Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 3:22 pm

I talked to a psychiatrist on video chat, I talked to him for around a few of minutes, he want to give me medicine, I’m not taking it! He don’t know nothing about me. How would he know if the medication is safe for me. I found out he think I'm depress, the women here in the group home think I'm depress, cuz I stay in my bedroom, I don't social & other things that I forgot when the woman in charge talked to me. I stay in my bedroom, cuz of my cat & I don't want to be around people all the time, I do come out of the bedroom to social sometimes, but I don't talk, I talk sometimes. I know it may look bad to them, but they should have ask me first, I know people stay in their bedrooms or in their apartments & not socialize, cuz of depression, Autism people get this way too that doesn't mean they are depress. I do get depressed, but not alot, I get depress sometimes, when I do get depressed, I know how to control it, I turn on Bryan Adams music, he work his MAGIC on me or I take a nap. I know I need medicine, but not for depression. I was soooo BADLY depressed over twenty years ago.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 3:27 pm

If you don't feel that you are depressed and you don't want to take medicine to that end - you shouldn't have to. Don't let other people tell you what to do in this regard.

Having said that, it is probably worth noting that depression is very commonly co-morbid with autistic spectrum disorders, so it isn't an impossibility that you might have some level of depression. But again, if you don't wish to take medicine for depression, you shouldn't have to, unless you are harming yourself as a result of depression, or harming others as a result of that depression.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 4:03 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
If you don't feel that you are depressed and you don't want to take medicine to that end - you shouldn't have to. Don't let other people tell you what to do in this regard.

Having said that, it is probably worth noting that depression is very commonly co-morbid with autistic spectrum disorders, so it isn't an impossibility that you might have some level of depression. But again, if you don't wish to take medicine for depression, you shouldn't have to, unless you are harming yourself as a result of depression, or harming others as a result of that depression.

If I don't take medicine for depression, I will get in trouble, cuz the dr. & the women here THEY THINK THEY KNOW BETTER THAN ME. How can I take medicine for depression if I'm NOT depressed? I know the signs of depression.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 4:11 pm

If you are not depressed, the medications won't work to improve anything and instead you'll only have any side effects they might give you.

They are generally safe though, but in less common instances they can cause depression (this seems counter-intuitive, but is true) and worse.

Fingers crossed for you though that everything will be okay for you taking them (in the event you are forced to do so, which it sounds like is what is happening).

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 11:38 pm

What issues were you seeing the therapist for?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 8:19 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
What issues were you seeing the therapist for?

I wasn’t seeing a therapist, it was the group home therapist, they made me talk to him.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 8:21 pm

Did he do screening tests to diagnose you with depression?
Does he know you're autistic?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2024, 12:17 am

Antidepressants are used for other disorders than depression, like anxiety. Certain antidepressants could help with social anxiety, if you have that. Unfortunately going straight to antidepressants seems to be the default plan for many Psychiatrists today.