Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:21 pm

Whether you test right now, later today, tomorrow or the day after won't change anything about when you're well enough and in the clear with a negative test result in the future.

The number of days thing is different all over the place. Here, they say 5 days from the onset of symptoms or from the test date if you don't know. But you Also have to be feeling better.

This is exactly what the BC CDC says:

"If you tested positive and are managing your illness at home you can end isolation when all 3 of these conditions are met:

1. At least 5 days have passed since your symptoms started, or from the test date if you did not have symptoms.
2. Fever has resolved without the use of fever-reducing medication, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Symptoms have improved.

Fully vaccinated means you received at least 2 doses of a 2-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g. AstraZeneca, Pfizer, or Moderna vaccine) or it has been more than 14 days since you received a single dose of a 1-dose series (e.g. Janssen/ Johnson and Johnson)."

But regardless of where you are in the world, basic common sense says if you have symptoms and feel ill, continue isolating so you don't infect others. Test again and only return to the outside world once testing negative. Pretty simple stuff - and that timeline isn't going to change if you test immediately or not until tomorrow as a test is not going to impact healing/recovery time getting passed the infectious stage.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:28 pm

That's true, GF.

The rule here is 24 hours after feeling better, which I think is total BS considering some people don't ever feel sick.

It's all such a crap-shoot because "feeling better" is subjective.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 7:45 pm

I hope you feel better soon.

Whatever it is, it sounds relatively mild :heart:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 10:16 am

I seem to be having symptoms of strep throat and gingivitis. My temperature has gone back to normal but my throat hurts to swallow and my gums around my top and bottom teeth are swollen and sore.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 10:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
I seem to be having symptoms of strep throat and gingivitis. My temperature has gone back to normal but my throat hurts to swallow and my gums around my top and bottom teeth are swollen and sore.

In my experience gargling antiseptic mouthwash helps with that. Both of those things, actually.

Like really take your time with it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 10:28 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

In my experience gargling antiseptic mouthwash helps with that. Both of those things, actually.

Like really take your time with it.

It seems the problems I've been having these last two days seems to be in my mouth. I read that both gingivitis and strep throat can cause high temperature, swollen glands and aching limbs, which I've been having. I don't understand why I have both at the same time though, as I read that one doesn't cause the other, and both conditions I've never had before.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:20 pm

Gargling salt water is a good way to help heal and clear a sore throat, too.

With the touch of a sore throat I got with covid, I gargled once or twice with mouthwash, and then maybe 3-4x with salt water and IMO it helped keep it from becoming a worse sore throat and cleared up quickly. I've done that many times in the distant past when I used to get sore throats fairly often.

Have you done a home test to see if it's covid or not?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Have you done a home test to see if it's covid or not?

Yes, I've done 2, both confirmed negative.

So strep throat and gingivitis it is then.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:

If it's any consolation, strep is usually an extremely high fever and extreme duress.
I had to brace myself for five minutes just to try a tiny swallowing motion.
I couldn't clear my throat or even open my mouth.
"Hurts to swallow" was an understatement because I couldn't swallow at all.
It was like broken glass on fire in my throat.

I'm not a doctor but if you don't have an insane fever and you aren't sobbing in pain, it sounds like it could be a throat infection or swollen glands, but not related to Strep.

I could be wrong though.

I wish you would see a doctor or test for Covid, especially since your partner is so compromised.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:44 pm

Sorry, just saw that you are negative for Covid.

That's good news!!

Another way to describe to Strep: It felt like I had a broken neck.
It was that bad.

If you do have strep, or a different throat infection, or even a dental infection, antibiotics will help.

I hope you'll be able to enjoy your trip free of pain.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 10 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

That's good news!!

It was that bad.

Whatever it is I don't know why I have it. I can't see a doctor now, as it's Saturday night and the surgery isn't open on Sundays, and it's not a life or death emergency. It's just a nuisance, that's all.

And already there seems to be something up there that doesn't want us to go on vacation. First we spent an hour and a half in the travel agents trying to get our tickets to show up or something on our phones but it wouldn't do it for some reason, even though we've paid and gone through the same booking procedure as the next customer, even the staff didn't seem to know how to get it up, something to do with a password or something, I don't even know. So we've got to go back tomorrow (the day before we're due to travel), even though I don't see what difference that will make, if they can't do it today then what makes them suddenly be able to do it tomorrow?
And now our house-sitter has fallen out with the person who we gave our key to to give to her, and we don't know the full story of that but now I don't know if we can rely on her to come and look after the place and our pets, which will be worrying me all week.
And on top of it I don't feel well (but at least it isn't covid, so that's one thing).

All both me and my boyfriend want is a stress-free week away where we can relax together and enjoy ourselves and not have to worry about anything. After all what I've been through in the last year, with my mum passing away and all that, I really don't need extra stress when I'm trying to get away from stress.

Why can't things just be simple? Why do companies do their best to make online activities as hard as humanly possible?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:06 pm

Oh no!!

I'm sorry to hear all that. :(

I hope you get the tickets sorted on Monday.

You must be super stressed. :(

Fingers crossed that everything goes OK and you get your happy holiday.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:11 pm

I’ve had strep several times as have all three of my children and it is not always severe in its presentation but the consequences may still be. Whatever it is, it sounds like a trip to the clinic would be a very good idea.
Strep can lead to scarlet fever and should never be ignored as heart damage can occur.
Hopefully you wouldn’t want to spread strep any more than you would want to spread covid. A few days of antibiotics would render strep non contagious.
If you became noticeably ill while traveling they may not let you travel back home at that point and that may lead to unexpected expenses somewhere else.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:27 pm

Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

That's good news!!

It was that bad.

Whatever it is I don't know why I have it. I can't see a doctor now, as it's Saturday night and the surgery isn't open on Sundays, and it's not a life or death emergency. It's just a nuisance, that's all.

And already there seems to be something up there that doesn't want us to go on vacation. First we spent an hour and a half in the travel agents trying to get our tickets to show up or something on our phones but it wouldn't do it for some reason, even though we've paid and gone through the same booking procedure as the next customer, even the staff didn't seem to know how to get it up, something to do with a password or something, I don't even know. So we've got to go back tomorrow (the day before we're due to travel), even though I don't see what difference that will make, if they can't do it today then what makes them suddenly be able to do it tomorrow?
And now our house-sitter has fallen out with the person who we gave our key to to give to her, and we don't know the full story of that but now I don't know if we can rely on her to come and look after the place and our pets, which will be worrying me all week.
And on top of it I don't feel well (but at least it isn't covid, so that's one thing).

All both me and my boyfriend want is a stress-free week away where we can relax together and enjoy ourselves and not have to worry about anything. After all what I've been through in the last year, with my mum passing away and all that, I really don't need extra stress when I'm trying to get away from stress.

Why can't things just be simple? Why do companies do their best to make online activities as hard as humanly possible?

It's not just the contents of this post, but your posts in general often seem to be related to stress, anxiety, worrying etc. All of these thought processes & actions create chain reactions in your body and brain that result in higher cortisol (stress hormone) levels and reduced immune system functioning.. making you more susceptible to getting sick.

Sometimes the simple act of worrying about getting sick is what actually ends up making people get sick.

Ideally, you'd figure out some methods to not be so anxious and worrisome all the time. It'll make you stronger and healthier; less susceptible to physical illness as your body will be more ready and able to fight off infections.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:51 pm

I haven't had covid or any other illnesses in a long time, to my knowledge anyway. I hope I never get sick enough to have to go to the hospital because the health care where I live is putrid. The other day I read that most of the vending machines in the local hospital are out of order. What makes people think the hospital cares about fixing people if they don't care about fixing a bunch of vending machines?

I have a doctor's appointment at the hospital this Monday. Just a checkup and get my meds refilled. Hopefully that's all I'll have to go there for.

Still, I'm amazed that my uncle was able to get laser surgery on his kidney stones at the local hospital this summer, and that there were actual surgeons competent enough to do so. At least he didn't have to pay for the surgery because Canada.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 1:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I haven't had covid or any other illnesses in a long time, to my knowledge anyway. I hope I never get sick enough to have to go to the hospital because the health care where I live is putrid. The other day I read that most of the vending machines in the local hospital are out of order. What makes people think the hospital cares about fixing people if they don't care about fixing a bunch of vending machines?

I have a doctor's appointment at the hospital this Monday. Just a checkup and get my meds refilled. Hopefully that's all I'll have to go there for.

Still, I'm amazed that my uncle was able to get laser surgery on his kidney stones at the local hospital this summer, and that there were actual surgeons competent enough to do so. At least he didn't have to pay for the surgery because Canada.

Wut? Vending machines are a very strange bar to measure hospitals and healthcare by.

What makes you think fixing vending machines should take priority over the other basic functions of a hospital like providing healthcare? :?

What makes you think that the people in the hospital have anything to do with chips & pop dispensing machines ? Chances are highly likely that they're provided by an outside contractor that's neglected them if they're not well stocked and in good working order.