Tired of being battered on social media

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 931
Location: Iowa

20 Nov 2022, 2:05 am

Roe V. Wade getting overturned led to an experience that still bothers me. On that day back in June I got shredded by a group of people in a discord group, followed by being kicked out because I said that I preferred adoption over abortion in some cases. This is pretty much what I said at the time:

Quote:
I have a more moderate opinion on the situation. I never said someone should be forced to raise a child they don’t want, just that they can put it up for adoption rather than abort. I also said that I was worried that states won’t make exceptions to their bans(rape, incest, a woman’s life in danger). I’m not right wing and I explained that to them, but they were still having none of it.

I’ve seen a lot of pro-choice memes today and in the past and I understand a lot of them. But at the same time I just don’t think it’s morally proper to choose abortion over adoptions except for the reasons I said earlier. They also made it sound like the adoption agency is terrible. That could just be their experience, Idk

Sometimes I’ll think back to that with anger. Not because of their views, but because of how they treated me.

Later that evening, I had another text conversation with a group of fellow autistic Iowans. One guy said that “it’s wiser to listen and learn rather than stating our opinions”. The issue I have with that is that it seemed like he was justifying the other groups attitude towards me(I mentioned what had happened there).

I’m willing for my views on things to evolve, but that’s harder to do when everyone’s taking it to the point of making me feel worthless.

I’ll add one more thing on that topic: every time I’ve heard people talk about their pro-choice views, it’s sounded to me like they are pro-abortion, which I know now that at least most of you pro-choice people don’t identify as that. Not blaming anyone, but I feel like I got absolutely tricked.

There’s been a few instances where I’ve posted about something on social media and people, in some cases lots of people, sided against me. In one of them, I criticized someone I delivered food to(DoorDash)and almost ALL of them said it was MY fault. A few people called me names, and another tagged a Facebook group called “OP should chase Kyle Rittenhouse with a skateboard”.

It bothers me to think those people are just fine knowing they’ve put dents into my self esteem.


_________________
Early 20s male with Asperger’s and what feels like a mood disorder


klanka
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Mar 2022
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,474
Location: Cardiff, Wales

20 Nov 2022, 6:21 am

It's best not to expound extreme beliefs online if it leads to blowback like that.

The bible says only a fool says whatever is on his mind. Im not saying you're a fool, just that it's better to keep things to yourself most of the time.



CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 931
Location: Iowa

20 Nov 2022, 8:48 am

It was ok for all the pro-choice people to state their opinions, but it wasn’t ok for me to state mine?

Idk why that opinion would be extreme. Do you know that there are actually people who think ALL abortions should be banned, even in cases of rape and incest??? And what I stated is just as bad as that?


_________________
Early 20s male with Asperger’s and what feels like a mood disorder


DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,700
Location: City of Roses

20 Nov 2022, 8:58 am

I understand how you feel because I have similar views about abortion, social media, and all these political extremists online who want to verbally attack anybody who disagrees with their ideologies no matter how civil they try be.

The far left extremists truely think they are more moral and less extreme than the righties. They fail to see the irony in their own ignorant behavior and in the fact that they really arent that different from the far right extremists.

Is it any wonder people think we Americans are headed for another civil war? :|



Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,075
Location: Everville

20 Nov 2022, 8:58 am

I just assume that I'm going to be battered because other than keeping self-funded abortion legal in the early months of pregnancy in non-life threatening instances, I'm not for any of it. I don't believe a person should die; neither the mother or the baby. And that's about the extent of it for me. All health related terminations should be approached on a case by case basis.

In my experience if a person expresses beliefs that are not along the lines of complete and total bloodshed, even up to the point of delivery, they will be attacked. As a consequence, I save those views for my personal wall. Then, I feel like I've had my unfiltered say. If anyone chooses to start something on my FB page, the gloves are off.

Sometimes I get in trouble here on WP for expressing myself in what I feel is a very tame fashion.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.


Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,075
Location: Everville

20 Nov 2022, 9:12 am

If I express my beliefs on a post that is not on my personal wall, my post gets taken down or worse case scenario I get banned for a time.

"They" consider not understanding why a woman wouldn't be willing to provide a safe environment for the baby to grow for 40 weeks and then adopted out as hostile and traumatic. Now, I'm not referring to rape, incest, or even an accidental pregnancy. I believe in allowing safe abortion for the first 8 weeks for any reason. I'm referring to the dafties who are pregnant for months before finally arriving at the conclusion that it needs to be dealt with. And then deciding abortion is the solution for an infant with a fully intact neurological system ( can feel pain ).

If you don't strip down buck neked, don your antlers and light a bonfire, while offering up the blood of an infant and chanting homage to Ba'al, you'll be battered.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.


klanka
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Mar 2022
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,474
Location: Cardiff, Wales

20 Nov 2022, 1:17 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
It was ok for all the pro-choice people to state their opinions, but it wasn’t ok for me to state mine?

Idk why that opinion would be extreme. Do you know that there are actually people who think ALL abortions should be banned, even in cases of rape and incest??? And what I stated is just as bad as that?


What they are doing is not ok, it's best just to withdraw from them cos you're feeling battered.



Last edited by klanka on 20 Nov 2022, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 86,995
Location: Queens, NYC

20 Nov 2022, 3:10 pm

This is why I don’t bother with social media.

Lots of “Internet Warriors” out there who are shrinking violets in person.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,535
Location: England

20 Nov 2022, 4:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is why I don’t bother with social media.

Lots of “Internet Warriors” out there who are shrinking violets in person.


Yes. I deleted my accounts long ago, sick and tired of being bullied for saying 'hello' or something straightforward like that. Life is much more peaceful without being attacked by strangers 24/7.

Thinking about it, in real life you don't walk down the street chatting to a friend then suddenly 1 million strangers interrupt, do you? I prefer conversations with a few friends, not millions of strangers. Who are probably trolls or bots anyway!


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


jimmyjazzuk
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 185

26 Nov 2022, 10:10 am

Some people are liberal until it comes to an opinion they don't like.



jimmyjazzuk
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 185

26 Nov 2022, 10:20 am

Most of the time its them and not you so don't read too much into it. People on the internet act like ferocious narcissists. Of course in real life the unsaid possibility of physical retaliation would see them wind their neck in.

While I don't agree with it, Im under the impression your view is not extreme or a little minority in America. So if they want to change minds they better have more tact. But they don't really, they just want to virtue signal and have an ego boost, rounding on you like wolves.

I only talk about politics online if I'm prepared for a fight, which is not often, so I rarely do.

These people have done you a favour by showing themselves up like that, you know who to steer clear of in future. Some even blocked themselves so you don't have to! :D



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,497
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Nov 2022, 11:05 am

Solution: Don't go on (anti)social-media. We all waste far too much time online, myself included.

Another option: As your friend pointed out, say less, read/listen more.


As for my take on your post.. People who are pro choice aren't necessarily pro abortion - just pro freedom of CHOICE for women to do as they see fit with their bodies & for themselves and their lives. Why should any level of government, or their husband/boyfriend, or any other individual - ie you - tell them what they can and cannot do? That's the issue of debate here and why you got roasted for your opinion. Why should a girl/woman be forced to carry a baby to term that they do not want to bring into this world for whatever their personal reason is? Why should they be forced to have their body physically changed in order to do so and then go through the excruciating pain of childbirth or a c-section because you said their baby should be put up for adoption? Why should a girl/woman have to live knowing they have adopted children out there that were either unwanted or that they were incapable of caring for? And that child existing likely knowing they were given up for adoption and wondering all the why's ?

None of this makes any sense to Me or to them or any pro choice person. Those decisions, and all other ramifications of them, are deeply personal and should be made by the individual girl/woman and her medical doctor(s), not some other person dictating to them what's going to happen to them and their body and the rest of their lives because you say so.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,535
Location: England

26 Nov 2022, 1:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Solution: Don't go on (anti)social-media. We all waste far too much time online, myself included.

Another option: As your friend pointed out, say less, read/listen more.


As for my take on your post.. People who are pro choice aren't necessarily pro abortion - just pro freedom of CHOICE for women to do as they see fit with their bodies & for themselves and their lives. Why should any level of government, or their husband/boyfriend, or any other individual - ie you - tell them what they can and cannot do? That's the issue of debate here and why you got roasted for your opinion. Why should a girl/woman be forced to carry a baby to term that they do not want to bring into this world for whatever their personal reason is? Why should they be forced to have their body physically changed in order to do so and then go through the excruciating pain of childbirth or a c-section because you said their baby should be put up for adoption? Why should a girl/woman have to live knowing they have adopted children out there that were either unwanted or that they were incapable of caring for? And that child existing likely knowing they were given up for adoption and wondering all the why's ?

None of this makes any sense to Me or to them or any pro choice person. Those decisions, and all other ramifications of them, are deeply personal and should be made by the individual girl/woman and her medical doctor(s), not some other person dictating to them what's going to happen to them and their body and the rest of their lives because you say so.


Well said, sir. Everyone deserves bodily autonomy and the right to decide what to do with their own body. End of.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,760
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

26 Nov 2022, 1:41 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
If I express my beliefs on a post that is not on my personal wall, my post gets taken down or worse case scenario I get banned for a time.

"They" consider not understanding why a woman wouldn't be willing to provide a safe environment for the baby to grow for 40 weeks and then adopted out as hostile and traumatic. Now, I'm not referring to rape, incest, or even an accidental pregnancy. I believe in allowing safe abortion for the first 8 weeks for any reason. I'm referring to the dafties who are pregnant for months before finally arriving at the conclusion that it needs to be dealt with. And then deciding abortion is the solution for an infant with a fully intact neurological system ( can feel pain ).

If you don't strip down buck neked, don your antlers and light a bonfire, while offering up the blood of an infant and chanting homage to Ba'al, you'll be battered.



No one who doesn't want kids is going to sit there holding onto a pregnancy for months and months just to get an abortion, that is insane. The only time pregnancies are terminated later is basically when a woman who wants the baby runs into complications or an emergency later in her pregnancy and it's the best option for her safety.

That is who limits and bans on abortion harm, largely women who want babies. Women who don't want babies already abort very early like as soon as they know they're pregnant.


_________________
We won't go back.


CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2016
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 931
Location: Iowa

26 Nov 2022, 3:00 pm

This isn’t meant to be a debate about abortion. :roll:


_________________
Early 20s male with Asperger’s and what feels like a mood disorder


Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 61,284
Location: Over there

26 Nov 2022, 5:07 pm

 ! Cornflake wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
This isn’t meant to be a debate about abortion. :roll:

^ This.

Please stay on topic.
Hint: it's not abortion.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.