Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 12:04 am

I just pull up Notepad on my computer (or Emacs if I'm using *nix) and start typing. I love the minimalistic nature of it. I will even do bulleted lists with *s and underline sections with tildas.

Technically, something like MS Word would be a whole lot easier, but it just seems like such a bother. :)

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2009, 1:00 am

Nano

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 1:01 am

Good old Notepad.

Me no need no spellchecker.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 4:03 am

I'm a fan of notepad too.

but I'd love to get one of those old school typewriters one day 8)

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2009, 4:10 am

A pen, a typewriter, or Tex (although I've not used it in years).

Unfortunately, at work, I'm forced to use Word. I admit, it's quicker for edits and rewrites than working longhand, but I'm really not inclined toward word processors. There's a certain tactile cause-and-effect they lack. I used to use Tex (or one of its variants) in a whole other lifetime, on an IRIX network... I liked it, the keyboards were noisy and clunky and actually felt solid and responsive, and Tex was incredibly versatile.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 1:57 pm

It depends on what I'm doing.

Notepad usually, WordPad for anything that needs variable width fonts or text formatting. I'll use Edit for those times where I need line numbers, but I really ought to switch to something designed specifically for programming...I'm just lazy, I guess =/

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 1:59 pm

C-57D wrote:
...the keyboards were noisy and clunky and actually felt solid and responsive...

If you go to second-hand shops enough (Goodwill, etc.), you'll eventually find an IBM Model M keyboard for dirt cheap :wink:

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 2:09 pm

open office.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 2:31 pm

Microsoft Word Office. Since I learned some of it's uses in school last year, it's been quite smooth.

I like Notepad for entirely different reasons.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 3:08 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Microsoft Word Office. Since I learned some of it's uses in school last year, it's been quite smooth.

I like Notepad for entirely different reasons.

i used word but it kept hogging my computermemory something godawful..

i too like notepad, but for html. i dont do any html anymore, so ive sortof abandoned notepad

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 3:47 pm

I prefer to use WordPad instead of notepad, because when you do the word wrap on Notepad and then paste it into Microsoft Word, the resulting text has very odd spacing. As a result, Microsoft Word underlines, the end of almost each line in green and you have to go through everything and backspace it to make the green underlines go away.
I prefer to use Notepad for html, but not for writing paragraphs/essays/etc. WordPad doesn't do the annoying spell check and has a few formatting options if you happen to need them.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

Programmer's Notepad on Windows.
Joe on Linux/UNIX.

Yhaqtera
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2009, 6:14 pm

I like Emacs. It has to be GNU/Emacs and not the atrocity that is XEmacs. Emacs provides for me the most versatile editing capability yet offered by a text editor. I goes against the Unix philosophy in being a program which does many things not very well, but who cares? It's been around in one from or another since the 1960s which is cool on its own.

As it is not installed by default in Debian (my distro of choice at the moment) I tend to use vi for most simple edits.

I'm not an Emacs evangelist or a vi-fanatic. I find the two complement each other. I have been seen using ed too, but mostly for enjoyment.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 8:06 pm

In a command line environment, I prefer emacs.

ruveyn

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 2:05 pm

Vim!

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 2:42 pm

I just downloaded Vim last week. I am a VI fanatic. So nice to be able to use vi commands. With vi, I don't even think about the keys I am pressing. My fingers just know the way.