I wish my parents made me do ABA Therapy

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 10:07 am

My parents are the stereotypical liberal “everyone’s weird, man, there’s nothing wrong with you man, just smoke weed” people. So they did not involve me in ABA Therapy or force me to make eye contact.

Because of that, i’m stuck living in their house instead of living independently. I could have learned to act more NT, but now I have to play catchup.

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 10:11 am

I could have fit in with the NTs. Good job, socializing on the weekends, nice house, nice car, attractive girlfriend. Thanks for nothing, mom and dad.

My parents are also the reason I’m an uber-conservative and support traditional norms.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 11:54 am

Not all autistics claim that ABA therapy had a positive impact on them

There is no way to know what otherwise would have occurred in the past conditional tense

ABA therapists are human and nobody is perfect.

However nobody lives in ideal circumstances and dwelling on the past won't help you

I keep telling myself, " it is better to fail at moving forward than succeed at moving backwards"

According to your post, it appears to me that, you are successfully moving backwards

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 12:10 pm

ABA is horrible and basically torture. Why in the world would you want to be forced to be like NTs?? Are you being a troll??

People who have been though ABA have developed PTSD or become suicidal. They basically harshly punish you for things you can't help being or doing. ABA is evil and ableist. Would you punish a deaf child for using sign language by holding their hands onto a table or making them eat hot sauce? Then why would it be okay to do so because a kid is harmlessly stimming or not making eye contact? They just don't see autistic people as people, with basic human needs. They just see them as freaks or serial killers and other garbage.

I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until I was an adult in 2001. People put me in hellish situations that most NTs would have found stressful because they had no clue why I acted the way I did, and tried to force me to be act "normal", and all it did was turn me into a sociopath and hate the whole human race. Screw them and screw the planet Earth.

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 12:27 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
ABA is horrible and basically torture. Why in the world would you want to be forced to be like NTs?? Are you being a troll??

People who have been though ABA have developed PTSD or become suicidal. They basically harshly punish you for things you can't help being or doing. ABA is evil and ableist. Would you punish a deaf child for using sign language by holding their hands onto a table or making them eat hot sauce? Then why would it be okay to do so because a kid is harmlessly stimming or not making eye contact? They just don't see autistic people as people, with basic human needs. They just see them as freaks or serial killers and other garbage.

I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until I was an adult in 2001. People put me in hellish situations that most NTs would have found stressful because they had no clue why I acted the way I did, and tried to force me to be act "normal", and all it did was turn me into a sociopath and hate the whole human race. Screw them and screw the planet Earth.

I don’t like being autistic. I want to act NT as I have said in other posts. Even if I have to spend the rest of my life pretending I’m someone else.

FYI, having a controversial opinion is not considered trolling. Please do not speak for me.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 4:42 pm

FrostBender wrote:
I don’t like being autistic. I want to act NT as I have said in other posts. Even if I have to spend the rest of my life pretending I’m someone else.

FYI, having a controversial opinion is not considered trolling. Please do not speak for me.

If that's how you feel, what's keeping you from go ahead and pretend? You don't need any ABA-therapy for that. Look people in the eye, make a lot of small talk without focus on anything in depth - make it shallow. Tell people what you think they want to hear, not what you actually think. Act like you are trying to sell something to them. Use phrases like "Wow! Tell me more! That's interesting!" when someone is telling a story even if you find it boring. In a group setting you should express the opinion of the most popular person in the group regardless of you own personal opinion. Most likely you will find this very tiresome and not enjoyable at all, but if this is what you want - go ahead!

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 11:40 pm

Not all NTs are that shallow.