away from her as much as possible.

I don't recall her manipulating me before the accident when I visited her in India last. I wasn't that close to her, but ever since the accident she has been playing the victim. Also she is staying with me and my parents at our house till November, so it's harder to stay away from her.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 7:40 am

Breaking a femur is quite a serious injury.
I can understand her feeling helpless and vulnerable.
She may be in pain and worrying if she'll be permanently disabled.
Crying in this situation wouldn't seem unreasonable.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2022, 1:14 am

She's probably crying because she's very hurt and scared.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 1:24 am

The same thing happened to my mother.

It might be manipulative….or it might not be manipulative…when she cries.

It’s certainly a very hard thing to have to go through—breaking a femur or a hip.

Your grandmother probably needs someone who will listen to her. Do give her the benefit of the doubt—but don’t let her abuse you personally.