Why does bad luck always happen to me ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm

I always seem to think that bad luck always happens to me.

1) My car nearly always has a probably with locking and everyone else can lock their cars without any problem

2) I'm always having issues logging into something because my password or username is ''incorrect'' or that I can't do something because I haven't got the ''right'' information.

3) I knock things over and in some cases my clothes end up getting covered in mess or get wet.

4) Today I nearly lost my temper because I wanted to check my emails and I couldn't remember my password, so I had to get a link in order to set it up and then it would send me back to the same page without even showing me a link to change the password and then direct me back to the same thing I did before. After about five attempts, it stopped sending me requests because it had reached its limit and required me to try again in 24 hours time. I did at one point feel like throwing my chrome book and other stuff across the room but I didn't. I still right now feel like screaming and close to tears about it but I know doing that just isn't going to help anything.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 2:37 pm

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this sorta stuff.

I've had the second problem quite a bit myself. I've started keeping all of my passwords on a thumbdrive as an extra back-up, which has helped a few times.

For the first problem, does it happen when you use the fob (if you have one) or when the lock is used manually with the key? If it's the former I'd try to get the fob fixed, if it's the latter I'd have the lock looked at.

As for the last one, I've caught myself reduced to that sort of state of similar issues before. It can be hard sometimes to not get worked up, especially if you need access now.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 8:31 pm

I'm serious: My NT husband has a theory that my amped up nervous system generates more electromagnetic energy and makes electrical systems go a bit haywire. It started when I would get upset and street lights would go off as we walked or drove by. Personally I wonder that the streetlights were meant to go off at intervals and I would simply notice. But it happened A LOT. It's stopped happening the past 10 years either b/c I am not as upset as I used to be (I was quite the hothead) or b/c the streetlight technology has changed. :lol:

Still even in the past few months, I will get really worked up over something and the computer will "act up", or the microwave will glitch or whatever electrical issue and my husband will have me step away from the electrical devices for a while. Oh, and of course my mind will lock up also and I will forget my ID is 1324 not 1423. I'm in my 50s now so know to have A LOT of grace for myself --- I don't see it as bad luck anymore. I used to. Now it's my son who thinks of himself as having "bad luck" as he's learning to navigate his hyper sensitivities and reactive nervous system. Pros and Cons I tell him...

Last month, I was catching items falling off the grocery shelf with reflexes matching those of professional athletes. My daughter said "Whoa. Holy, Spidey sense". She was polite in that she didn't point out that I was also the one knocking all the items off the shelf. At work I had spare clothing. I am fully embraced the clumsy professor image. Grace for self.

Oh, today my doctor moved his laptop display and knocked over his tea cup onto the desk and floor. I laughed inside. He's my people. :D

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 9:23 pm

You don't have bad luck...you're neurodiverse/autistic. Its normal for people on the spectrum to be more clumsy. Secondly, its also normal to type something incorrectly and/or misread an instruction or to miss a step when trying to follow directions. It gets worse under stress too. The best thing you can do is take a break, take a breath, try to regain some calm and focus and try again later (when you can). Ask for help when you need it, and realize that repeated trying and failing at something isn't going to help, but will often times make everything worse.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:26 pm

Because you think it does.

If you looked around your life with an attitude of gratitude and thought/said to yourself "Wow, I'm lucky to have a car! Damn am I lucky technology allows password resets when I forget! Good luck I have access to a washing machine every time I get mud on my clothes! Of all the other people I could have been on this Earth, I'm so lucky I have a Chromebook and internet access to keep up with all the latest news & entertainment!" then you'd think you had pretty good luck and you'd be right.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:31 pm

DanielW wrote:
You don't have bad luck...you're neurodiverse/autistic. Its normal for people on the spectrum to be more clumsy. Secondly, its also normal to type something incorrectly and/or misread an instruction or to miss a step when trying to follow directions. It gets worse under stress too. The best thing you can do is take a break, take a breath, try to regain some calm and focus and try again later (when you can). Ask for help when you need it, and realize that repeated trying and failing at something isn't going to help, but will often times make everything worse.

I think this explains some of my "bad luck." I sometimes get myself in bad situations because I don't know or can't process the socially acceptable way to do things, so I just go ahead and act and have to pay the consequences later, when most NTs seem to automatically know not to do that type of thing.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:24 pm

For number 2:

Have you thought about saving your passwords on your computer? If I remember when I had a Chromebook, I could save passwords. It would help when you’re trying to log in to something. If that might be too much, you can always get a little book, or a piece of paper that would have passwords. You can put it in a desk drawer or a hiding place. (You’d just have to remember where it was)

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?