Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 6:23 pm

My sister expects me to move twice if I don’t get a place with pets & I REALLY NEED MY cat. She wanted me to leave my refrigerator, all my food, all my furniture, she allowed me to keep stuff. I know we getting along, she her old self again, how long will that last? She has Bipolar, she has a new disease that paralysis half her face, I think, she told me she blind in one eye. But this mess I’m in, it still her fault, she should sell her house a couple of years ago, then me, her & my nephew would have more money. I feel like crying, I’m so tired crying.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2024, 6:39 pm

At this point, your cat is likely an Emotional Support Animal. This is NOT the same as a service animal, but you do have rights. An ESA can be in an apartment that has a no-pets rule. Do not mention it before signing a lease tho. If you mention an ESA, some landlords will likely deny your application in a no-pets place. Then you can tell them you have an ESA once signing the lease. You will still be responsible if the cat does damage to the property (pees on the carpet, scratches doors, etc.). They cannot raise the rent because of an ESA.

An ESA cannot go into stores & restaurants. It is not protected except in housing situations.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 12:41 am

Blue_Star wrote:
At this point, your cat is likely an Emotional Support Animal. This is NOT the same as a service animal, but you do have rights. An ESA can be in an apartment that has a no-pets rule. Do not mention it before signing a lease tho. If you mention an ESA, some landlords will likely deny your application in a no-pets place. Then you can tell them you have an ESA once signing the lease. You will still be responsible if the cat does damage to the property (pees on the carpet, scratches doors, etc.). They cannot raise the rent because of an ESA.

An ESA cannot go into stores & restaurants. It is not protected except in housing situations.

I wish I have someone that can talk for me, I’m not very good with words. I wish I have a social worker that knows about Autism, I need a caregiver too. I’m in California, I still have those rights?