Give me a freaking house.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 3:45 am

seriously it is f*****g stupid that with both our incomes combined we can barely afford an apartment. My boyfriend doees not have the mind to go to collage, but he works hard, full time and what do we get rewarded with but 200 more to pay for rent. So far I get SSI and can do part time work so for now it is working ok. But jesus christ we are two people and it is like the best we can hope for is a less sh***y apartment. can't even dream of having a house not even a duplex, hope rent prices dont go up everywhere like this next year, or we will be homeless. We may have to move out off state, and hopefully someplace will have something we can afford to avoid living on the streets.

I can't go to college to get a better job because of my PTSD, I can't focus in classes because I get to paranoid about if someone with a gun comes in. Cant focus on learning if I am constantly on edge worrying about that. So like what we are doomed just becauuse we can't get collage degrees even though we are capable of work. Like what the f*ck are we even suppose to do. Like if we cannot find a cheaper place in a year we are f****d out of having a roof over our heads.

Sorry I am probably being oveer-dramatic but just not sure we can figure out an actual good plan to adress this in the next year. Because for sure if they raise the price again we wont be able to afford it so hopefully we can find somewhere else to go.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Feb 2023, 4:52 am

No, it is crazy - and, apparently, a big systemic problem of the US. Like, the land use is not adapted to actual population density?

Anyway, I wish you changes for the better :heart:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 4:56 am

It’s ridiculous that people barely get by, and lose apartments, even when working two jobs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 5:08 am

magz wrote:
No, it is crazy - and, apparently, a big systemic problem of the US. Like, the land use is not adapted to actual population density?

I am sure we can find something, just sucks because we wanted to live in this town longer, but we simply cannot afford it so we will have to find something else,, we did some looking around and seems all the apartments around here are too expensive....so yeah we cannot afford to stay in this town, we're just not sure where to move in a year,, we may not be able to afford living in colorado but Idk of any cheaper states that aren't red anti abortion states...unless Minneesota or Michigan is cheaper since I know those states are working to protect abortion right. And if I have to give up mountains the great lakes are pretty cool.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 8:08 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
magz wrote:

I am sure we can find something, just sucks because we wanted to live in this town longer, but we simply cannot afford it so we will have to find something else,, we did some looking around and seems all the apartments around here are too expensive....so yeah we cannot afford to stay in this town, we're just not sure where to move in a year,, we may not be able to afford living in colorado but Idk of any cheaper states that aren't red anti abortion states...unless Minneesota or Michigan is cheaper since I know those states are working to protect abortion right. And if I have to give up mountains the great lakes are pretty cool.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but New Mexico is affordable, and a blue state.

But I really hope you can stay in CO.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:04 pm

If it's any consolation, rent in a 1 bedroom apartment in the city here now exceeds $2700/mo. Almost have to have 2 roommates to afford a 1 bedroom apartment In the city now. :roll: If I move, my plan is to rent an entire house - 5 bedroom if I can get it, maybe 4 if I can't, then sublet the other 2-3 bedrooms to reduce my rent cost and be able to have 1/2 a house + 2 car garage and deck etc for the same price as a 2 bedroom basement suite. Something like that. You may want to consider partnering up with another couple in order to split a house, duplex, or townhouse and make it something you can afford to rent.

As for incomes: What work do you do now? What work does he do? There are plenty of occupations that pay Okay without a college education. Skilled trades/construction/technician type jobs & even just dirty work that others don't want to get their hands dirty doing - like it pays over $30/hr to drive around and suck s**t out of port-o-potty's, or drive a garbage truck, or clean grease traps or septic tanks or crime scenes etc. Hell, it pays $37/hr 25-30h/week to be an attendant at a Skytrain (public transit) station where you just hang around and give people directions to which train or bus to catch. (But that's a GOOD paying job for that starting pay and only happens because it's pseudo-government funded and they pay almost everyone that works for Translink quite well.)

PTSD: If that's a constraint to applying for different work that could lead to longer hours or higher wages, focus on treatment. Whatever resources your medical allows - counselling, etc. And if it allows for Zero, do everything you can to better yourself Yourself -> read books, do suggested written and mental exercises etc etc rinse & repeat until you're functioning better and can focus your time & energy on increasing your earnings capacity.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2023, 7:45 pm

Debt slavery dystopia.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 8:54 pm

In rural Florida, you can still buy homes for well under $100,000. But there is that red state thing and no jobs outside of major cities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 6:00 am

What would probably help the economic situation is more funding for public transportation.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 3:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I can't go to college to get a better job because of my PTSD, I can't focus in classes because I get to paranoid about if someone with a gun comes in. Cant focus on learning if I am constantly on edge worrying about that.

Have you looked into possible ways to earn a degree online? There are some excellent online colleges that existed before the pandemic. My partner got a degree at Empire State College, an online branch of the State University of New York. Perhaps you might want to see if there is something similar in Colorado -- or in whichever state(s) you're considering moving to?