Everyone blammed my problems in school on my speech...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:12 pm

I found my old report cards and other such things over the years. Which is quite a boon, at this time I'm trying to get a sense of identity... and went though testing to figure out what is up in my upper parts.

In 6th grade, the grade I had the most trouble in, all the reports blamed my problems on a speech impediment I have. I repeated myself often. It seems kind of silly to me, all these interconnected problems I was having... and it can all be summed up because I can't say 's' 'sch' 'ch' sounds?

Gah, I also read that I stopped speech therapy... because my Mom put the decision on me. So if this was a problem, it never was really resolved... I don't have much actual speech problems now. But I do speak softly, and don't express myself.

It's frustrating to think that everyone put the weight of all the bullying, bad grades, behavior issues... on this one minor problem.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2008, 1:03 pm

Interesting speech impediment, I couldn't pronounce the sh sound in 'shrewd' when I was a child, and I think couldn't pronounce the sh in 'shoot' either, so I went to speech therapy, which took care of it fairly quickly. Before that, I just pronounced the words with S or CH as in pouch. I used rolling R's too, which you don't use in Swedish. A typo in your subject line, btw.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 1:26 am

strange. i did speech therapy when i was a kid and they never blamed my problems on that.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 1:42 am

When I was young many years ago, I had to go to speech therapy because of a new york accent! I lived in Oregon at the time and never have been to New York. My dad is from New York and doesn't really have an accent. For some odd reason the school didn't like that fact that I spoke like a New Yorker. I couldn't say my "r's" very well because of it. I am better now though even though some people still think I have an accent. Ain't that exciting? Nooo!! ! We all going to die down here! All because of an accent, how sad is that?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:56 am

It's not about having a valid point to put the blame on - it's about not being personally responsible for the perceived problems. It's kinda cynic, but no one wants to be responsible for problems and thus blamestorming happens. Because otherwise, teachers might think that they failed taking care of discipline and of teaching.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 12:19 am

I wouldn't go into Speech Therapy, if I was payed a million dollars, to do so. If people hate my accent, they don't have to pay attention to it.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 10:09 am

I hope things improve with you soon!