Dog 38%  38%  [ 30 ]
Cat 61%  61%  [ 48 ]
Lizard 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 79

3nails
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

>GASP< Hmmm. Well I guess I'll change my avatar then...

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:11 am

Dogs all the way. There is nothing like coming home after a horrible day at work to find this fuzzy creature fervently wagging it's tail showing how extremely happy it is to see you.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:12 am

Pack orientated dog kind who aren't that touchy. (Not the friendly loves everyone type of dogs.)

Not a fan of cats. Still a softy though; I remember the one cat my family had always used to escape my sister's room when she fell asleep and come into my room and sleep under my bed. He thought I was asleep. I don't think he minded me much as I'd ignore him mostly (though I'd remove him from my room during the day).

Reptiles carry salmonella.

(Horse person though overall.)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:25 am

I like both dogs and cats. I'm a cat person at the moment though.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:32 am

~~~

DNA and archiological research are ongoing but here are the latest credible dates being put forth for earliest domestication of cats and dogs.

Dogs - At least 32,000 years ago, but possibly a lot earlier since DNA tests point to Wolves and Dogs seperating around 100000 years ago.

Cats - About 10,000 years ago

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

I love dogs and cats, not so much lizards, but I save all critters that come in the house, except bad biting ones and put them outside instead of killing them.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

I've had both and like both, but I currently have 2 cats and would pick cats purely because they are easier to look after than dogs.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

I don't like the sense of entitlement that cats have. Anything they like is their personal scratching post, they only want to see you when they want something like food & then 1ce they get what they want; they want nothing to do with you. The ancient Exemptions used to worship cats & the cats have never forgotten that special treatment.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't like the sense of entitlement that cats have. Anything they like is their personal scratching post, they only want to see you when they want something like food & then 1ce they get what they want; they want nothing to do with you.

I find as long as they are well trained they wont mess with your stuff. One of them is your typical lazy cat that will only spring to life when he hears movement in the kitchen. My other cat is very friendly though and always comes to me for attention and spends most of the time in my room. I've also had friends with rather friendly cats too. Like humans, they are all different in their own ways.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

Colinn wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I don't like the sense of entitlement that cats have. Anything they like is their personal scratching post, they only want to see you when they want something like food & then 1ce they get what they want; they want nothing to do with you.

I find as long as they are well trained they wont mess with your stuff. One of them is your typical lazy cat that will only spring to life when he hears movement in the kitchen. My other cat is very friendly though and always comes to me for attention and spends most of the time in my room. I've also had friends with rather friendly cats too. Like humans, they are all different in their own ways.

I heard cats are untrainable but maybe they just aren't as easily trainable as dogs or they need to be trained differently. I imagine cats can have very different personalities & that can make a big difference. I have no problems with cats(I'll pet them when I'm around them & they'll let me) but I don't understand them & I don't get why they are more favored by Aspies than dogs are. I would think that dogs would be more popular with Aspies. Aspies like predictability & dogs are more predictable, some breeds of dogs are trained as service animals for people with various disabilities or mental things including autism because dogs are more trainable & they can lean to sense their owners emotions & how to respond to them

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

I've read that the Manx Cat is quite dog-like for a cat -- they reportedly have a much stronger need to be with people than most cats. They supposedly can fetch as well.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

I have a book called "All Cats Have Aspergers", a gift from my mom.

I loves my kitties, all three and a half of 'em! (I share an outdoor cat with a neighbor)
One is older and loves to sit in the sun, likes to be cuddled, but not picked up.
One is very friendly, loves to play and be cuddled.
One is evil and likes to get into trouble when she thinks you're not looking.
The outdoor one follows me the several blocks it takes to get my mail. I love the company.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:48 pm

I'm more a dog person if I'm honest but I like that cats are a lot easier to look after :)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:56 pm

In addition to cats and dogs, I also like horses, cattle, sheep, and birds.

I like horned toads, but as wild creatures, not pets. It supposedly takes someone quite skilled in keeping them to be able to successfully raise them. And some of them are very seriously protected species.

I've never had goats. When I was young, we had them on the farm, but I just barely remember them. I grew up on goats milk, not cows milk. My sister really hated those goats because she was the one who had to milk them.

We used to have a pet steer. My niece kind of adopted it out of the 120 cattle or so we had at the time. When it got time to send the cattle to the feedlot, that steer stayed behind. His named was Cutie Pie. Cutie Pie lived to a ripe old age of about 10 or 12 years.

Burros are okay. It would be interesting to have a couple of buffalos, but they really require heavy duty fences and really careful handling. They aren't very suitable as pets.

What I would really love to have as a pet is a pet skunk. The only thing that really keeps me from doing that is that skunks are supposed to be a major reservoir of rabies. And there are no rabies vaccines approved for skunks. In many states, I think there are state laws against even having skunks for pets. I don't know what the law is in Texas on that matter.

A friend of mine had a pet coyote once. He trapped coyotes and sold the furs for spending money. One day he found a baby coyote near where he had trapped the mother so he raised it by hand. He got to like that pet coyote so much that he quit trapping coyotes completely.

I've heard of people having a pet porcupine. We also have badgers around here but they always seemed to mean to have as a pet.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

nick007 wrote:
I heard cats are untrainable but maybe they just aren't as easily trainable as dogs or they need to be trained differently. I imagine cats can have very different personalities & that can make a big difference. I have no problems with cats(I'll pet them when I'm around them & they'll let me) but I don't understand them & I don't get why they are more favored by Aspies than dogs are. I would think that dogs would be more popular with Aspies. Aspies like predictability & dogs are more predictable, some breeds of dogs are trained as service animals for people with various disabilities or mental things including autism because dogs are more trainable & they can lean to sense their owners emotions & how to respond to them

They can be trained to an extent but not as easily as dogs. One of mine had a bad habit of scratching the back of the couch, but once trained she stopped doing it. As I say, I do like both but dogs require more maintenance than my cats do, especially because they are outdoor cats. I think cats can pick up on your emotions as well. My friendlier cat tends to give me more attention if I'm feeling low, or if I'm feeling energetic she will have a nibble at my hand letting me know she wants to play :)

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

3nails wrote:
>GASP< Hmmm. Well I guess I'll change my avatar then...

As flattered as I am, you don't need to change your avatar for me. I may not like it, but I can cope.