Men who drive automatic are "p*****s"?? :(

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

ShadyChris
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2013, 8:33 am

duncvis wrote:
I suspect in part preference may also vary depending on folk's individual autism related issues - for example, my elder son is significantly dyspraxic and would undoubtedly struggle to incorporate the hand/foot/eye coordination plus attention to his surroundings required to successfully drive a manual car in UK traffic, hence him qualifying for a bus pass. I have no such difficulties, nor does my younger autistic son. Your mileage may vary - a point worth pondering I think.

That's partly why I use an auto, I thought I would be far too clumsy to use a manual so I started in an auto to get the test done with faster, but I've tried a manual and it's not that dire, but since I'm used to automatic I might as well use it for now.

(Although since it's an ancient Jeep the auto box doesn't actually work so I have to drive it semi-manually anyway :roll: )

I've never heard anyone get on their high horse about wiggling a foot and hand ever so slightly more than someone else, at least in the UK anyway.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 8:42 am

Chummy wrote:
Well?? Why do men who can drive only automatic cars, like me, get responses like "p****", "Grandma", etc.

C'mon people be more mature.... (I didn't get that response personally but it's pretty common for many men). It's so stupid. Sometime I wish I was a woman. Men are generally expected to achieve more, a high salary job, a good house, be savvy with how to repair everything.... While if a woman is unemployed it's considered "ok" because she has to take care of the children, laundry, cooking etc. I mean I ain't a chauvinist - I advocate the 50-50 method.... but c'mon those conservative "primitive" men are annoying me! dang it XD

I agree and as a feminist I´d say, everyone driving an automatic car is a pussie. Sorry, bad joke. I´d say it simply a thing of getting used to it, so in the USA, where I think you have many automatic cars you dont need that much to get used to it, while in Europe earlier or later you simply have to practice with it, at least when your car is broken. But my father really liked it, he was bus driving all day, and after a holiday in the USA when he first drove automatic, afterwards when his old car had to be trashed, he searched for one with automatic. :)

jlsvc92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2013, 8:58 am

I think manual is just for people who really enjoy driving (like me).
Pure automatics are for people who don't really enjoy driving or are lazy.

Here automatics are sold mostly in cars that care more about being comfortable than being fun or in very powerful cars (powerful cars need a better use of the clutch, most of people can't use them decently)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:46 am

meow. Image

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
meow. Image
:lmao:

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:00 am

Andras wrote:
duncvis wrote:
It's a bit of a moot point here in the UK - over 90% of cars are manual transmission. Automatics are de facto cars for people with restricted mobility/the elderly, and practically everyone learns to drive in a manual.
It's the same here.

I learned to drive in a manual. However my aunt gave me her car a few weeks after I got my drivers license which was an automatic. I instantly got hooked by it and have been driving in automatics ever since. It's so much easier and I'm just far more focused on the road because I don't have to think about shifting gears. I'm probably no longer able to drive in manuals, It's been roughly 5 years since I last drove in one.

Same here, I drive a semi automatic so still have a handbrake and can override the automatic and switch to manual to nudge gears up or down myself. But all in all I stick to automatic since it allows me to focus on traffic.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:18 am

Chummy wrote:
Well?? Why do men who can drive only automatic cars, like me, get responses like "p****", "Grandma", etc.

C'mon people be more mature.... (I didn't get that response personally but it's pretty common for many men). It's so stupid. Sometime I wish I was a woman. Men are generally expected to achieve more, a high salary job, a good house, be savvy with how to repair everything.... While if a woman is unemployed it's considered "ok" because she has to take care of the children, laundry, cooking etc. I mean I ain't a chauvinist - I advocate the 50-50 method.... but c'mon those conservative "primitive" men are annoying me! dang it XD

that stupid. Lots of people around my area can only drive automatics. They don't get any grief for it.

Seems like those men are just another example of people using minor differences as an excuse to pick on others.